This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Trailer questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 7:40am
Had a quick look, and according to Edmunds, that JEEP can tow 5000#, so it'll pull a B on a small tandem trailer no problem,especially with a V8. I KNOW a 73 CJ-5 could tow a carhauler with 67 stang on it. Yeah not exactly quick off the light but did the job.
Have a custom trailer built ,narrower and shorter will shave 100s of pounds of unecessary weight off.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sponsored Links

DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 7:47am
And, a proper 2-wheel trailer COULD work and be safe. The problem (most of the time) is people don't know how to properly load a 2-wheel trailer. Once properly loaded, the tie down chains or the floor or something has to be marked so it gets loaded exactly the same every single time. Six inches of incorrectness on positioning can be a disaster.
Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 10:08am
Hi,   I would not get a single axle trailer and tandem axle will be a smoother ride. Get brakes on both axles so if you would cross state lines you would be all ok with laws. Get a rub rail and stake pockets for chain tie down. And storage box for chains and chain binders with the sealed cover and with a way to lock it up. Get a 7 pin electric plug in
Les Kerf View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Les Kerf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 11:45am
Originally posted by Allis dave Allis dave wrote:

A Jeep is not much of a towing vehicle. I would try to get the lightest trailer that has the weight capacity that you need. I would consider an aluminum trailer. It will be more expensive but you'll be a lot lighter and haul more/better/safer.

I'm with you there; short wheelbase lightweight towing rig with ample horsepower plus heavy trailer is a a good way for bad things to happen.

Definitely use a weight equalizer hitch with stabilizer bars on that thing.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 12:57pm
Good grief guys, he's towing a 2100 pound tractor to the fair.  I've seen plenty of Jeep Grand Cherokees towing campers and loaded with gear surely totaling more than that.

JSHIVERS, use 3 main things to do the job you want to do: Your brain, caution, and a tandem axel trailer with brakes.  Take your time, get used to things, make sure you have the feel of stopping before you get up to much speed, and you'll be fine.

Edited by Tbone95 - 29 Jul 2021 at 12:58pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 1:13pm
YEA... i dont think he is going to buy a $50,000 truck and trailer to pull a $1000. tractor to the show...  See lots of Crossovers and Jeeps pulling campers and pop-ups.. Not a problem........... 2000# trailer and  2000# tractor will do just fine.. He is not going cross country.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Rod in MN View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rod in MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 2:38pm
Hi. You will have to look if you have a 4 pin or a 7 pin or both for trailer lights. The Jeep may have a wire tucked back in to the main wiring going to the rear. And it may be the same way under the hood by the fuse box. You would have to do some checking on the wiring. You may have to put a beak controller in the jeep on the low dash
There my be a wiring harness you can buy it a parts store that will plug in to your truck and the brake controller

First drive around with a empty trailer and get the fell off just the trailer, then load up tractor and drive around with that and step on the brakes see if you can feel the trailer brakes working if not turn up the brake controller and check again
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 6:04pm
When I bought my trailer they said to have the rear of my truck squat a couple of inches when loaded. Also when you set your trailer brakes with your controller do it on gravel so you don't get a flat spot on the tires. I also have a rub rail and bobcat ramps on mine. Like has been said-it's not the towing but the stopping. Buy the most and best trailer you can afford. Sounded like an easy deal when you first asked I am sure. Good luck. 
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 7:06pm
I have an 18 foot with 2 3500 lb axles that I haul a B and golf cart, tow with a 2016 V6 Chevy Colorado Z71, no problems going or stopping.   Common sense and be careful.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 7:18pm
You'll almost always need a 7 pin connector to get brakes and backup lights. JEEP is prewired for brake controller(everything since mid90s is...). Not many trailers have backup lights but the connection is there, so spend $20 and add them.
Also if you get the chance ,upgrade  to BOTH axles having brakes.Maybe only  $100-$200 extra. Trying to stop 5000# tail wagger in the rain,going downhill isn't 'fun'.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JSHIVERS View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSHIVERS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 6:23pm
Thank you to everyone so far.  I'm getting a lot of good ideas on what to look for
and what to watch out for.  I know way more about trailers now than I ever expected
to.  Appreciate all the comments.  Keep them coming.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 8:25pm
Getting the B loaded correctly is also key. Get a 2axle trailer as I and others have said. After its hooked up correctly to your trailer hitch and locked down, Pull the B up on the trailer and watch your vehicle as you pull forward. Somewhere centered over the axles, your Jeep should be squatting some but not too much or it will be too light in the front end, but not too much to the rear of the trailer or it will actually make the rear of the Jeep rise causing an undesirable light rear end and lose of braking and traction. Either condition is dangerous. You will find a happy medium after loading several times and towing with it. Only a few inches either way makes a world of difference. Too low of a rear end squat will cause swaying due to front end not having enough weight to control steering and it can cause you to jack knife the trailer. Too high of rear end can also cause loss of control and hopping especially under braking. I have had to rearrange my tractor on the trailer before once under way and notice I have a problem. Once you have a few pulls under your belt it will become second nature to you how your trailer and vehicle respond. SUV’s, short bed trucks, long bed trucks all tow differently. So, 2 axle trailer, brakes on each axle, brake controller in your Jeep, use common sense, take your time, and arrive safely.
No problem

Edited by AC720Man - 30 Jul 2021 at 8:27pm
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic