This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Detachable Link Belt?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Detachable Link Belt?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 3:46pm
Any thoughts/experience using a detachable link belt in place of a convention V-Belt, like a size B or C on a piece of farm machinery like a combine? I have a machine I’m working on that needs a couple belts that will require major disassembly to replace the belts. Thought maybe detachable link would be great if it worked well in an application like this.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links

Riprock View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 5:19pm
We used the press lock style on boiler coal slingers. They work great very stiff, tough belting, heat was no problem. That style is pricey, A quick search at mcmaster carr looks like $40 a foot. I've not used any of the other types. I'm sure you get what you pay for.
Riprock View Drop Down
Bronze Level Access
Bronze Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Riprock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 5:36pm
Another note, you really don't need the "tool" to put it together. Just use a pair of pliers and turn the pins 90 degrees so they'll unhook. They tool we had was just plastic with a small rectangle hole to fit the pins. 

It's a bit tough to work with to start with but you get the hang of it.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 5:51pm
I use the American made link belts from Harbor freight on power tools. They run very smooth and quiet.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 6:22pm
Our fans in the chicken houses came with link belt and I'm throwing it away as I go. I don't like it because, in my experience, I have to take a link out to often to account for links stretching. This doesn't seem like a big deal I know but we have 100 fans on this farm with link belts. It's damn near a constant battle. On top of that, if you have a link break you can replace it. However, the link on either side of the one that just broke is in the same shape as the one that just broke. Basically, in my opinion, you're putting a worn out belt back together

BTW, ours are A size. Can't really comment on the B and C

Edited by thendrix - 13 Sep 2021 at 6:23pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2021 at 9:39pm
Thanks for the comments guys!
If it works just as well as a regular belt, at $40/foot I would probably pay that…I took the old belts off the machine today and spent about 4 hrs doing it (for 2 belts). I believe I’d pay the $40/ft to keep from doing that again…it will probably take longer than that to lift everything back into place and reassemble…

Tyler…I believe 100 fans would be a lot to keep up! I’ll only have 3 belts that I would put detachable link belt on, though, so maybe it will work for what I need? I was just concerned about them slipping/breaking under load.

Edited by CrestonM - 13 Sep 2021 at 9:39pm
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 5:50am
They run just like a regular belt and will do fine as long as you keep it tight. I just don't like them. I think it's an excellent idea but not necessarily applicable in every scenario
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
HudCo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HudCo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2021 at 10:44pm
just my experiance with them i would never waste my money on detachable belts agian be sides those combine parts probley need to be removed ,cleaned ,inspected and and adjusted any way
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic