This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190XTD fuel sediment bowls ?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190XTD fuel sediment bowls ?
    Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 12:40am
Apparently, the fuel tank on my XTD has been sweating a lot lately with our yo-yo KY weather-enough so that both of the sediment bowls filled up with water and then froze. I am 50 and have run this tractor my whole life and have never seen this happen before. One more reason to miss NY winters and hate these KY winters IMO. Luckily, the glass bowls did not break. I was none the wiser until just the other day during the latest thaw when walking the dog past the tractor, I heard something running/leaking. That was when I discovered both sediment bowls full of ice with the right hand side bowl leaking diesel fuel onto the ground. I was able to turn both valves in and then get the bowls off to get the ice out. The problem I have now is that the right side valve does not shut off the flow completely no matter how tight I turn it in. It continues to drip with the valve as tight as it will go. This is also the case even with the bowl back in place-I know the bowl isn't sealing because the gasket is shot and the bail screw is shot as well-need to order new ones. My question is: What are my chances of satisfactorily repairing/replacing just the shut off valves with both sediment bowl assemblies still in the tractor WITHOUT disturbing the fuel lines and removing the bases completely from the fuel tank?? I'd rather not replace the whole sediment bowl assemblies unless I absolutely have to due to the housing itself being busted from freezing because it is my opinion that these originals(?) are much better quality than anything new on the shelf today. TIA
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Sponsored Links

MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 7:09am
New May not be same quality, but when they freeze and long time use they get bowed where gasket seals and no longer seal.                    MACK
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:12am
Been too many years gone by, but if you have the left sediment bowl shut-off valve  turned on, it will still fill the right sediment bowl, correct ?? even tho you have the right side shut off...…..???
Dakota Dave View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dakota Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 4:11pm
If it's not turning all the way off take the bowl off and use a 1/2 inch fuel lines on air blower blow back through the valve and see if you can close after that. I had to replace both mine on my 190 the right one was real hard the left impossiable.i ended up siphoning the tank completely empty. Towing it into the shop and working on it.
calico190xt68 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote calico190xt68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:57am
I replaced both of my sediment bowls and they are a pain to get access to.  I actually did my changes at dark because I couldn't see underneath there during the day.  It was all by feel anyway.  My fuel lines had been replaced with rubber hose so I didn't have to worry about matching up to the old lines. 

Both of my needle valves on the new bowls had to be adjusted before they would shut off.  I had to unscrew them and change their depth at where they sealed.  Neither of them completely shutoff even now.  I got tired of messing with them.  The old ones wouldn't seal well so I stuck with the new ones.

Funny you should bring up the ice issue.  I had the same exact thing happen about a month ago.  Only it was my right side bowl.  It got cold and warmed up and that's when it started leaking.  By the time I saw it, I had lost about 20 gallons of fuel.  That sucked. 

I am suspecting that my fuel tank sending unit gasket isn't sealing and letting rain water in around it.  I am going to reseal it.  The reason why I think it is the culprit is due to only that side having the water.  I believe there is a baffle in the tank that is preventing the water from getting to the other side but I could be wrong.  If you have water in both sediment bowls that is a lot of water accumulation from just condensation in my opinion.  Due to barn space issues, I had to let my 190 sit outside for about a month.  Leaving it inside should prevent both condensation and leaks.
80 7010 w/Cab, 67 190XTD Series I w/500 Loader, AC 2000 Plow, AC 4 row Planter, AC 77G Rake, Member Indiana A-C Partners, Member TAC
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:28pm
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

Been too many years gone by, but if you have the left sediment bowl shut-off valve  turned on, it will still fill the right sediment bowl, correct ?? even tho you have the right side shut off...…..???
LMAO DOC !!! This is EXACTLY what happened to dad several years ago ClapClap !! He kept a bucket under the RH bowl until I told him about the LH bowl/shut-off Embarrassed
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 4:25am
Originally posted by DrAllis DrAllis wrote:

YES, it does! Good memory there Doc.
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic