This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

CA X 2!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: CA X 2!
    Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 1:10pm
I've been wanting another CA for quite awhile now. Have a really nice snap-coupler, CA, disc that will be perfect for the garden. CA no.1 has worn a belly-mower the whole time it's been here and removing/installing never looked like something I want to do.

Joe O. posted one for sale and I happened to see it soon after the posting and called. Got pics and video and decided to go get it. Came with a 2 bottom plow. Not that I need another plow, (up to 13 now)!

At any rate, Saturday the uncle and I drove the 600 mile round trip and brought her home. Master cylinder shot craps in my Dodge, was an interesting trip! Almost ran out of fuel on the way back, distance to empty read "0" when I pulled up to the pump. Uncle says, "You better shut this S.O.B. off!"

Met board member JoeO. Had a great time hanging out the little while we had.

I left home about 06:20 and didn't get back to the farm until about 07:30 that night, long day.

Here's a couple of pics of the 'New' CA and one of the pair. I now have two CA's, two WD's, and two 45's. Guess I'm going to need another 720, 185, and 6080!

Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 2:17pm
Nice... the Noah syndrome... !!!
BTW GMC truck rims will fit on the rears.....DA HOW I know...
Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Dirt Farmer View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dirt Farmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 2:59pm
Aw, come on Jay, you cant leave us hanging like that, was you building "Carolina squatter" or working on a hill side version, we just gotta know and if you done something that unique there's probably pictures out there too.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 6:46pm
That’s a nice one, has the traction booster guage.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Michael V (NM) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Michael V (NM) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 7:50pm
looks great!
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2021 at 8:25pm
Mike a great looking CA and Joe is quite the character also he and I have done same back and forth a time or two. Was Rod there it seem like if you find one of them the other isn't to far away.

Edited by Kenny L. - 06 Dec 2021 at 8:26pm
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 6:39am
I have 2 a wide front and a narrow front, use them to raise sweet corn and a garden, have a snap couple plow and snap couple disc, would like to find a two row snap couple planter, right now I use a 3ph one row to plant corn. 
Leon B MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Leon B MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:14am
When I saw Joe's original post with the ca for sale I thought to myself, it probably won't last very long at that price. I even gave thought to calling him, but I don't need another one. I also have two ca's, one with a belly mower and a wide front with a 7 ft pull type brush hog. Always good to see a good tractor find a good home.
Leon B Mo
Uncle always said "Fill the back of the shovel and the front will take care of itself".
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 9:09am
Thanks guys. I figured I would find a NF pin hitch most likely, then move the mower to that tractor. Put the snap-coupler stuff on CA-1 and that would be that. Finding this one makes things easier. Being a wide front is a bonus. I really like the tires on this thing, rears are full of fluid. Not in love with that but going to stay with it for now. Have a pair of rear wheel-weights painted and ready to go on. Not sure their needed with the fluid, would look good though.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 1:21pm
Originally posted by Kenny L. Kenny L. wrote:

Mike a great looking CA and Joe is quite the character also he and I have done same back and forth a time or two. Was Rod there it seem like if you find one of them the other isn't to far away.

Kenny, I believe the tractor actually belonged to Rod, He was out of town so Joe came over to do the sale.

This one is going to need a few things. Less than most of these girls I drag home! The clutch pedal has almost no free play, that will have to be addressed. Have read Dr. Allis posts about adjusting the fingers on the p-plate, now will have to do it.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2021 at 8:47pm
That's a nice pair there. I agree taking the mower on and off doesn't look like much fun!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 9:04am
Thanks wjohn.

The wrinkle in this story is that I have a (shoestring) cousin that has a CA he would like to sell. It's a lot closer than this one was. The uncle that went on this run with me and him have been trying to get me to buy his tractor for a couple of years now. It's actually very nice. But, it's a pin-hitch, also a narrow front. The NF wouldn't be a deal breaker though. As I recall, the rear tires didn't 'do-it' for me. Has a fantastic paint job on it, though I'm not in love with Persian 1. Biggest sticking point was the price, don't remember the number but it was in a different zip-code. I wasn't looking for a show-queen, just another working girl.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 12:11pm
And the disease gets worse!!
NICE find Mike!  I've got 3 of them (so far) and love em!  Bad part is only one of them is a Snap Coupler machine and all three are narrow fronts.  I LOVE the narrow front on my mower one though.  Makes lawn cutting a whole lot easier.
What size tires are on your mower one?  And where did you get the rims?
I see that both of them have been swapped over to 12v.  I didn't want to, but my wiring burned up on the mower one and it's just as well.  It's not a show queen, it's my worker.
See ya soon?  I haven't got any plans right now.....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 2:27pm
Ted, the first one has 11.2x24's on it, still six volt system. The 'new' one has 12.4x24's and has been converted to 12 system. It has a few issues, not currently charging the battery. I'll have to check out the lights for you tomorrow, Mike.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 6:09pm
Mike,
 Congratulations on the new addition to the family! A CA is on the list but down there a ways.
Your team looks good!
Looking forward to your updates and work with them.
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Bill Long View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Long Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Dec 2021 at 7:29pm
Mike,  Nice looking CA.  I see it has the Traction  Booster Gauge on it which makes is a later model 55 - 57.  Nice clean tractor
The CA was, to me, the best plowing tractor I sold.  Will do a GREAT JOB with the two bottom plow.  
Look forward to hearing updates.
Good Luck!
Bill Long 
Dave(inMA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 5:50am
Mike - how's the hand clutch in the "new" CA? Nice looking machine!!
WC, CA, D14, WD45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 8:52am
Chris, Bill, thanks. Serial No. is 36,xxx, makes it a 55. Don't remember the no. on CA-1 but it is a 54. It also has the gauge, witch worked, so I put in on my NF 45. Ted J. pmed me some info yesterday about re-builders. I may just send a couple of my spares in.

Dave, good to hear from you! The hand-clutch is an issue. I knew this before going to look at this thing. I have a spare that I will go through and then swap out. Like any old tractor it needs a few things. Compared to my 756 this will be a walk in the park!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 9:45am
A spare hand clutch is a fine idea! I rebuilt the one in my CA with lots of help from DennisA(IL). Fun project. But after that I ran across one available from a parts tractor - it seems to be in good shape and is all boxed up on the shelf, just in case. 
WC, CA, D14, WD45
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2021 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by Dave(inMA) Dave(inMA) wrote:

A spare hand clutch is a fine idea! I rebuilt the one in my CA with lots of help from DennisA(IL). Fun project. But after that I ran across one available from a parts tractor - it seems to be in good shape and is all boxed up on the shelf, just in case. 

Mine came from the CA I parted out last year, need to get it found! Guess there's not that big of a hurry, won't get changed until next spring anyway.

I did find three spare traction-booster gauges at the farm today, couple of them look like they might actually work.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave(inMA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 12:39pm
Working TB gauges are a fine thing! Hope they do.
WC, CA, D14, WD45
Unit3 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Unit3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 3:13pm
Great looking pair. Twice the fun.
2-8070FWA PS/8050PS/7080/7045PS/200/D15-II/2-WD45/WD/3-WC/UC/C
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Dec 2021 at 9:38pm
Looks like you have a nice set of twins!
I've also got two CA's, a wide front I bought when I was 17, 56 years ago.  It was my main haying tractor, mowing, raking and baling with a MF #10 baler.  The other CA followed me home a few years ago, it's a NF without the hand clutch.  Had the first CA painted 15 years ago and it's pretty faded, hasn't run in a few years, need to do a bit of work to it.  Good little tractors!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2021 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Ted, the first one has 11.2x24's on it, still six volt system. The 'new' one has 12.4x24's and has been converted to 12 system. It has a few issues, not currently charging the battery. I'll have to check out the lights for you tomorrow, Mike.
Mike, my fault, I meant the front tires and rims.  What about the lights?  It's hard to see, but they look like they are rubber ones? 
I didn't see that it wasn't an alternator on your old one.  All I saw was a silvery spot and I thought it was the alternator, turns out when I exploded the pic that it's a shiny new VR.  LOL
"Allis-Express"
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 9:31am
Originally posted by Ted J Ted J wrote:

Mike, my fault, I meant the front tires and rims.  What about the lights?  It's hard to see, but they look like they are rubber ones? 
I didn't see that it wasn't an alternator on your old one.  All I saw was a silvery spot and I thought it was the alternator, turns out when I exploded the pic that it's a shiny new VR.  LOL

Ted, they are standard size. 5.00x15's I believe. I'll double check today. The lights are some sort of rubber housing 12 volt. The one is broken. I picked up a new one, thought it was the same, it's not. May get another one like it so they match.

Found the spare hand-clutch, will check it out this winter. Hopefully get it changed out next spring.

Worked on this girl a little Saturday. Changed the engine and hydraulic oil. Worked on the sediment bowl, probably going to need a new one. Found a traction booster gauge that works! Changed the temp gauge. I think the old one works, new one looks better.

Need a new plug for the alternator, this one is different than any other delco I've seen. Looked at Napa yesterday, they didn't have one. See attached pic, could use some ideas where to get one.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2021 at 8:56pm
Sunday update; Spent another afternoon with the 'new' CA. The alternator plug must be working, checked with voltage meter, seems ok.

Adjusted the free-play in the clutch.

New sediment bowl, no seeping anymore.

New cap and rotor, points looked good, left them alone. Probably order a new set of wires from Steve pretty soon.

Checked the toe in, toed out about 1/2" didn't have time to correct but maybe tomorrow.

Installed 'brody' nob on steering wheel.

I guess this is the process of making a tractor your own.

Made a list of parts to get.

Ted, the front tires are 5.00X15's.

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:20am
I think this tractor might be pretty handy with the Oxnard blade so Sunday/Monday I did the mod so it will fit. Also freed up the pins in the links. Read somewhere about them needing to be able to move or they will wear out the latches. I only hope I get to use these girls enough to wear out a latch or two!

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2021 at 9:56pm

Also freed up the pins in the links. Read somewhere about them needing to be able to move or they will wear out the latches. I only hope I get to use these girls enough to wear out a latch or two!
I've never heard that. Wink That might be a new topic and see what is known about it.  Need some of the older experts to chime in on that one. Confused
"Allis-Express"
REEDE View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote REEDE Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Dec 2021 at 4:15pm
That is a nice looking CA.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2021 at 6:51am
REEDE, I'll be in to see you this week, need to get a few parts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic