This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Coolant???

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Allis dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 7:47am
John Deere Cool Guard II says it prevents corrosion, cavitation, rusting, and scaling

When I walk in it's there in the stack of oils and fluids and it's what they grab when we ask for anti freeze or what the mechanics bring to the fields. Comes in 2.5 gallon premixed jugs and goes in everything from the 3020 to mid 2000's year because that's the newest we have. I don't think it's the same as NAPA green stuff that says for automobile and light trucks.

I'd guess it's similar to the Case IH antifreeze. I've notices Case IH hyd oil has a reddish tint to it which makes me wonder if they like to add red dye or something, while JD hyd oil and antifreeze looks more "normal"

Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 9:55am
the JD web site says it is a COMPLETE system and does not need addatives or filter..Says it is a 6 year USE mix.

Im sure JD does not make antifreeze... They have a contract with others.. Just tell them to leave out the RED DYE in the JD batch.

Edited by steve(ill) - 06 Jan 2022 at 9:56am
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 10:13am
Deere has just made it more confusing by not having the same color of coolant. Oh well.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 11:33am
JD greene to match the undies
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 3:30pm
EXACTLY !!  LOL
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:03pm
Please correct me if I’m wrong to make sure I’m understanding this.

All the Allis diesels I’ve been around (433, 649, 670) have had green antifreeze and coolant conditioner filters. Book says change antifreeze every 2 years, coolant conditioner filter every 600 hrs.
My understanding was back then the green antifreeze was all they had.

So if a person drained the antifreeze and switched to a more modern red heavy duty diesel antifreeze with the conditioner already mixed in it, one would not need the filter?

But if one continues to use the green antifreeze then one should change the coolant and filter at the book suggested intervals?

Thanks
Smallfarm View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Smallfarm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2022 at 5:13pm
Creston, I'm with you on that analysis. Green=more maintenance and Red = Less. Like I said in my post if you don't need the filter with conditioner get a suitable substitute without chemicals. Nothing wrong with clean products and keeping them clean.
Brian Jasper co. Ia View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian Jasper co. Ia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 8:12pm
In my days as a Ford tech, we got most of Ziegler Caterpillar’s 6.0 powered trucks. They started using their ELC coolant and I noticed they had almost no oil cooler and EGR cooler problems afterwards.
"Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian." Henry Ford
Greg(WI) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 10:06am
Am looking at draining and replacing the coolant in my 175 .  Going to go with the heavy duty pink antifreeze.  Assuming that this would not matter with having an external circulating block heater but just wanted to get your opinions.  Do you usually just drain at the radiator?  Need to look in the book to see how many gallons I will need.

SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 1:30pm
You best drain every where possible and refill with water and drain again. You won't like the results of pink and green together. In other words,it needs totally flushed.
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 6:01pm
Steve is right. Drain and refill with water. May be a good time to add some cleaner too. There are all sorts out there. Add some and fill with water. run and drain. Then go with whatever colour you choose. 
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 6:07pm
This has been a very informative thread. I have tried to stay informed on coolant but like a lot of things as you learn it gets even more confusing. These new coolants claim to be more environment friendly but when you read the label they are all still ethylene glycol based so kind of confused on that. 
Ed (Ont) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ed (Ont) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 6:17pm
Another question or maybe opinion. Does the red tend to leak more than green. Seems coolant leaks are more common now than before. Or is it just that the systems now are more complex and so many more places to leak. We are always chasing coolant leaks on diesel engines now. 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jan 2022 at 6:37am
Red seems to leak easier, yes.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic