This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New (to me) 917h need advice and attachments

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: New (to me) 917h need advice and attachments
    Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 8:53am
PM sent.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Sponsored Links

AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 10:47pm
SLI is 6 hrs NW of me as well, sometimes you have to travel some distance to get what you want. I go by there on my return trip from smallmouth bass fishing at Lake Erie each year. They will hold it for you as long as it’s paid upfront until your able to get by there. Great folks to deal with. Of course shipping is always an option.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
LionelinKY View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LionelinKY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 10:21pm
Really nice machine!!!
"My name is Lionel and I'm an Allisoholic"
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2021 at 8:18pm
we’re just up by Albany 
ACmowerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACmowerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 11:34pm
Nice looking 917. Those Kohler twins have a great sound to them. You can download an operators manual on the Simplicity website. www.simplicitymfg.com

10 various B-series garden tractors, AC Homesteader8, 416 hydro,710 gt, 914, 916H, 917H, 920D, and many misc attachments
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 10:26pm
It will probably be Sat afternoon before I get it done.

Dusty  
Akoudlai View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akoudlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

I have a 917h that I bought at an auction when it was one year old. I have the mower deck, a front blade, and a snow blower for it.
I can try to send you a picture of the lift rod for the blade and snow blower, I think that they are the same.

Dusty

Thanks dusty that would be a huge help! Maybe with a tape measure next to it to really help me understand what I gotta make!

And thanks for the top about sandy lake I’ll get in touch with them although they’re a solid 6/7 hours away from me
Akoudlai View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akoudlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 5:55pm
Thanks Steve and yea that picture is from yesterday. I looked high and low to find some attachments near me and all I found since April was the snow blade without the linkage. If something comes up on your radar let me know!
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 9:01am
I have a 917h that I bought at an auction when it was one year old. I have the mower deck, a front blade, and a snow blower for it.
I can try to send you a picture of the lift rod for the blade and snow blower, I think that they are the same.

Dusty
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 8:45am
I have one just like it and its a great mower. Get a owners manual for it, it has all the grease fitting locations that need to be hit. Some that you may not see right off the bat. I change my hydro oil every 100 hours or so. More often than the book calls for but keeping fresh oil and new filter is just a good precaution IMO. I haven’t had any issues and I’ve owned mine since 1988. Same goes for the engine. I change it at the end of each season. Check with Brenda at Sandy Lake Implement, they may have the attachments your looking for. They have a lot of nice used stuff in the warehouse. Ive bought multiple pieces from them.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2021 at 6:32am
Keep it!! They don't make machines like that bugger anymore! That's in excellent condition if that's a recent pic. Nice machine!  There's accessories out there. Just gotta' keep yer' peepers open for em' on e-bay or CL.  Good luck with it!  Orange County, not to far from us here in Northern NJ. 
Steve@B&B

Edited by Steve in NJ - 22 Jul 2021 at 6:34am
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Akoudlai View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akoudlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 10:17pm
Thanks!

I’m in Orange County NY, And no books just the tractor and a couple quarts of kohler oil.

An old man who owned a very large landscaping business used this around his yard as his personal toy since the day he bought it. Now that I bought his house, tractor came with it.

I’ve had a couple people offer me 1300 and 1500 for it and was tempted to sell but wanted to see if I could make it my all around workhorse instead first!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 10:07pm
wow that’s in decent shape. Welcome to the forum. Where a bouts are you in ny. I’m also in ny. Was there any books with it. 
Akoudlai View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Akoudlai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2021 at 9:43pm
So, new to the forums here, got a 917h with a house I bought and... what a machine!

Unfortunately, I only have the mower deck on it.

I was able to find a snow plow without the connecting rod to the hydraulic lever. So, if someone has that piece or can direct me to one I can purchase, it’ll save me the massive headache of making one.

Would love to find the shovel/excavator attachment for it
And
The scoop attachment,
And
A hitch to pull a cart.

Also, what maintenance should I be doing other than changing the oil? What should I look out for? What advice do you all have for me? I’m here to learn!

Trying to upload a photo but not sure if it will work...

Best,
Andrew

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic