This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis B with Mag

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis B with Mag
    Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 5:27pm
I'm fixing up a 1940 Allis B with a magneto and a starter and generator, but no lights. I don't want to use the three position switch in the control box as I can't get one with original looking knob, and no lights. I have a cut out on the generator and a standard 6 volt battery with positive ground. I have a wire from the starter to the ammeter and from the other side of the ammeter to the cut out on the Batt terminal. Then what? A wire from the cut out Gen terminal to the armature terminal on the generator? But what about the field terminal? Should that be wired to a resistor? What amperage resistor? And from the resistor to where? Thanks, I'm pretty confused about how to do this.
Sponsored Links

acd17toy View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote acd17toy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:03pm

If you do not have a owners manual get one, as it should have the wiring diagram in it.
Andrus View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:19pm
I have the owner manual as well as the shop manual and the parts manual. They are not helpful as they all assume you have lights and the three position switch. I'm trying to avoid having the ugly three position switches that are the only ones available.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:36pm
The light switch either goes thru a resistor ( to charge at 2 amps), or straight to GROUND ( to charge at 8 amps)... You could use a toggle switch to ground and just turn on for 10 minutes every time you run it........... or you could use a resistor in line and have a constant 2 amp charge like a trickle charger.... Im not sure what the resistor OHMS is... maybe Steve B&B will chip in here..... (I think it is something low like 5- 10 ohms)

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 6:39pm
Andrus View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 9:33pm
This is great! That's exactly what I needed to know. Thanks very much Steve. You da man.
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 6:24am
I'm probably the only knucklehead on the planet that still makes parts and rebuilds the 3 position switches if you can't find an original. The aftermarket one that all the venders are selling are junk. They also do not fit in a lot of the tight instrument boxes, and usually ground themselves out smokin' the wiring system. Visit our website, go into the switch category and check out our rebuilt switches if interested. We also have the new resistors that Steve posted.... HTH
Steve@B&B
bb-customcircuits.com
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Andrus View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 3:34pm
Hi Steve, I just ordered the stuff I need from your store. I'm glad you replied to my post. Your store looks like a really good resource, not just for Allis Chalmers but for my other tractors too.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 3:41pm
If it has ANYTHING to do with wires/ electrical / mags/ distributors for ANYTHING.. Steve is "THE GUY".
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 4:52pm
Thank you for the order Andrus'! We appreciate that. I'll have to build you a "fresh" 3 position switch. I didn't realize that JoAnna sold the two I had ready to roll. Man, I gotta' keep an eyeball on that lady of mine, she's quick! No problem though. We have the technology.   LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic