This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Livelihood's

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Livelihood's
    Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:15pm
Good evening good folks,
Just curious what the rest of the A/C family does for their livelihood. I'll start:
I was a mechanic (light and heavy) for 13 years then got a job as an assembler at a factory in 2006 and have done that ever since. And if you're retired/not working right now, what did you do? Be as specific or vague as you please. Look forward to the replies.
Sponsored Links

Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:33pm
Terminal Manager for a Fuel & Lubricants distributor in Midland TX.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:39pm
Dairy Farmer for 30 years. Work seasonal now for Andersons Plant Nutrient Division as a Transport Truck Driver. Worked seasonal 4 years as a Snow Plow driver Michigan Department of Transportation. Crop Insurance Adjuster for 13 years. I also custom Round Bale and sell around 400 to 500 round bales of my own hay. should retire but I keep one foot ahead of the other!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:39pm
Sold building materials to contractors for about 18 months, serviced restaurant cooking equipment for about 6 years and then landed a job with the Dept. of Army (civilian employee) as an aircraft technician and later in quality control until I retired. The Good Lord really blessed me with that job. One of the requirements of the job was to also be a member of a National Guard unit supported by that facility. i also served with the local volunteer fire department during this time.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
omahagreg View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omahagreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:45pm
Trim carpenter at a local pharmacy-we call ourselves the ‘mod squad’ as we modify homes so people can remain in them! We have a barrier free bath room under construction and a wheelchair ramp under way now!
Greg Kroeker
1950 WD with wide front and Freeman trip loader
Wayne180d View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wayne180d Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:54pm
Chef at Marriott, Schwan's sales person, Fast food restaurant manager and semi retired work as a fuel desk manager just 2 days a week.
TMiller/NC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TMiller/NC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:56pm
Maintenance manager in furniture plant about 25 yrs, plant closed, 8 yrs maintaining
Radio frequency  curved plywood presses, retired last 6 yrs.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:08pm
Thanks for the replies so far gentlemen.
@Lars(wi); Do you care to describe some of your duties as a terminal manager?
@klinemar; WOW! I'm worn out just reading that. LOL.
@Hubert (Ga)engine7; I've always wondered if my auto/truck mechanic background would translate into aircraft repair. Also, the volunteer firefighters that I know are REALLY passionate about firefighting.
@omahagreg; That's really cool. I wouldn't have thought it but that makes perfect sense. Who better to know when people need help in their homes during medical crises?
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:13pm
TMiller- which furniture company?
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:14pm
@Wayne180d; Did you have background/training in culinary arts for your career? Also, I'm curious as to what a fuel desk manager does. Thanks.
@TMiller/NC; Radio frequency curved plywood presses. I don't know what that is but it sounds d*mned interesting.
Ken(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ken(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:29pm
Journeyman Die Sinker (maker of forging dies) until the eighties killed the forging industry here (once forging capital of the world) Tool & Diemaker at Motor Wheel Corporation (original home of the Allis Power Shift wheel) until Goodyear spun us off and the tooling division was sold off,  during layoffs in the eighties I somehow got mixed up in Indy car racing, SCCA racing, Champ dirt cars and sprint cars as a machinist, all this going on while I was buying equipment and starting a shop of my own which has been my sole occupation for the last 33 years, making parts for laser scanning microscopes, heavy stamping and forging equipment, race cars, over the road trucks, the MSU Cyclotron, Air Lift and Firestone air bag molds and about anything else you can imagine.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:40pm
@Ken(MI); I have always admired machinists/toolmakers. Most of my machining is done with grinders holding carbide burrs/flapper discs. Sometimes, if I need to be REAL precise, I'll use a file. LOL.
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:49pm
16 years as a machinist. Made and fixed injection molds for hard hats, hard hat bands, and accessories, made extrusion dies and support tooling, also did short run production work. In my career I was everything from a machine operator to setup to programmer. Ran and programmed CNC mills, routers, lathes, and wire EDM. Also ran manual mills, lathes, surface and blanchard grinders, and sinker EDM. Last 10 years of my machinist career I was a special projects/maintenance machinist for an aluminum extrusion plant that made aircraft parts. I liked it ok but I spent more time at work then at home and would get called in nights and weekends. I started to realize my in-laws knew my kids better than I did and I decided I wasn't going to do that so I quit machining and went back to the farm. Ran my in-laws broiler farm for a couple of years and now we have our own broiler farm with 6 houses and a capacity of 235,000 birds give or take. There are some days I miss machine shops. Would like to have a shop at the farm some day. A good 12x40 or so lathe and a series 2 Bridgeport and a saw would be enough I think.
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 9:51pm
Is there any way for Ken and Thendrix could get together and make a mold for a 5040 grille shell?
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:00pm
I guess I should post since I keep commenting on everyone else. I have been a diesel mechanic for 33 years, the last 8 years working for myself in the shop I built on my family’s farm. I mainly specialize in Ford Powerstrokes. I went to work for myself because I wanted to take my daughter to and from school and get her to softball practice. Working for myself I could work around her schedule and with the shop at home (technically it’s in the back yard, Honey!) I have and will work until midnight if needed. She played softball from the age of 5 and at 10 we got involved in travel ball. She graduated two weeks ago from high school and will be going to college in august, and now I have to decide if it’s time to go work for someone else and try to lower the stress level.
jiminnd View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jiminnd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:03pm
Farmed for 17 years, 1980s hit, rural mail carrier for 24 years and continued farming on a small scale.  Got my little farm paid for that way and now relax.  Do help with planting and harvest for nephew who rents my land.
1945 C, 1949 WF and WD, 1981 185, 1982 8030, unknown D14(nonrunner)
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:25pm
Thanks again for the replies gentlemen.
@thendrix; I really believe that kids would prefer to eat rice, beans, and peanut butter whilst living in a cardboard box with dad THERE than eat lobster thermidor, beef wellington, and filet mignon whilst living in a mansion with dad GONE at work all of the time. Well done sir. BTW, is EDM electric discharge machine? I've heard that term before. What is it used for? And how is a sinker EDM different? Thanks.
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:29pm
Rural Auctioneer & real estate broker for 35 years, have Sold some of you guys here collectible Allis stuff and tractors at some of our auctions over the years.
We also run our small farm, we use about anything that's older, good condition and affordable.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:35pm
@Red Bank; Hat's off to you sir. I really respect anyone who is self employed. I couldn't do it. I need a taskmaster guiding my day. If I was in your shoes my day would go like: "I should go fix this PowerStroke BUT...this episode of "Law & Order" is super interesting. I'll get to it later". And then it would be midnight and I'd just decide to do my work tomorrow. LOL. BTW, congratulations on the graduation. My youngest son also graduated 2 weeks ago.
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:37pm
@jiminnd; That sounds idyllic. Abode paid for AND get to help plant and harvest? Delightful. 
thendrix View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thendrix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by JTOOL JTOOL wrote:

Thanks again for the replies gentlemen.
@thendrix; I really believe that kids would prefer to eat rice, beans, and peanut butter whilst living in a cardboard box with dad THERE than eat lobster thermidor, beef wellington, and filet mignon whilst living in a mansion with dad GONE at work all of the time. Well done sir. BTW, is EDM electric discharge machine? I've heard that term before. What is it used for? And how is a sinker EDM different? Thanks.

Yes EDM is electric discharge machining. A wire EDM use a small (.010 is what I've used) energized, (usually) brass wire to cut shapes. To simplify it, think of a very, very, extremely accurate lazer or waterjet that can cut 4D shapes. They're excellent in things like extrusion dies where you have to cut shapes with a very small corner radius and relief angles that have to be dead on. A good operator on a wire can hold tolerances in the tenth thousands range (.00001). A sinker EDM uses an electrode made into whatever shape you want to cut. The electrodes are generally made of brass or graphite and sinkers are used to make hard to machine shapes. Things like deep, thin pockets or ribs. The electrodes are energized and when they touch the part they complete the circuit. A crude example is when you touch something metal with a wrench while you're tightening the positive clamp on a battery. The burned spot on whatever you touched or the burned spot on the cable/post is about the same principle as the energized electrode in a sinker.

Edited by thendrix - 09 Jun 2021 at 10:53pm
"Farming is a business that makes a Las Vegas craps table look like a regular paycheck" Ronald Reagan
JTOOL View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JTOOL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 10:57pm
@Darwin W. Kurtz; Thanks for the reply. Curious, do auctioneers make their living by getting a percentage of the proceeds from the sale? Also, what do you raise on your small farm? Thanks.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 11:29pm
i've done bouts everything...has been an interesting ride! gadgiated from HS in 1971, started out as a Deputy/jailer/dispatcher in a local Sheriff's dept., farmed with dad, worked on a ranch a few years, went back to being a deputy in another county, gots hitched, worked for a local police dept, farming part time, worked 2 years in a hog confinement, drove a propane truck for many years, delivered fertilizer and NH3 for many years, drove truck, added livestock to my farming, worked construction building houses for a few years, smoked alot, drank a little, worked for an A/C dealership, where i bought my first brand new tractor (7010), added other A/C tractors and Gleaner combines thru the years, farmed full time since 1978-2015, got hired in the big city as a dispatcher for police/sheriff/fire/rescue, did special computer work for the same sheriff's dept, (finding people) did that for 26 years while still farming,  put on training classes at the police academy for something i can't say what it was for, trained officers in pursuit driving and take downs, did lots of other odd jobs here and there, most all the extra jobs over farming was to gain experience in things and get paid to learn it. am retired now from farming and off the farm work. have a few health issues...but ain't dead yet!     
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:19am
Diesel fitter, for the last 40 years, or so...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 4:55am
Fresh from Military service trade school to be a diesel mechanic, did mechanic as a main job, side job for over twenty years. Had several side jobs while mechanic, scrapper, semi truck owner & driver, tow boat service man, welder(not certified maybe certifiable), swapped occupations in 96 to utility company moved to Nuclear Power station became a roving plant operator or hands/eyes of the control room. Retired after 21 years.

Been off and on retired since 2017, just cannot get the hang of not working.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 6:25am
Grain/fertilizer,anhydrous and OTR feed ingredients hauler early on. Then left the road to work as a final assembly and tester for a feed truck manufacturer. A friend convinced me to get in to the plumbing trade where I worked in the field 20yrs then five years ago landed a job at the city as chief plumbing inspector
allisorange View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 6:27am
  Worked in a Paper Mill for 37 years and famed also.
Retired in 1996 and still farm a little with family helping.

J Carlson
Darwin W. Kurtz View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Darwin W. Kurtz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:14am
Auctioneers are paid commission based on percentage
Brian F(IL) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Brian F(IL) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 8:45am
Retired on 12/31/20 after 40+ years working for Farm Credit helping farm families succeed.  Now help my buddy with his farming operation of +/- 2,000 acres.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2021 at 9:43am
Worked 5 years at a plumbing supply company right out of high school . Then 6 years driving a truck , local pickup and delivery . Lastly 33 years at a paper mill , mostly in production . Retired about 5 years ago I guess . Sure beats working !
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic