This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

$22,000 L3

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: $22,000 L3
    Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 12:37pm
Did anyone else see the L3 that sold for $22,000 this morning? The 24’ header sold separate for $6,000. Pretty amazing, two other L3s sold for over $10,000 today. It’s nice to see these conventionals bringing that kind of money. Anyone want to speculate why?

Here’s a link:

https://www.bigiron.com/Lots/1984Allis-ChalmersGleanerL3Combine
Sponsored Links

Ron(AB) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ron(AB) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:19pm
It has low hours and in nice shape...you could get those dollars here in Can.

Edited by Ron(AB) - 19 Jan 2022 at 1:19pm
405, 7000, 7050, 8050, 8070, L3, 2300 & 2600 disk
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 1:21pm
Wow, an almost 40 year old combine/header setup for $28,000.  I'm sure the whole answer of "why" is multi faceted and intertwined.  Not sure about combines specifically, but some new equipment was  a year minimum out from order placed last fall.  So....if you really need a machine, maybe ran one years ago and are familiar with what you can do with it and how to work on it, so you get one to hold you over until a new or newer one comes available?  

I bought a combine, flex head, and header cart this summer of about that vintage for less than half that and it gave me very little trouble this year.  Header cart was practically brand new.  Sometimes ya' get lucky, sometimes you don't.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:10pm
I watched an auction last night of a JD 9550 sell in Londonberry, Ohio, I think, on the 14 of Jan sell for $39,000.  Around a twenty year old machine with around 3200 hours on it.  Auction Pete had it on YouTube and Brians farm was there filming too.
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:13pm
As said, shortage of new equipment, coupled with difficulty of getting electronic parts for newer machines.  On top of that a lot of new equipment has proprietary software/tools making repair availablity limited and expensive.  
Sometimes simpler is better!!!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:19pm
I see the R70 with 4400 hours and a Doutz V8 only brought $4100.

CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:50pm
I think having a Deutz air diesel hurts the value of those simply because of the horror stories that float around that are rooted in improper maintenance.
I’ve always heard if they are maintained (oil leaks fixed, impellers replaced when needed, fins kept clean) that they are a very good engine.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 2:52pm
Originally posted by Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Greg (Hillsboro, OH) wrote:

As said, shortage of new equipment, coupled with difficulty of getting electronic parts for newer machines.  On top of that a lot of new equipment has proprietary software/tools making repair availablity limited and expensive.  
Sometimes simpler is better!!!

I agree! I guess it’s that way with everything these days, from cars to combines. Older machines are just commanding a higher price than they did just a few years ago.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 3:45pm
There was a green stripe with only 600 separator hours that sold today on purplewave for only $8900 with 15ft head. That was a steal but the green stripe just don't look the same.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:49pm
Tractor house had a green stripe L3 sold today for $10,100, non rwa, no heads. To me that sounds about right. Maybe even a bit high. 
Leon B MO
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
1963D17 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 1963D17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:00pm
Inflation and us smaller farmers can't afford a 6 figure machine. I bought my 6620 with 213 and 443 heads 15 years ago for 7500.00 Sold them this fall after harvest for 10,750.00
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 5:02pm
Originally posted by CrestonM CrestonM wrote:

I think having a Deutz air diesel hurts the value of those simply because of the horror stories that float around that are rooted in improper maintenance.
I’ve always heard if they are maintained (oil leaks fixed, impellers replaced when needed, fins kept clean) that they are a very good engine.
LMAO !!! There's a poster on NAT that slams the Duetz Engine on his "former" machine !!! Seems like he was the only guy with problems/fixes with that engine ConfusedLOL . He also had issues with a "FORD" branded 4X4 tractor Wink. Seems like his replacement GREEN machine dropped a front axle in the field though Confused.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 6:45pm
The V8s are a little bit more prone to fires per what my mechanic says. I've seen more 50 and 40s burned that 60s. Also that 70 had 4 times the amount of hours on it. 4 times+ the wear since it has double the capacity of the L3. I haven't called anyplace about rebuild parts for a V8 but have heard it's 25 to $30,000. So not cheap if it needs motor work.
8070FWA,7080 BlackBelly, 7045,2 200s,D19,D17,G, WD,45,UC,7 AC mowers and lots more!
"IT TAKES 3 JD's TO OUT DO AN ALLIS, 2 TO MATCH IT IN THE FIELD AND 1 FOR PARTS!"
Tom59 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom59 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 7:44pm
I wonder what a nice Gleaner F3 in the same condition would bring ?
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 7:54pm
TAX Write off
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

LMAO !!! There's a poster on NAT that slams the Duetz Engine on his "former" machine !!! Seems like he was the only guy with problems/fixes with that engine ConfusedLOL . He also had issues with a "FORD" branded 4X4 tractor Wink. Seems like his replacement GREEN machine dropped a front axle in the field though Confused.

Maybe the Deere costs less to keep running even with that relatively minor repair? Maybe he’d buy a second Deere in a heartbeat if he found the right deal? Maybe he has a lot more actual farming experience than your pot stirring punk butt.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 9:16pm
There was also a decent enough L2 on purple wave with a 24'header "last ran 2 years ago" that only brought 1800 together. Hard to tell sometimes.
Luke R. View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke R. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:48am
I just bought 2 L2's off of Big Iron a month ago for under $4000. One had a 6 row corn head that was a one owner machine and the other one had a decent 15' bean head. Both had great running 426's in them and we drove them home 65 miles with not one issue. I was bidding on the one with the corn head and since the other was at the same farm, they were going cheap enough i thought, so i just kept hitting the bid button and boom they are in my yard!!
4-7030's,170G,220FWA,3-220's,210,D21II,D21I industrial,2-200's,3-190's,175D,2-D19D's,D19G,WD45,WD,CA,2-UCont.,5015FWA,917,B110,Gleaner F
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 8:52am
Luke, I've got to get down and visit you guys this summer!
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:05pm
Originally posted by Daehler Daehler wrote:

There was a green stripe with only 600 separator hours that sold today on purplewave for only $8900 with 15ft head. That was a steal but the green stripe just don't look the same.

Was that the one that had grain still in the bin?
Adam Stratton View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adam Stratton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 10:35pm
Yes. That caught my eye too
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 1:12am
Heck, if there was 50 bushels of grain in the bin, that paid for half the machine!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:29am
The grain was there to hide the rotten floor....
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:47am
Maybe the grain caused the rotten floor haha
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 9:25am

Either way a good hint to run. Doubt the guy left it there for the heck of it. Betting it plays into why it was for sale.
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 10:08am
I’m sure it was. That would be my first question when I called the seller.
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 12:08pm
Holy Toledo, Batman!  As for speculation:  New combines are priced completely out of the reach of a medium to small size farmer. So are most used combines. The old Gleaner conventional combines are reliable, comparatively easy to work on, parts are still available, and $22,000 is CHEAP compared to any newer used combine on the market. And if the old Gleaner is in good shape it's a good buy.
Daehler View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Daehler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 4:09pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Either way a good hint to run. Doubt the guy left it there for the heck of it. Betting it plays into why it was for sale.

That's not always the case. That combine was at K State hence the reason for low hours. I don't see how someone could say the bottom of the bin was bad in a shed kept machine. Hard telling why the left the milo in it. I didn't look at the thing in person but I've studied pictures pretty darn hard and can tell if it's a t**d or not. That combine wasn't a t**d. Biggest issue would be dryrot of rubber on it. The 9170 that sold there was probably the cleanest nicest original tractor you could find for one of those models. I'd say the school just need to update equipment or the program changed.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by victoryallis victoryallis wrote:

Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Maybe the Deere costs less to keep running even with that relatively minor repair? Maybe he’d buy a second Deere in a heartbeat if he found the right deal? Maybe he has a lot more actual farming experience than your pot stirring punk butt.
You called the "rolled-under" front axle a "MINOR REPAIR" ?? 
Yes, I know who you are LOLLOLClapClap !!

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 5:51pm
Originally posted by Tom59 Tom59 wrote:

I wonder what a nice Gleaner F3 in the same condition would bring ?
There "used to be" an outfit in Pennsylvania that only sold combines, his F3's were pretty pricy if memory serves Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic