This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'40 b engine rebuild

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: '40 b engine rebuild
    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:10pm
The old engine finally ceased (I don't think cratered). I haven't investigated the problem yet, just barely got it up to the shop. I've been looking at engine rebuild kits and different options. I was just wondering if there's a place that I could buy, don't laugh, a crate engine.
'40 AC B - My Pappy always told me "Use your head for something other than a tack hammer!" I did. It makes a great 16 pound sledge hammer.
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:42pm
not that i know of.... if you dont want to rebuild, go to local rebuilder/ mechanic  and let him get the kit and do it all.

might find local tractor "GUY" or Dealer mechanic that wants a weekend side job..

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Jul 2021 at 6:43pm
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 5:00pm
Well, if it had a bowtie or a blue oval on it, there wouldn't be any problem there, but....nah, I don't think so, unless you come across someone that has an engine done on the engine stand that they want to sell. I'm wit Steve. Maybe you can find a feller' to do the job for ya.
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 5:09pm
Okay thanks. That's pretty much what I expected. Guess I'll have to resort to trying the job myself. Wish I woulda payed more attention when I was a kid! The old man probably would've let me do more than hold the flashlight
'40 AC B - My Pappy always told me "Use your head for something other than a tack hammer!" I did. It makes a great 16 pound sledge hammer.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 6:45pm
The "B" motor is about the simplest one to overhaul. I think easier than a lawn mower engine.. If you have basic tools and any ability at all, it can be done.  A book would help.. ask plenty of questions here... Getting the connecting rods on the right way, shimming the bearings, and timing the magneto take a little extra knowledge.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 7:48pm
Central tractor used to sell short blocks, although when Tough$hitCharlie brought them out I believe that cease. There is probably some place that will exchange a short block that you could find on the internet. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ihscout View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ihscout Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 9:15pm
Thanks I'm sure I will be asking plenty of questions on this site to get it right
Luke114 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Luke114 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 11:08am
One more option:  go buy a running tractor for less than having somebody rebuild your motor.  Either swap out the motor, or hell, swap the entire tractor.  Then you could pick away at the old one while learning, sell it, part it out.

Even if you do the work yourself, you can likely find a runner for less than you will spend rebuilding.

If the current tractor has family history, then I totally understand and support spending more to keep it alive.

And if you don't know what is wrong yet, it might be a simple fix instead of a rebuild required.  Did it quit slowly with a whimper, or suddenly with enthusiasm?
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic