This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Greasing 7580 driveshafts

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjwb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greasing 7580 driveshafts
    Posted: 13 May 2022 at 11:49pm
Was wondering if anyone is using certain grease gun setup or other  tricks or tips to make greasing the back of driveshafts on 7580 less of a headache. I think I have a tube of grease in the rear from constantly trying to keep the connection square with enough pressure to the zerks when I'm lucky enough to have them somewhat accessible.  Any tips to make life easier when greasing would be appreciated. 
Sponsored Links

darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:46am
It's a two man job, need to put about a five foot hose on the grease gun. One person wiggles into the articulation area and puts the end of the hose on the grease fitting; other guy holds the grease gun and hits the trigger when prompted to!
Darrel
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2022 at 7:47am
Paint a white line close to the front so you can see it to align with the position you want it to be at to be able to grease it.
tjwb71 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjwb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2022 at 9:24pm
2 man job is right. Unfortunately hard to find the 2nd guy.  The line makes sense, fortunately it still has sticker on top shaft where should be to grease.  The bottom shaft is always hit and miss. The back side of shafts in "cave", I've been using a 90 degree attachment, but it, like always, wants to push out from the attachment.  I put 90 degree zercs on front drive shaft u joints, will try them in back also, if clearance works.. Thanks for replies.  I love the tractor for planting, but that was major oversite by Allis trying to grease them. The front drive train, have to get underneath tractor, but those have plenty clearance to get to. 
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2022 at 11:10am
Per service rep of the 1770's/'s80's we used high temp - no melt grease - at no more than 8 hour intervals - in the rice fields with lots of turns the larger plantations greased 2x per day.  They mounted a grease gun with a long hose... dedicated to each tractor

When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
tjwb71 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tjwb71 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2022 at 10:53pm
A guy I know has a couple 7580 and a 8550 and he says the more frequent the better.  If you can get the zercs in back where they need to be in order to get grease nozzle on them its not easy but doable. The problem is moving the tractor, shutting it off, repeat, until get lucky enough to have them were you want.  I tried some 90 degree zercs in back but not enough clearance so I'm looking for a threaded 90 degree coupler instead. 
GM Guy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GM Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2022 at 11:20pm
I have a 4' hose on a pistol grip grease gun with a straight coupler.

I am 6'4" so I have just enough armspan to reach in there.

not much fun, but not terrible.
Gleaner: the properly engineered and built combine.

If you need parts for your Gleaner, we are parting out A's through L2's, so we may be able to help.
Oldwrench View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Oldwrench Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:45am
Would one of the "quick lok" type connectors be helpful?  I put one of those on an electric gun, and it made greasing everything really easy.  Just clip it on to the zerk.  It seals tight and holds, then touch the gun button with the other hand.  Sure made it a lot easier than trying to pump while holding the fitting on at the same time.
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 8:29am
Originally posted by Oldwrench Oldwrench wrote:

Would one of the "quick lok" type connectors be helpful?  I put one of those on an electric gun, and it made greasing everything really easy.  Just clip it on to the zerk.  It seals tight and holds, then touch the gun button with the other hand.  Sure made it a lot easier than trying to pump while holding the fitting on at the same time.

Yes, I forgot to mention in my response, that we have a lock n lube on the end of our grease gun hose
Darrel
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 5:31pm
I know nothing about the specific 4WD tractor being mentioned, however could a U-Joint cap be drilled for a grease fitting to make for easier access? I've seen a lot of U-Joints that only have the grease fitting in the cap.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic