This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crankcase Oil ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crankcase Oil ??
    Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:04pm
I had to stop in to a local independent shop yesterday to get a tire patched. As I was waiting in the shop bay, I noticed multiple shelve of FRAM motor oil as well as more shelves of COSTCO (Kirkland) oil of varying viscosities . When did Fram start making oils and have any of you run Costco oil ?? Thanks
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:45pm
Fram, and Costco have the oils ‘contract packaged’. That is they hire an oil company to refine, package, and label the oils with their own name on it.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:53pm
I believe the contractor is AMALIE OIL from Florida.... They use to make for Car Quest and others with the  "Car Quest" name on the bottle... Now those Auto Parts places have replace their " STORE BRAND" with "FRAM"  ( same oil, new name) to get the BRAND NAME recognition.

Same as Wal Mart using "TECH" as their "in house" oil.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:54pm
Reputable oil in your opinion ? I've been told that everything that is under the KIKLAND name is well above par for quality as far as the big chains go and their house brands Embarrassed ??
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:57pm
All oils today meet a STANDARD SPEC.... Some have a few more addatives than others.... but ALL MOTOR OILS today are far superior to the "BEST" oils you could buy 30 years ago.

you ever go the the  "ALLIS DEALER" and buy "ALLIS OIL"  or "ALLIS FILTERS" ??  Wink
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:00pm
Read the label! See what API Service is listed and if any Manufacturers recommend that oil! Or if it meets Manufacturers specifications!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

All oils today meet a STANDARD SPEC.... Some have a few more addatives than others.... but ALL MOTOR OILS today are far superior to the "BEST" oils you could buy 30 years ago.

you ever go the the  "ALLIS DEALER" and buy "ALLIS OIL"  or "ALLIS FILTERS" ??  Wink
Thanks for the info Steve. I've never bought oil from our AGCO dealer, but multiple filters, WAY cheaper than NAPA WinkWink !!

Edited by FREEDGUY - 14 Jan 2022 at 7:07pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

Read the label! See what API Service is listed and if any Manufacturers recommend that oil! Or if it meets Manufacturers specifications!
What is it about FRAM  that makes most people cringe at the sound of that name ??
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:09pm
Like others have said, check the label for proper viscosity, and application ie: SN/CJ etc., then your good to go.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Originally posted by klinemar klinemar wrote:

What is it about FRAM  that makes most people cringe at the sound of that name ??

Fram had a quality control problem years ago, many felt they had the lowest quality oil filters on the market. I personally have not had a problem with them, but if I buy one, it is not the cheap one. I get the HD version.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:18pm
EVERY bottle of oil sold has an API letter pair on it... for AUTO the letters start with Sx.... for DIesel the letters start with Cx ..........."MOST" oils on the shelves will meet one of the latest two "API SPEC" ..(SP or SN)......  Oils are backward compatable, not forward compatable... you can use a 2020 year SPEC in a 1990 car.. But you cant use a 1990 oil in a 2020 car..

Edited by steve(ill) - 14 Jan 2022 at 7:20pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:21pm
API spec has NOTHING to do with Viscosity..... You need to check your manual to see if you need a 5W20.... or 10w30 type oil ( example)... but they ALL will say SP on the bottle.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 8:14pm
Freedguy, Steve is not bashing Fram and neither am I! You use Oil that is recommended for your vehicle and what the specs are for the Oil! I could care less if you used Corn Oil or Olive Oil! I would ask that you read the label before pouring it into your vehicle!
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 12:58pm
Don't confuse viscosity (thickness) ratings and service ratings.  Viscosity=numbers=how thick/thin the oil is.  Service ratings=Letters=Prefix "S" =Spark Ignition and prefix "C"= Compression Ignition.  Second letter is sequential, i.e. the higher in the aphabet the second letter is, the "better quality" the oil is.  I do think the highest Service rating was SN when I was teaching shop.  The information on the label was many times ,"selling the sizzle and not the steak."  Tried to teach kids to look for the "target" of the API "donut" to get most of the SAE/API  information without a lot of the hype.  R. Musgrave
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:22pm
Once again, a simple question got ALL KINDS of FUBAR'D Cry !! 
The original post had NOTHING to do with viscosity/API ratings Ouch !!
PLEASE READ GUYS !!!!!!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:30pm
Your an IDIOT..... AFTER the first post, YOU ASKED if the Store Brand oils were QUALITY.... THAT depends on the API rating !!

And mentioning that Viscosity is NOT related to API is just additional info for those that DONT KNOW.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:34pm
AND.... you dont control the POST... YOU ask a question and others can chip in with additional questions or info... Its NOT your SHOW.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

AND.... you dont control the POST... YOU ask a question and others can chip in with additional questions or info... Its NOT your SHOW.
Point taken Steve, but even you've got to admit, this is FAR from FRAM and KIRKLAND WinkWink !!  
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 6:57pm
Did you miss my response?
AllisFreak MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisFreak MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

Did you miss my response?
He's probably seeing double by now, it is Saturday night and all.
'49 A-C WD, '51 A-C WD, '63 A-C D17 Series III, 1968 A-C One-Seventy, '82 A-C 6060, '75 A-C 7040, A-C #3 sickle mower, 2 A-C 701 wagons, '78 Gleaner M2
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 12:16pm
Local outfit that packaged oil made or blended oils for many different labels. 
Friend worked there part time and could get oil at reduced prices . I bought oil for IH -Hi tran fluid and he asked me if I wanted the IH labeled oil or the generic oil packaged for other labels . Said additives differed some according to label but all met the Military Spec # for the product . 
  So another way to judge products id to use Military Spec # but not all products print that on container , usually only on bulk 5 gal or above containers . 
 Friend got me the true IH formula but i had to wait a week until they ran that batch and also had to provide the containers for him to fill when they ran it .   
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 12:21pm
For older engines the big thing that is missing from modern oil is the addition of ZINC as a anti-wear additive , especially in engines that use lifters off cam that may be flat bottom non rotating lifters such as small engines , motorcycle engines , and older cars . 
  You could add ZINC based additives like STP to oil but even that additive has reduced the Zinc level to meet modern EPA restrictions . 
 Seems the specs for Diesel oils has also changed as older additive packages now foul up the CAT-Converters on modern regen units used on Diesels 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 5:40pm
Wife just sent me pics/prices of Costco oil; FULL synthetic  0-20;5W-3O IN 10 QUART PACKS FOR $30. 15w40 diesel oil is $32/ 10 quart unit. Good or bad pricing ??
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 5:59pm

Wife just sent me pics/prices of Costco oil; FULL synthetic  0-20;5W-3O IN 10 QUART PACKS FOR $30. 15w40 diesel oil is $32/ 10 quart unit. Good or bad pricing ??
BTW, our local Costco had pallet fulls of each Wink
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:27pm

BTW, our local Costco had pallet fulls of each Wink

Well are you a sheep and stay with and follow the herd or you the coyote that goes your own way ????

Sounds like a cheaper price for synthetic oil. But I payed 4.60 g for 87 test gas today, so how would I know.

The S A E oil rating system was explained to you here. If you believe the testing is legit and one or another party has not been payed off.................the oil SHOULD BE THE SAME no matter what name it has if it is the same grade (not viscosity).

So YOU have to engage brain and make a choice. 
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:33pm
It was just an observation of $$. I do NOT run full synthetic as is runs through the 5.4 like corn through a goose !!
I'll stick with Rock Auto for my oil needs Wink !! 
You guys have blown this innocent topic WAY out of proportion with API/VISCOSITY BSCry

Edited by FREEDGUY - 16 Jan 2022 at 6:38pm
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:34pm
Prices are very competitive. Buy it.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 6:40pm
Thanks LARS. Do you have a Costco in your area? I mentioned above while you were typing, I can't run full synthetic Embarrassed.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 8:47pm
Beer
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 9:04pm

Thanks LARS. Do you have a Costco in your area? I mentioned above while you were typing, I can't run full synthetic Embarrassed.

No, there is not.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic