This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Seed catalogues

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Seed catalogues
    Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 5:31pm
Got the first 2_today. Will probably look at them tonight. Gardening was the old gals thing, not mine. But I got 3 raised beds out back plus a greenhouse. Might as well use them. And now that I don't have these filthy darn goats I can plant some good old R H Schumway sweet corn out behind the barn.   
Sponsored Links

plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2021 at 6:09pm
You just might enjoy gardening. Specially now you can plant what YOU want
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 12:39pm
Good luck Tom and have fun.  Gardening is a wonderful pastime and truly brings you closer to God.  I can't do it, but my Mother was an avid gardener.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
victoryallis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote victoryallis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 6:01pm
Rupp and others have RR sweet corn couple applications of R up and it’s weed free all year. 
8030 and 8050MFWD, 7580, 3 6080's, 160, 7060, 175, heirloom D17, Deere 8760
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2021 at 11:59pm
i love gardening, just my back won't take much of it. use some of that goat poop, maybe you'll want to get a few more goats just for then fertilizer!
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2021 at 5:49pm
it cost very little to do a 1/4 acre garden but it makes a big differance in the food bill and i like to give fresh vegtables to any one that wants some   but i like to try new things that are in the seed catalogs once in awhile , save most of my own seeds but somtimes you just need someone elses seed .   i really dont mind pulling weeds for twenty minutes each night after the sun goes down, thats really all it takes to keep the weeds out
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 2:11am
Yep, I love to get out there in the dirt.  Bought a kinda rusty rear tine tiller late this fall so i can go with the big dogs.

You know there must a been a time when I could bend over and get her done.  Been getting down on hands and knees for a few years. Kinda challenging to get vertical at the end of the row.  Wink

When it comes to sweet corn I get the bill fold out.  With dealing with the coyoties deer and coons, that battle is not worth it.
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Dec 2021 at 5:10pm
Like the fresh vegetables too and to know that there isn't much in the way of chemicals in them. I like to mulch with straw. Keeps the weeds down, dirt from splashing on things and it adds organic matter to the soil. Biggest problem is the wheat that eventually comes up from the straw that comes out of the green combine. Can't wait till spring gets here.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 6:47pm
I’m the only one that eats tomatoes so I don’t plant many anymore but I order Big Zac seeds from Shumway’s Totally Tomatoes catalog, grew a 3 pound tomato one year. Melon patch did poorly last year lots of rain early then it quit, I watered but when it did rain the cantaloupe split open. Can be frustrating some years and seed prices keep getting crazier.
Maximum use of available resources!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 7:32pm
You don't need the latest's greatest new seeds. If you have something that worked before. Case in point a 75 year old guy gave my son a plastic baggy of water melon seeds. Been using the same seed at least 40 years could be from family before and a 100 years.

Everybody that likes water melon says there good. I don't eat it. Story is as a 2 or 3 year old I got into a melon that was cut open  left sitting. I got real sick, they tell me, I don't remember any of it. My tastes have changed and I eat a lot of vegetables I would steer clear of as a kid. But melon is still way down on the things I like. Other melons are better than water melon, but still not much to my liking.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 8:22pm
Still waiting for my Big  Zac seeds to show up, I start them the latter part of January.  They should be here soon, then let the fun begin.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2022 at 2:13pm
I used to look forward to my garden every year, but then school and a job far away came, as well as landlords who don't like the yard plowed up. 
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 12:02am
I must have 8 or 9 of them now. Waiting on my RH Schumway catalogue to order my sweet corn. Hope I don't have to go online I like sitting here looking thru the catalogues.
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 12:59am
I usually get Shumway's catalog by now. I sent them an email. They said they are late being sent out. Should see them in our mailbox soon.
Mike
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 5:52am
Im on the list for Gurney's. I hope they send some out soon. I want to do some blueberries this year. 
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2022 at 8:49pm
Don
We already got our Gurney's catalog a couple weeks ago. I wonder why you have not gotten one yet?
Mike
DonDittmar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DonDittmar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2022 at 6:48am
Originally posted by allischalmerguy allischalmerguy wrote:

Don
We already got our Gurney's catalog a couple weeks ago. I wonder why you have not gotten one yet?
Mike

Not sure?? Ill give it a week and if I dont get one ill give them a call. Probably havent gotten one yet because no one in there right mind is going to do any type of planting in Northern MI this time of year. It will bee at least 2 months before we see grass again lol
Experience is a fancy name for past mistakes. "Great moments are born from great opportunity"

1968 D15D,1962 D19D
Also 1965 Cub Loboy and 1958 JD 720 Diesel Pony Start
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 6:04pm
Got my tomato seeds from Shumway's Totally Tomatoes, will plant them in the office this weekend.  Ordered some small wind block tree's from Jung, haven't seen a ship date for them yet.  Wife said it took so long to get the tomato seeds because probably nobody there had seen a check before and didn't know what to do with it.
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jan 2022 at 7:37pm
I love garden fresh tomatoes. Hope to find a sunny place this spring, yard has lost of trees, and 6ft fence. Gonna try big pots. Roma, Big Boy, and Wisconsin 55, if I can find heritage seeds.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2022 at 3:09pm
We have gotten a few and they have great pictures in them!! too bad the veggies dont look like that when you harvest them! LOL!! We still need a few seeds for this year,--have mostly saved seed since it does good for us.
Wife has the 30 bunch case of onion plants and 500 sweet potato plants on order and paid for. ---Im struggling with health problems again, neck surgery on the books, and lower spine, and left hip to be looked at.
Hope by garden time I will be ready to go!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Lars(wi) Lars(wi) wrote:

I love garden fresh tomatoes. Hope to find a sunny place this spring, yard has lost of trees, and 6ft fence. Gonna try big pots. Roma, Big Boy, and Wisconsin 55, if I can find heritage seeds.

I think Jung has all three of those in their catalog if you want to raise them from seeds.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2022 at 9:22am
  I filled out a form for a Gurney catolog and waiting for it
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 1:33am
Ordered a bunch yesterday (now)......WHAT am I still doing up?!?!?!
I've been thinking about growing pumpkins....anybody have any experience?  All I have is sand.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 4:58pm
My tomatoes are up, I think every seed germinated, didn't get to check on them until now so they got a little taller than I wanted in the table top greenhouse.  Got them in the sun now, spin and exercise them every day, maybe they'll hold up.
Ted; around here I start the pumpkins at wheat harvest and they did well in the sandy soil I normally plant melons in.  Might have to water them.  I throw some Jack-be-little seeds in the fencerows, let them climb and grow there, kids love em.  I do have problems with the squash bugs, have to spray them continuously with Sevin or Malathion or they will poke a small hole through the skin then they rot on the vine.

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2022 at 8:43pm
i got squash bugs real bad last year  i usually dont have troble with bugs 
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic