This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Windows 11

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Windows 11
    Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:36am
I am getting rumblings that microsoft is gonna switch my windows 10 to 11 in the middle of the night.

Any thoughts on 11 and how can I block the 11 update?
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:42am
As with the predecessors, if want continuing operations, leave them have their game day.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 11:07am
found out that my unit is to far gone to update - after all it's 4 years old . 
So there is a test you can download to see if your machine in compatible and will accept the update . Oh and the Update now is Microsoft browser only along with cloud storage and remember the MS Office that you bought - now you rent it . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 11:14am
If you're using mostly web-based stuff, tThe best solution is to unplug the old hard drive, buy and plop in a new hard drive, and install a Linux distro. 

As Coke said, you no longer have no 'right' to your machine- you ceeded that right to Microsoft when they forced you to WIN10.

Also realize, that when they force you to cloud storage, NOTHING you have, is private.

There IS NO 'CLOUD'.... it is simply someone else's computer.  If you want good, solid, protected storage, grab and old computer, fill it with big hard drives, and load FreeNAS on a bootable USB 'thumb drive', and start it up.  If you've never set up server shares, it'll take a little learning-curve, but once it's set up, it will be yours, secure, and on your premises.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 2:27pm
to keep 10, DISABLE 'auto update'...
yes ,it's that simple....
the 'default' is to autoupdate, though options include NO updates as well as a 'download  but let me choose' options.

Microsoft does NOT force anyone to use their operating system, you can put whatever you want and it's actually NOT needed if you're a clever code cutter.... I have several 'aps' ( programs ) that I cut and not one of them reqwuires Windows to operate.

Dave's 100% right, everything in the 'clouds' is available to anyone who wants it.

sheeple just blindly believe whatever 'they' say.......

Only reason I have 10 on my hybrid, was to wasily run  tax filling /filing program. 10 gets used ONCE per year....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
TramwayGuy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TramwayGuy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 6:19pm
I don’t think you can PERMANENTLY disable update. Only for a period of time.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:44pm
I run WIn 7 on my computer.. Couple years ago it would ask every week if i wanted to update to Win 10... I turned it off somehow.. dont remember the details.. I have not had a "request " in 2-3 years......... Happy with WIN 7 and my older version of OFFICE.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:47pm
I run a Mac, glad as always! **** Microsoft!

Edited by IBWD MIke - 27 Nov 2021 at 7:48pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 7:52pm
this is what i did

and i was using Explorer and the stopped supporting the 7 version and wanted to install #10... I had trouble with some sites using 7.... I changed to Google CHROME loaded onto WIN 7, and not a problem for 2 years.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
dee_veloper View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dee_veloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2021 at 8:38pm
Don't confuse my personality with my attitude.
My personality is who I am. My attitude depends on who you are.
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 12:26am
3 days after the wife passed, her business computer crashed. I took it to our local computer expert. He saved everything plus installed 11. We like it so far. Now if I could just figure out her darn phones.
Stan IL&TN View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stan IL&TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2021 at 7:56pm
As Steve did I also turned off auto update. Running Windows 7 on two desktops. It works so no need for no stinking updates.
1957 WD45 dad's first AC

1968 one-seventy

1956 F40 Ferguson
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2021 at 8:41am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

If you're using mostly web-based stuff, tThe best solution is to unplug the old hard drive, buy and plop in a new hard drive, and install a Linux distro...

Ditto.

I run a lightweight Linux called Puppy Linux. Very simple and safe.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 5:44pm
SPAM SPAM SPAM

HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2023 at 11:13pm
my computer guy said not to do windows 11  until they get all the bugs worked out  but i have him do all that kind of stuff to our computers about three or four times a year  or when i get somkind of new software 
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 1:47am
I am still running Windows 7 on five machines; everything still works; no aliens have taken up residence in them; my bank balance still agrees with my figures; nothing has went up in flames.

Many many years ago, I disabled all updates; updates are mostly just a scare tactic to allow Microsoft more invasion into your privacy and usually have ill effect on the operability of the machine that you bought and paid for.

Way back when people were waking up to find crap Windows 10 had been installed in their sleep, I installed a free program = Never 10 = and it must have worked as my machine was immune from in-the-night takeovers.

My nightmare from hell mother has a laptop that originally came with Windows 10, which is plenty bad enough to have to deal with; a few weeks ago, she brought it to me to fix on account of it had reverted itself back to as-new condition, demanding she create a Microsoft account and establish herself as a User; I fought that hateful thing for two days before I could get past that foolishness and get her re-established --- losing everything she had on it prior to this situation --- only to discover that it was now no longer Windows 10, but Windows 11 had moved in --- and, when Windows 11 had installed itself, it had reverted the machine to an as-delivered state, the same as would happen if one re-installed the system and started all over.

I have Linux Mint as dual-boot on a couple machines; and, if one doesn't use any after-market programs, and only ever browses the internet and shops Amazon and E-Bay and uses E-Mail, then the free Linux operating systems (there are countless many to choose from) walk all over Microsoft Windows of any version and do so without you being spied upon at your every move.

However, especially if one is into photo editing and related programs, Windows is the Small Block Chevrolet of the computing world; and, all of the really good programs are Windows Only; and, all of the good photography program "plug-ins" are Windows Only; so, if one is using Linux, one misses out on the really good stuff and must make do with less capable programs --- or very capable programs with a tremendously steep learning curve that only born and bred geniuses will ever be able to conquer.

As for Dual-Boot (or Triple Boot or more), it works and works well with one big drawback = it is extremely aggravating to live with in that one cannot seamlessly move back and forth between Windows and the dual-boot system; each switch from one system to the other requires the entire machine to reboot --- and, as soon as the newly chosen system settles in and ready for action you will think of something you forgot to do while in the other system --- and often something that must have been or should have been done --- and here you are in the wrong system to do so.

I will stay with Windows 7; I have several install discs and also have my system saved in numerous back-ups; I don't need an internet connection for any of my programs to work --- save one = Google Earth Pro (which I strongly recommend).

As for internet browsing, when the day ever comes that I can no longer use the internet with Windows 7, I will keep Windows 7 and get another machine to run Linux Mint for any internet needs.

I will say this = Linux is not for simpletons and wooden-heads and one is better off learning Linux if they never have before ever used anything else; as, mostly, anything you know about using a Windows machine will only ever serve as a stumbling block when you start using Linux; to complicate matters further, Linux insists on using entirely different terminology for everything, so you have to forget English and learn a completely new language.

Most of the Linux programs are way far ahead of anything Windows; but, you have to be way far ahead of most Windows users to achieve that benefit; sadly, I am more in the simpletons and wooden-heads category.     
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 1:59am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Microsoft does NOT force anyone to use their operating system

That is true so long is one is more computer literate than 96.7% of the rest of computer owners.

Those in the 96.7% just have to accept and try to cope with whatever Microsoft does to their machines in the middle of the night --- which is usually never in anyone's best interests.

if you're a clever code cutter.... I have several 'aps' ( programs ) that I cut and not one of them reqwuires Windows to operate.

I admire that --- I wish I knew how to create and manipulate programs.

I have several programs that would suit me a lot better if I could just tweak some of their ways of doing things.

I wish my PS Elements 7 would ignore the ancient IPTC character limitations when saving image files, instead of clipping away the last several characters and me having to reinstall them with another program; I am sure that, if I knew how, a simple tweak would fix this.

I have another program, DxO Photolab; one would think such a thing would be changeable in "Preferences" -- when I choose to Crop a photo, it is always set to Preserve Image Resolution(for soccer moms) --- forcing me to have to navigate the crop menu to choose No Restrictions every time I crop a photo, sometimes hundreds of times a day --- I am sure if I had your abilities, a wee bit of manipulation would make No Restrictions to be the default choice.

Edited by BuckSkin - 11 Apr 2023 at 2:17am
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 8:00am
Originally posted by BuckSkin BuckSkin wrote:

...However, especially if one is into photo editing and related programs, Windows is the Small Block Chevrolet of the computing world; and, all of the really good programs are Windows Only; and, all of the good photography program "plug-ins" are Windows Only; so, if one is using Linux, one misses out on the really good stuff and must make do with less capable programs --- or very capable programs with a tremendously steep learning curve that only born and bred geniuses will ever be able to conquer.

I haven't found this to be the case...  my music and video production station is all NCH's stuff, which I originally used on WIN7.  It runs perfectly (even my MIDI and audio mixer's interface hardware) through WINE, which was a native component of Kubuntu.

I didn't have to learn anything special to install Kubuntu... downloaded the installer image iso, burned it onto a thumb-drive with Rufus, stuffed it in the machine, and followed the instructions.

Once it was running, I used the menu's installer features to open WINE, then installed NCH like it was a Windows box.

Only difference, is that it's FASTER...

And Apache OpenOffice does what MS Office does... but better, with out all the crap, and it's not ransomware.

Anyway, this thread was revived by a spammer, it can go to bed now.
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2023 at 8:11am
Originally posted by DaveKamp DaveKamp wrote:

my music and video production station runs perfectly through WINE.

Only difference, is that it's FASTER...

That is good to hear.

Some years ago, I tried to run some Windows programs through WINE --- most likely didn't know what I was doing --- with very limited success.

I will say this for just about any of the free open-source systems and programs, they have far better customer service that most Pay-for Windows programs; if you find a bug in an open source program, or just want a feature added, let the developers know and within days a new version will be available with whatever fixes you pointed out --- they don't make you wait for the next year-model and they don't make you pay for the next version that has the things that were wrong with the earlier version hopefully addressed.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 7:05am
 Well, I surely cannot claim to have much of the computer knowledge some of the guys here have ,,,,so my attempts to stifle the "cloud" feature was to buy a 5T external hard drive that my son used some special rat's and rabbit fur tails dipped in some female donkey pee for 11 days to prevent any intrusions without a 29 character password ,,,,,so far I'm good,,,,,WinkWink
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2023 at 7:15am
Our personal data PC is running LINUX. Have a HP tower I use for general stuff just no banking or payment structure beyond wife’s Must Have Amazon account.
Is closer to the old dumb terminal DOS systems yet a friend that accesses our HP unit off the web to leave me cute little crap, explained cannot hack LINUX. Will see how long that lasts.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 6:20am
My (part time) work required us to upgrade to Windows 11 last year. I find it very similar to Windows 10, other than the "Power Off" button has moved to the center of the screen and was hard to find at first.
I plan to upgrade my home computer soon.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2023 at 5:19pm
LINUX can be hacked, ALL OSes can.... it's just that as a hacker, MS products account for 80-90% ? of the 'targets', so why bother with small fry like LINUX !
I do enjoy NOT having MS autoupdate my Win10 machine....
The problem with the 'latest and greatest' OS is that hacker WANT to attack it...pretty sure they don't care for my WIN98SE PCs.......

Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 6:58am

LINUX can be hacked, ALL OSes can....

Yup.
I run Puppy Linux from a live CD which is about as hack-proof as you can get because the OS runs totally in RAM and any intrusion evaporates when you power down the PC, therefore the hacker has to physically touch your system to alter it.

And Linux is free. Freedom is good! Smile
BuckSkin View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BuckSkin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 11:37am
As for getting hacked, I have been told and read in numerous accounts, that a Satellite internet connection is way more secure than a land-line connection and maybe even impossible to get past.

It does make sense to me when explained.

I don't know whether it is true or not; but, I do know this = we have been on satellite internet for years, with usually half-a-dozen or more machines constantly connected and never turned off; and, if we have ever been breeched, I am unaware of it.

Most people around here, on the other hand, are on the crook monopoly fibre-optic cable internet and even the neighbor kids, budding little crook creeps, can hack into them. 
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2023 at 6:15pm
Most of the cases of being hacked that I hear of are either unsecured or poorly secured Wi-fi networks. 
Jasmyerine View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jasmyerine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2023 at 4:30am
Windows 11 has been making quite a splash lately, hasn't it? If you're not quite ready to switch from Windows 10 just yet, don't worry, I've got a few tricks up my sleeve to help you out. You can make some changes to your Windows Update settings or even use the "Show or hide updates" troubleshooter. Maybe getting a windows 10 key cheap could solve your problem. Anyway, keep us updated.

Edited by Jasmyerine - 20 Oct 2023 at 4:30am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 5:40pm
Another wrinkle, Wife and sis in law got new Iphone 15s, I still have my 12, hate the POS where did NOT want just a newer version.  Tried to get a BASIC flip Phone again, can but only work on 4g, That is Going away or already Gone in many places.  So asked if had a REALLY Basic flat phone, No.  May end up NO Phone at this rate.
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2023 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Another wrinkle, Wife and sis in law got new Iphone 15s, I still have my 12, hate the POS where did NOT want just a newer version.  Tried to get a BASIC flip Phone again, can but only work on 4g, That is Going away or already Gone in many places.  So asked if had a REALLY Basic flat phone, No.  May end up NO Phone at this rate.

Just over a year ago we got new flip phones from ATT. They are the 5g what ever that is. They will not work with wifi so still on service at the house. But it does work 300 yards away out on the edge of the blacktop. The old ones you had to get line of site to 5 mile away tower.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic