This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fiat/Allis 16B

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 6:03am
MinnPar has parts catalogues on line

It looks like you have an in-line pump
Sponsored Links

Neegan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2022 at 8:54am
I got the number from a friend of a fella who spent 35yrs building and rebuilding pumps for a living but is now retired. He works on them at home now and he told me not to mess with taking the pump apart that he thinks he can get it working on the dozer. He's coming by the first part of next week, and I will be watching him closely to see what I can learn.
 Thanks for all the advice and thanks for that link Ian.
Neegan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:11am
Well bad news, now water is getting into the oil from the radiator. It's at this point that I'm going to have to step away from this dozer. I have a new 24v starter for sale if anyone needs it. 

BTW- Does anyone know anything about a fiat/allis fd 8 dozer? There's one about 80 miles from me for sale.  Thanks again.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 9:50am
Probably the engine oil cooler seals have shrunk up from setting. Easy to repair if so but liner seals are a different animal of course. Is the coolant green, or is it just water? Is it rusty colored or look "good". The innards of that engine are kinda expensive if hard parts are needed.....
Neegan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 11:29am
We drained the radiator and it was a light green and you could smell the antifreeze. If its a easy and not 'costly' repair for the oil cooler seals I would be ok, just not wanting to have to go into the engine. Any advice on how to tell where the water is coming in at?
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 12:36pm
Drop the oil pan, refill the coolant and pressurize the cooling system with an air pump or 20psi regulated shop air. Look at the bottom of the cylinder liners for leaking coolant that would escape into the oil pan. If it is not leaking at the liners it is possible either the oil cooler, turbocharger, water pump, or head gasket areas are compromised.

Liner seals can seal themselves if the engine is allowed to come up to temperature. Not stating flat out they will; just they can. That engine has set a long time so rubber parts and shrinkage are a strong concern. Oil cooler failure is common and just resealing the same takes care of it if the culprit. Seldom does the core go bad if the coolant has been maintained. Given it was green and smelled strongly of ethylene glycol, (assumed) I'd wager it's not too bad as far as the cooling system.

All this is of course assuming the seller has been straightforward in descriptions to you. Maybe it was put away due to coolant in the oil? We don't know from this vantage point. I like to think people honest but that's not always the case when selling something.....
Neegan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 5:31pm
Thank you for all your time and help. I went by and talked to the owner today and told him I was going to have to pass on the dozer, Just to many unknowns for me to pay him 4k for it.
Codger View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Codger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 May 2022 at 10:00pm
No worries. Just attempting to allow you a somewhat informed decision. Some of this old iron can really be a can of worms if you're not real handy, industrious, or just a glutton for punishment for sure. You mentioned early on it needed some expensive and limited availability parts, so a cautious approach was necessary IMO.
Neegan View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neegan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2022 at 8:25pm
I found a pretty nice ol' Allis Chalmers HD16 DP at a auction not far away and bid on it and got it. It appears to be a 68 or 69 model, does have a lift cylinder leak but other than that and a fair set of rails and sprockets the dozer looks good.
 Unlike the last hd16 this on runs, operates, steers, so that has me waay ahead compared to the last one. Wish I could post pics. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic