This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

190 torque tube removal

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 190 torque tube removal
    Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 9:08am
Finally got my early 190xt in my garage to get after torque tube removal. The gears up inside (when looking up from the bottom) are completely toothless. Watched a ton of videos and read a lot of manual procedures. Where to start? Should or can I, split at engine first and roll back the rear of tractor then remove torque tube from transmission? Or do I have to lift fuel tank and platform split at transmission first? Figured I'm better off asking those that know? Thanks for any help and directions, John
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:03pm
If I was in your shoes, I'd never swap the whole torque housing. It doesn't take many special tools to just transfer over the gears from one housing to the other. Using the large hex nut from the junk hollow shaft, just weld a couple of legs to the nut and a cross bar and attach a 4 lb slide hammer to remove it. The same slide hammer can then remove the intermediate shaft by making a fine thread attachment to the slide hammer and another one to pull the dowels on the PTO box. Once the rearend is rolled back after the platform/fuel tank has been tipped up at the rear and supported by tall support jacks, you can sit on a 5 gallon pail and disassemble the torque tube gears right there. One split. Not two splits.
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:55pm
Then that's exactly what I will do. Thank you very much. Can't say enough about how much I appreciate your help. John
Lynn Marshall View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynn Marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 8:02pm
Yes, as the Dr. says. No need for a double split. The gears and  shafts can all be removed from the rear. I have even replaced a couple of clutch shafts from the rear.
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jan 2022 at 9:10am
I appreciate the input from ya, and I'm gonna start working on it this morning. It's -17 out right now so inside seems like a good place to be. Thanks again
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 11:11am
Well got the 190 split at the torque tube/ transmission this morning. Kind of a hard one man job, hopefully the rest of job goes a little easier.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 12:03pm
1 3/8" I.D. pipe 4 feet long stuck on the PTO shaft makes it nice to steer and balance when rolling it part and together, but it takes2 or 3 people.
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 3:34pm
I appreciate it. Looking at how to get the locknut off power director clutch shaft right now. I believe that's what it's called. So I can drop those bad gears down. Thanks, John
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:07pm
Six pieces of 1/8x1x4 steel welded to a piece of pipe the shape of the nut makes a good socket.                    MACK
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2022 at 8:12pm
Well there I go. Now I'll build a socket. First thing for the morning on the agenda. Thanks for the idea ,John
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2022 at 4:56pm
Well got the big nut off in the torque tube today. Used a homemade socket. Decided to order the 190xt parts book/ manual today. Should make it easier to know what parts I'm talking about when I figure out what I need. Ordered it from Peaceful Creek. The repair manual I got from them is nice so hopefully this one will help IDing parts.
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 9:56am
Well ain't that a bigger. Got most of the torque tube taken apart except for 1 shaft. The one on the right looking forward into the torque tube. Threaded a 3/8 fine thread bolt into the shaft and been banging on it with 5 lb slide hammer and it has only moved maybe a quarter inch. Guess maybe try heating the casting around the rear bearing race and try some more? Running out of ideas. John
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 12:28pm
Bingo, bango I finally figured out there was another snap ring behind a bearing out of sight. Everything came apart great after that. Thank you to DrAllis for getting me through that. I'm actually enjoying this now that I can stop scratching my head. Good weekend to everyone, love this sight and the people on it. John
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 1:24pm
I suspect the Allis service manual would tell you about the snap ring. I replaced the trans  counter shaft in a 220 and all bearings in an 8070 PD trans using the factory service manuals. Both were methodical and accurate.
John m View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John m Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 4:59pm
Your correct, it does. In-between crawling under the tractor, crawling back out, referring back to the manual and grabbing tools numerous times I must have bumped the pages and was looking at the other shaft directions. Won't do that again. John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic