This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA X 2!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 8:53am
Had time Sunday to mount a pair of rear wheel weights on the CA. REEDE and son happened to be driving by at the time and stopped to chat. Gave them the nickle tour.

I don't know what those weights weigh but they are heavy! They don't have good hand holds like others do. Reed thinks I'm going to need some weight on the front to keep it on the ground with the S-C disc. Have a pair of doughnut weights that are currently loose...

Anyway, couple of pics with the weights.

Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2021 at 1:39pm
So, I put the weights on the front wheels today. Best part of today is; The builders showed up! There may be hope of getting some of this stuff inside yet this year.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2021 at 7:53am
How wide is that disc Mike?  I've got a 10'er on my WD45 and it wants to try and fly every once in a while.
Good thing they are starting the new shed now, instead of a couple weeks ago when we had the 'high' winds!!  Good thing it hasn't been normal temps.... I'd hate to try and dig holes for the posts now.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 12:37am
How far did they get along with the building?
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 7:41am
Merry Christmas everybody!

Ted, I think the disc is 6'. It will be great in the garden.

John, the roof is on. I would think it may be done this week. Will try to get a picture later today. Done as far as the builders are concerned. It's not going to be quite as elaborate as Sugarmaker's! Some day I hope to build a nice new 'shop'!
JoeO(CMO) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JoeO(CMO) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 10:26am
You've got #2 looking ready to turn some roots up!
The pic's of the 2 next to each other appear to be "social distancing".
The building appears to be going up and good size, what size will it be?

Edited by JoeO(CMO) - 25 Dec 2021 at 10:28am
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 6:24pm
Mike,
 Wow, your building is going up in a hurry. Still puttering on inside wall details here.
 Love the look of the CA with the weights on all four wheels.
Keep the pictures coming!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2021 at 7:21pm
Joe, Chris, good to hear from you guys!

The building is 52'X64'. Short answer is; Not big enough! Way better than looking at everything sitting outside though.

I was wrong about the disc, it's 7&1/2'. Looking forward to using it!

Took a couple pics today.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 8:54am
Probably should start a shed topic in that area.

Anyway, The builders got back to it Monday. Got the tin on the North side, they were working on the West side doors when I came back to town. I asked them if the combine would be in their way, said no. So it's under a roof for the first time in about 16 months.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2021 at 2:39pm
Mike, you are exactly correct......Not BIG ENOUGH... but I sure like the looks of it so far.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2021 at 9:26pm
Now I know why you got the red roof!...
Looking good, nearly ready for winter.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 9:36am
The weather here is starting to get better! Windy as all get-out but warm enough to work in the shop so it was time to fix that annoying exhaust leak! Last June at the Amana show I talked to a gentleman who had a new Vinson manifold on the table at a reasonable price. Made a mental note and took his card. Glad I did! Gave him a call and he shipped it right out. Three coats of high-temp grill paint, ready to go. All the nuts came off the studs so this job wasn't bad at all. Took three pics of the process; not sure if the damage on the No. 4 exhaust port will be evident or not, gasket was gone about half-way around. New Nelson muffler is in the plan at some point. For now she sounds much better and just purrs like a kitten! The 'spare' hand clutch is ready to go in when the weather cooperates again.

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2022 at 5:35pm
Dad always said, the CA was the perfect match for the Roto-baler. As the day wore on, you tell by the sound of the engine that the hay was getting tougher and tougher, you knew when it was time make adjustments.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 12:50am
How'd you manage that with no broken studs?? Must be your lucky day.

That new manifold looks way better. How long do you think the paint will last?
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2022 at 7:21am
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

How'd you manage that with no broken studs?? Must be your lucky day.

That new manifold looks way better. How long do you think the paint will last?

Wjohn, not sure how I got by with no broken studs! The paint holds up fairly well really. I painted the manifold on CA-1 when I changed it. So far it still looks pretty good. The exhaust will burn off when you work them hard I would think. CA-2 is going to do some plowing, that may get her warm enough to burn the paint, time will tell.

I should mention, I've had five of these engines in different tractors. Four of the manifolds were junk! Not sure if the fifth one was good or not, it was on a C that was stuck. Sold it to make shed space.

I have the hand clutch from the parts tractor ready to go in, just need a warm weekend.

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 11:14am
Mike, you need to get some bass nuts for the studs it'll make it a lot easier if you ever have to take them off again, don't ask how I know.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 1:29pm
Originally posted by Kenny L. Kenny L. wrote:

Mike, you need to get some bass nuts for the studs it'll make it a lot easier if you ever have to take them off again, don't ask how I know.

Kenny, the ones on the ends are bronze. Ones in the middle are not. That's the way it was when I took her apart. I will change them out if I can find some bronze ones. I anti-seized them, kind of hope I never have to remove that manifold.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2022 at 8:04pm
Mike I got my from NAPA but it been maybe 6 yrs or more.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2022 at 9:09am
Thanks Kenny, bet they still have them.
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2022 at 1:14pm
Nice find!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 8:48am
Beautiful weather here Sunday so I took advantage of that. Pulled the valve cover to check the lash. It was fine, never moved one. That may be a first. Anyway, now I'm not worrying about it.

That done now it's time to dig into the non-working hand-clutch. I got it apart and so far can't see why it won't disengage. Will have to dig into it on the bench. Found a bad bearing in the final, will have to stop and see  ReedE on the way to work and get parts coming this way.

Took advantage of the nice day to dig my 62 plow out. This is the one I want to use with this tractor though I do have a really nice 52. Decisions, decisions.

The current state of things.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2022 at 1:17pm
So I had about an hour to fool with this again today. Got the final tore down a little. Got brake band out, that would explain why the braking was so poor on the right side! Upshot is, just need to replace the lining. The pan on the final has had some serious repair work done at some time, it will get replaced.

Tore the hand-clutch down, pretty sure the reason it didn't release was just rust. Had I tried it under a good load it probably would have broke free and worked fine. Had that happened I wouldn't have found the bad bearing in the final and the brake would have still needed fixed.

Picture of the grease and dirt on the brake band.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 6:32am
Slowly making progress on this thing. Got the seal on the inner axle shaft hanged yesterday. Also got the old bearing off the lower axle shaft. Ordered new front tires at the local shop last Friday. Dug out a pair of good rims with crappy tires, got them dismounted. Just need to clean them up and paint.

Reede got me the rest of the parts, so now it's just a matter of time.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 1:01pm
Time for another little update, finally! This one has had tied in knots a little bit. Outer bearing is press-fit. Took awhile and some digging to figure out how to get the seal in the final drive! Since I do not have a service manual for the model CA, I looked to the WD 45 manual. It says to use a 'horseshoe' to install the seal. So I fashioned one out of some aluminum. Made a bearing driver from a chunk of 2" black iron pipe. There was .0009" press with both parts warm. Freezing the axle got it down to .0002", pressed right on in my little arbor press.

Also in the picture is the re-lined brake band, horseshoe tool and bearing pusher.

Other picture shoes the final drive pan I chose to replace, looks worse on the inside!

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 7:27am
Well, this little project took a turn for the worse yesterday! While cleaning the inside of the final drive housing I spotted a roller. That doesn't look good! The two bearings in the axle were both intact, must be from the top shaft. Pulled the cap, all kinds of ugly! As bad as the outer bearing looks, it is the good one of the two.

Since I need this thing operational soon, decided to use the final off the parts tractor. I had toyed with this idea when I took this thing apart but decided to fix to keep the paint together. As I'm not sure what it's going to take to change the bearings on that top shaft, the paint will just have to be mismatched for awhile. I will get the parts and fix the original final in time, then reinstall.

Picture of the bearings, you can see, it's been bad for some time;

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 11:59am
That made your day I bet, but there is a good side to it you find it before it done more damage, and what fun you're having  working on 60 + old equipment.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 8:42am
Kenny, you're right, I really do enjoy working on these old girls. This last setback isn't going to be all that fun but I'll get through it. As of yesterday she is back on all four feet. Nice to have spare parts.

On the downside, the brake isn't doing much and the hand-clutch still doesn't release??? Neither of these things will keep me from using it but still frustrating. Will look into this further when the original final goes back on.

My uncle who helped put this back together isn't real excited about doing it again in the future but I'll bet he's here helping.

At any rate, should be able to disc the garden and take her to a plow day this spring.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 8:39pm
Good catch there. Wonder how long the tractor has been running around like that, and how much longer it still could.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2022 at 8:14am
wjohn, judging by the layer of crud on those rollers, it had been bad for quite awhile! All it would have taken is for one to get lodged in the gear teeth. Would have been cutting cookies in a hurry! That could be down right scary at highway speed.

Parts are on order and a new service manual showed up yesterday. I read up a bit after work. Probably be after planting before I make much progress on changing the final again.

Got the new headlights mounted but not wired up. May work on that today. Rained here overnight so that limits what I can do at the farm. I don't like driving around in the slop. That's nothing 50 or 60 tons of gravel wouldn't cure. Ok, maybe 100 tons.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2022 at 2:30pm
Lately, been working on attachments for the new girl. The 7' disc is ready to go in the garden. One of these days I'll work on freeing up the beaming screw on it. Hopefully it is set close now. The model 52 plow is in great shape but the lift arm links were rusted tight. The torch was kind of rough on the paint but it's fully adjustable now. Also changed the roll-pins in the links and hooked up the sway chains. Just need to shine up and add dirt!

The disc had one gang that didn't want to turn, not good. Took it apart and got the bearings moving. The outside one may need replaced someday but it's not like I'm doing 100 acres a year with it. Kind of reset the scrapers on that gang too.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic