This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Pulling Forum
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tire options for a wd

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
alchpuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alchpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tire options for a wd
    Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:46pm
I have a pair o 12 by 38 rims, 8 bolt centers, rims are new want 250 a pair
Sponsored Links

alchpuller View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alchpuller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2023 at 10:36pm
I have a pair of 12 by 38 in rims 8 bolt centers, rims are new,250 a pair
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 5:16pm
The actual size in the 1950's would never have been listed as 13.6. The decimal size system started in 1957 or 58.  On a WD/WD45 on page 264 it was listed as a 9 x 38 wheel/rim, which would have accepted an 11.2 or 12.4 x 38 inch wheel. So, the fact of the matter is a 38 inch WHEEL was always available as an option whether you've ever seen one or not. Most any organized pulling club has allowed 38 inch wheels on the A-C's for decades with a maximum tire width of 14 x 38 or 15.5 x 38's.

Edited by DrAllis - 05 Mar 2023 at 3:41pm
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 12:19pm
Originally posted by trikesbikes@gmail.co trikesbikes@gmail.co wrote:

Does anyone have or know where I can get the info saying that the WD 45 had an option for the 13.6 38 tire size was a factory option thanks 👍

I doubt you are going to find anything that says 13.6 x 38 were a factory option, since 13.6 x 28 were factory. I have never seen a WD45 with 38" tires, but I would guess the 38's would be 9 x38 or 10 x 38.
trikesbikes@gmail.co View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trikesbikes@gmail.co Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2023 at 9:09am
Does anyone have or know where I can get the info saying that the WD 45 had an option for the 13.6 38 tire size was a factory option thanks 👍
JZ507 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JZ507 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Nov 2021 at 10:09pm
I have a straight stick WD chassis without an engine available in southern MN.
Hand clutch is removed and has quick change gears allowing you to run any RPM or tire combination. Current gear set allows 6MPH in 3rd gear in main transmission with 34" rubber, any other gear sets normally under 75.00. 
Message if interested
Jim 
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2021 at 9:03am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

What this: 18.4X16.1 tires on a CA in 3rd gear. The only thing that can out pull it at 2500 pound is our other tractor with a turbo.
  For many years I pulled a CA with 24" tires and consistently beat the two 66 Olivers and a Farmall C that squeezed into the class after the class weight was increased 100 pounds. Then after they got beat hands down for a couple years they initiated a speed limit that was too slow for the CA in 2nd gear. Now they just have a 2750 class.
   It's all about getting a perfect combination that works for any give tractor. For all the variables there are NO absolutes. 

The reason the Oliver, JD  & Farmall guys don't run 28" tires, those tractors were not designed for them and have lower gear ratio transmissions in their granpa gears.
 The Allis tractors are designed for 28" tires and putting a 38" tire on them is the same as running 2nd gear. Fine if you have the power to do that. Many don't have the power to do that when they first get into pulling and when they do the wrong thins and place at the rear of the class all the time they will quickly loos interest and swear the winners are cheating. 
 Tracked machines are also generally slower than wheeled tractors. 

Speed is every thing, before the speed limit did your competitors reach the same mph as your tractors?  

I can guarantee if the gearing was correct the JD, IH , Oliver would NEVER , I mean NEVER put 28 rubber on.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 12:05pm
A true story: An old friend of mine (and a very distant relative too) had a very good WC antique puller in the 3 MPH class. Year after year he was the points champ in the local club (about 6 events per summer) with 38 inch cut rubber. There were several very unhappy Deere pullers that tried every year at the rules meeting to have his big diameter tires banned because a WC didn't ever come with 38's. They did however come with 36's as an option. So, seeing the handwriting on the wall, he built a second identical WC, only with 28 inch cut Armstrong tires and I think they were 16.9 x 28's. At the end of the summer his 38 inch tractor was still the points champion. Second place in the points was his 28 inch tractor, still ahead of all the other competitors!!!  This somewhat proves two things: He KNEW what he was doing with either tractor better than his opponents. He also proved that in general, the 38's would still most of the time outperform the 28's if they were of pretty equal sq inch foot print.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 11:55am
What this: 18.4X16.1 tires on a CA in 3rd gear. The only thing that can out pull it at 2500 pound is our other tractor with a turbo.
  For many years I pulled a CA with 24" tires and consistently beat the two 66 Olivers and a Farmall C that squeezed into the class after the class weight was increased 100 pounds. Then after they got beat hands down for a couple years they initiated a speed limit that was too slow for the CA in 2nd gear. Now they just have a 2750 class.
   It's all about getting a perfect combination that works for any give tractor. For all the variables there are NO absolutes. 

The reason the Oliver, JD  & Farmall guys don't run 28" tires, those tractors were not designed for them and have lower gear ratio transmissions in their granpa gears.
 The Allis tractors are designed for 28" tires and putting a 38" tire on them is the same as running 2nd gear. Fine if you have the power to do that. Many don't have the power to do that when they first get into pulling and when they do the wrong thins and place at the rear of the class all the time they will quickly loos interest and swear the winners are cheating. 
 Tracked machines are also generally slower than wheeled tractors. 

If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

Pulling is a game of may variables, what works for someone else with lots of HP may not work for you with a stock engine. Tall tires are not always the best if you don't have the power to turn them. You may need to try many different sizes before you find the best match for what you have. Any tire you try you do want to be a s close the the 170 sq/in as possible. How many sq/In is a 16.9X28? That will gain you a little height and width over a 14.X28. As mentioned above the 13.6X38 tire , you'll have to run at part throttle until slippage increases and if you are too late trying to get the engine speed back up it may not come back. 
  Look on the chart and find all the tire that you'd be allowed to run for your lightest class and pick a rim diameter that is midway between the 28" and 38" . Might even try finding a 36" rim, That will allow a little more engine speed at the beginning of your pull and might match your stock engine better. There are times when using a tall tire you want to be narrower that the maximum allowable tire if you don't have the power for that ground speed. 

Be open minded to make changes after you get started. Finding the perfect combination won't happen right at the start. Also be aware that most everyone else that has been pulling for awhile has already worked trough what your are just getting into. Even if you have the same tractor as someone else, there are going to be some differences that need to be allowed for, most of which the other guys won't tell you about.

Taller tires are always better, a longer footprint is better then a wider one.  I have NEVER seen a JD, IH , Oliver put on a shorter tire, that would be a joke to them.

Its the difference between a tracked machine and a wheeled one.
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Nov 2021 at 7:08am
 Pulling is a game of may variables, what works for someone else with lots of HP may not work for you with a stock engine. Tall tires are not always the best if you don't have the power to turn them. You may need to try many different sizes before you find the best match for what you have. Any tire you try you do want to be a s close the the 170 sq/in as possible. How many sq/In is a 16.9X28? That will gain you a little height and width over a 14.X28. As mentioned above the 13.6X38 tire , you'll have to run at part throttle until slippage increases and if you are too late trying to get the engine speed back up it may not come back. 
  Look on the chart and find all the tire that you'd be allowed to run for your lightest class and pick a rim diameter that is midway between the 28" and 38" . Might even try finding a 36" rim, That will allow a little more engine speed at the beginning of your pull and might match your stock engine better. There are times when using a tall tire you want to be narrower that the maximum allowable tire if you don't have the power for that ground speed. 
  Be open minded to make changes after you get started. Finding the perfect combination won't happen right at the start. Also be aware that most everyone else that has been pulling for awhile has already worked trough what your are just getting into. Even if you have the same tractor as someone else, there are going to be some differences that need to be allowed for, most of which the other guys won't tell you about.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 9:34pm
14.9 x 28 is 145 sq inches and meets the 170 sq max inch rule. They will be slower. They will take less HP. They will not finish well. 38 inch outpulls 28 inch.
Mnesler View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnesler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 8:35pm
What about 14.9x28 they are listed as 170 sq in would the taller tire be better still or a little shorter tire to slow it down and help with less power
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 6:41pm
Well, you need to get the latest rules for that Div 2 class. What I see is a maximum of 170 square inches of rear tire up to 4500 pounds. That makes a 13.6 x 38 your best choice (165 sq inch)and it has to be on a 12 inch wide rim as per the rules. No cut tires. Drawbar at 18 inches high (good for you) and 18 inches short.  10% over on the RPM (good for you) and 3 MPH max speed (good for you). Your speed will be probably 3.5 MPH so you'll have to learn how to drive and run half throttle coming down the track and increase the engine speed the farther you get to keep it at 3 MPH and not get DQ'd. I think your engine will be fine if it is tuned properly and the 18 inch drawbar and smaller width tires also work for your lower HP. The NATPA events I've been at usually had 3500-3750-4000-4250-4500 lbs......every 500 lbs for sure but the ones I've attended were every 250 lbs.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 10:14am
Could go Massey eight lug centers and 30's??
Mnesler View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnesler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 9:01am
I was going off the natpa div II rules. I was think about pulling between 35-5500lbs depending on what the lightest weight class is at the pull
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 6:41am
Even if you find 38 inch wheels, they are more likely to be 9 bolt dual wheels, which is lighter weight anyway, and will then have to have 8 bolt centers installed to fit the tractor. Are you competing within a "club" that has tire/wheel rules?? What weight classes are you thinking ??
Mnesler View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnesler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2021 at 12:20am
It is a straight stick. I was thinking 15.5x38's but not having much luck finding 38 inch rims. Was mostly wondering if there was a mother good option that might be easier to come by
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:59pm
You say WD. Which WD ?? because a straight stick WD has a faster low gear than a curved stick WD.  I'd guessing your compression is higher than 170 psi ?? and you are using the combine sized carburetor ??  If so, if the tune up/ignition timing/governor are all dialed in, that engine should be able to pull in the 3750 thru 4500 lb weight classes in a curved stick chassis with 15.5 x 38 rear uncut tires in LOW GEAR. With a straight stick, it would be more difficult, but maybe possible. Soil types, track conditions, drawbar length and height and the sled itself all have an effect on the results.
Mnesler View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mnesler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2021 at 8:45pm
Looking for options an tires to put a a wd for pulling? Tractor will have gleaner motor with wd flat top pistons nothing crazy. What rims would bolt on and work best?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic