This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 15 - Power Steering

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 15 - Power Steering
    Posted: 13 Jun 2021 at 10:56pm
Model D 15 - is there a separate reservoir for the power steering? I have checked all the fluids that I know about and they are all topped off. Between the frame for the front loader and the coating of grease on everything, it is hard for me see what is what. (I bought some degreaser and do plan on getting it all cleaned up.) About half way through mowing with a rotary cutter the steering got really hard, and still is. When I bought the tractor 2.5 years ago, the power steering pump had just been rebuilt, or maybe replaced. Can there be any other explanation for why the 'power' disappeared? The pump? The tractor can still be used, but it's a workout. Thanks!
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 4:37am
The older ones may have a separate reservoir hanging off the valve cover, under the hood. A D-15 series 2 has the reservoir in front of radiator, look for the breather/fill/dipstick behind grille, top of pedestal, sticks up about 3-4", round cyl top of a big nut.Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 9:59pm
All D15 power steering reservoirs are in the front casting regardless of series - same as D14, 17, 19.  Fill with ATF to the top of the gear inside.
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jun 2021 at 10:31pm
IF someone put an after market PS on it the reservoir is attached to belt drive pump. IF its OEM as already said, remove grill cover screen and you have a breather plug about 4" H x 1 1/4" diam. fill it so strg gear is covered ( I use an AGCO 821 equiv. in my D15 & D17s.)
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2021 at 5:13am

Remove grill, unscrew the power steering filler cap(that’s the object in the picture behind the grill)
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:14am
Thank you for the replies! I will check out the fluid reservoir and go from there. Hopefully I am just low on fluid. Thanks so far.
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 7:46am
Yes, found the reservoir behind the grill. Filled it up to the top of the gears and I once again have power steering. Thank you, thank you, thank you! 
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 9:37am
You'd better figure out where your oil leak is. Those power steering units go for years and never need oil. Parts are hard to come by and expensive for the power steering pump if you damage it from running low on oil.
TimNearFortWorth View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TimNearFortWorth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2021 at 8:15am
Good idea to remove the vented plug and clean it as they do tend to plug off at the top on the sides, it has to vent or you risk pushing fluid out the lower seal in the bolster, especially if overfilled.
Blow it off before removing using the wrench flats so you don't get any debris in the bolster reservoir, lay a clean rag over the threaded hole and clean the snot of the tall plug.
I soak em' in gas using a coffee can and enough gas to cover it entirely overnight with the plug upside down. Rinse with clean gas and you may have to use a pick or a piece of wire to clean the top where the vents are; do not remove the top as it is soldered on.
I do a final clean with the air hose and break clean making sure it is fully clean and dry before reinstalling with the correct gasket, just a nip on the wrench flats is all it needs.
Book states to cover the gear in the bolster 3/8" as I recall but I run em' where the gear is just barely covered and re-check every time I clean the radiator on the tractors used for brush cutting. If it's not been changed out for a while, operate it until good and warm/hot and pull the plug on the bolster leaving it drain overnight and you might be surprised how nasty that fluid gets. In our temps here, the small "fines" that accumulate  make plenty of dust brush cutting so I keep an eye on that fluid and blow my radiator out daily; if she's puking out the breather during a 8-10 hour day, the fluid pushed out the vent cap just collects more dust so I just barely cover the steering gear in the bolster and use only 821 equivalent fluid. The D-Series P/S set-up is quite robust, just takes a little maintenance to keep it running smooth.
John-Paul View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John-Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2021 at 11:12pm
Ok, thank you!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic