This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

1952 CA - Next Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1952 CA - Next Project
    Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 10:52am
First off I have to give a huge shout out to forum member M1084. He went to the effort of getting this tractor to an AC person - and he had a crane to lift it on my truck bed. Thank you sir - I had a great visit.

The tractor is a 1952 CA (CA19647) that is in rough shape but is mostly complete. The cylinder head was removed at some point and the motor was tarped, but full of mice. So far I know it'll need all 4 tires, 1 new front rim, 1 new rear rim, a gas tank, an engine kit, push rods, a carburetor, and plenty of other things. Once I get my WD back together I hope to start working on this tractor. I'll have some time to accumulate parts at swap meets and such over the next year or two.

I've been wanting a C or a CA for a cultivating tractor, hoping I can eventually find and set up a cultivator for 14/15" rows.

Before any of that, I have to figure out how I'm going to unload it off of my flatbed, ha.

Edited by wjohn - 04 Apr 2021 at 10:53am
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 5:25pm
John,
 You have a big project with the CA. Its just nuts and bolts! You can do this!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 6:50pm
Use a roll back wrecker,
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Apr 2021 at 7:18pm
  I've always said the CA is the biggest little tractor ever made. You'll have a lot of fun with it after you have it going and will probably like it more than your WD.
 When you get to it, I have many of the miscellaneous small things you'll be needing, like the pushrods and things.  I also have a 100% complete set of cultivators for a CA. Although unless you are thinking of a sightseeing road trip east, I might be a bit far away. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2021 at 10:58pm
I am really looking forward to this one, that's for sure. The PTO shaft and belt pulley spin, so that's a start, and I was able to get the shifter in and out of neutral and reverse. The engine is obviously frozen, and so is the hand clutch lever. I know pulling the engine and just handling parts in general will be easier than with my WD due to the size.

The rollback is a great idea... I could probably pay $100 and have it on the ground in no time. I've been kicking around putting in a dirt/railroad tie loading dock. I just wasn't planning on making the time for that project this soon. I've also been trying to think of a short steep spot on my property (ditch, pond dam, etc.) that might work.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 1:48pm
I used to use roll backs a lot putting cars up into my trailer that was dock height, the temporary railroad tie dock is a workable deal,backing into a ditch not such a good plan if the trailer floor isn't level anything on wheels is going to roll on you, gravity sucks,, I think that was one of Newton's laws
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 3:18pm
The roll back wrecker idea for unloading your CA is a good suggestion.  A good operator can unload the CA where you want assuming he can back his truck up to your parking place.  You may want to check out the Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club.  We're on the web.  Our next annual Allis-Chalmers Exclusive swap meet will be at Lathrop, MO. on March 4 & 5, 2022.  Lathrop is north of Kansas City & located near I-35. By then you'll be shopping for parts.  Good luck with your CA & WD!
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 4:01pm
What result do you seek for it - show queen, smoke belching rag tag unit, or something in between?
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by TomC TomC wrote:

I used to use roll backs a lot putting cars up into my trailer that was dock height, the temporary railroad tie dock is a workable deal,backing into a ditch not such a good plan if the trailer floor isn't level anything on wheels is going to roll on you, gravity sucks,, I think that was one of Newton's laws

I'm thinking if I'm careful I'd be okay, since only one of the rears is really round at this point and it's going to take some serious pull to drag it off. Definitely want to keep safety in mind, though.

Ideally I'd build a permanent dock with the railroad ties just acting as a retaining wall, with dirt behind them. I have a good spot for that at my place but right now the approach is too gentle to get the edge of my flatbed close enough to the high spot. I might go post in the Shops etc. section and see what loading docks everyone on here has and what they like and don't like.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by Dan Hauter Dan Hauter wrote:

The roll back wrecker idea for unloading your CA is a good suggestion.  A good operator can unload the CA where you want assuming he can back his truck up to your parking place.  You may want to check out the Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club.  We're on the web.  Our next annual Allis-Chalmers Exclusive swap meet will be at Lathrop, MO. on March 4 & 5, 2022.  Lathrop is north of Kansas City & located near I-35. By then you'll be shopping for parts.  Good luck with your CA & WD!

Thanks, I hope to make it up there next year!
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by KMAG KMAG wrote:

What result do you seek for it - show queen, smoke belching rag tag unit, or something in between?

In-between - I want this tractor to be mechanically solid (new engine kit etc.) but I think the paint is decent enough that I'll leave it in its work clothes. I'm hoping I can figure out how to make some version of the CA cultivator work for 14/15" rows.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:03am
John,
 I am sure your tractor will be a good addition to the farm and working crops.
The narrow rows? I think you will come up with something that will work. You doing organic farming?
 Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Trinity45 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Trinity45 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:10am
I have two CA's one narrow and one wide front use them both for mowing and working the gardens, love the power in such a small tractor.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:13am
the 'contractor' next door would just winch it up using one of thoses  trusses.......LOL

you could borrow Chris' forklift ....Big smile

ok, seriously.... make a 'ramp' out of a LOT of skids, then lay 2by10,2by12 for the tires to roll down. Put air INTO tires first,lots if you can,then stake the last skid from truck to keep 'ramp assembly' from shifting as you pull CA down.

I'd be looking for a 'donor' tractor for another engine, pretty sure yours won't start with fresh gas and a good battery.... This  would allow you  get the beastie 'up and running' and give you a 'Winter project'... rebuilding the original engine.

I miss my '51 CA,sniff,sniffCry
Jay

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:15pm
That is my favorite small AC tractor with the wide front. Pull the motor, a set of sleeves and pistons, easy, head to a machine shop, put cam bearings in her, a gasket here or there, clean the gas tank, she'll go.

Edited by HD6GTOM - 07 Apr 2021 at 7:16pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:38pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

John,
 I am sure your tractor will be a good addition to the farm and working crops.
The narrow rows? I think you will come up with something that will work. You doing organic farming?
 Regards,
 Chris

We'll see Chris. I not sure if I will end up doing 100% certified organic but I will not be using much in the way of herbicides, so if it pencils out I may go to the extra trouble. Those plans are still a few years away, but brewing. In the meantime I am accumulating as much equipment as I can!
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:39pm
I wonder if the rear tires are too wide for 15" rows. What sort of crop will you be cultivating?
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:40pm
Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

That is my favorite small AC tractor with the wide front. Pull the motor, a set of sleeves and pistons, easy, head to a machine shop, put cam bearings in her, a gasket here or there, clean the gas tank, she'll go.

I'm hoping to do that with everything except the gas tank... It's a little too far gone. I'd rank this one as the worst I've come across.

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:46pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

the 'contractor' next door would just winch it up using one of thoses  trusses.......LOL

you could borrow Chris' forklift ....Big smile

ok, seriously.... make a 'ramp' out of a LOT of skids, then lay 2by10,2by12 for the tires to roll down. Put air INTO tires first,lots if you can,then stake the last skid from truck to keep 'ramp assembly' from shifting as you pull CA down.

I'd be looking for a 'donor' tractor for another engine, pretty sure yours won't start with fresh gas and a good battery.... This  would allow you  get the beastie 'up and running' and give you a 'Winter project'... rebuilding the original engine.

I miss my '51 CA,sniff,sniffCry
Jay

Maybe if I had a forklift and borrowed Chris' at the same time? Ha! I was telling a friend about the CA today, and he was surprised how much it weighs.

I may end up doing some kind of "pyramid scheme" for unloading. I have plenty of treated 2x8s and decking from two porches I tore down, a few railroad ties, etc.

Once I get the WD done I should have time to get to the engine on this one.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:00pm
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

I wonder if the rear tires are too wide for 15" rows. What sort of crop will you be cultivating?

That's a good question. I'm looking at soybeans and milo. The soybeans will get wide fast, so I'm not sure how long into the season I would be able to cultivate them.

The current tires are shot so I can at least start from scratch with 11.2x24s, which are probably the narrowest I can go? I need to double check and make sure the one good rear rim is 10x24 and not any wider.
KMAG View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KMAG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 8:17pm
For smaller tires, swap on a set of 6 lug B/C or Farmall A wheels.

Edited by KMAG - 07 Apr 2021 at 8:18pm
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2021 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by KMAG KMAG wrote:

For smaller tires, swap on a set of 6 lug B/C or Farmall A wheels.

That could be an option. I don't think I'll need to move the wheel spacing around too much on this tractor, but you never know what other implements I might find. My land is generally too rocky for a moldboard plow to be worth it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 7:31am
John,
 Jay may be correct. Not sure adding fresh gas will allow it to fire right up. I was thinking another tractor setting along side so you can use parts from 2 to make 1 also.
Consider backing into a ditch near a tree and pull it off, not sure you could hurt much with a gentle drop of a foot or so? 
The fork lift is available but might be a long drive!:)
That gas tank may not even make good wall art. Sorry, I don't think that is going to buff out!Smile
Be careful unloading that CA.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Apr 2021 at 9:23pm
BrianC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 8:05am
Maybe some hardware cloth and Flex Seal (as seen on TV) will fix up that fuel tank Thumbs Up
As far as I know, the only reproduction tank made is for the model G.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2021 at 8:09am
I have CA parts, including a serviceable fuel tank. Not real close though. Let me know if I can help.

Pretty sure Sugarmaker is right, that will not buff out.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2021 at 2:56pm
Good luck!  I cherish my CA's.  They are indeed a great big little tractor.  You'll LOVE it when you get it going.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 8:51pm
Finally got things unloaded last weekend. I did not get my overhead door to my shop opened quite enough and the CA steering wheel caught the bottom panel as I pulled the truck out... Derp. I know better but wasn't thinking. The door panel was salvageable with some massaging and it won't take much to bend the CA steering wheel back a few degrees.

Ended up making a quick stab at a loading dock with a lot of shoveling and some railroad ties. It held up long enough for me to get the CA dragged off of the bed. I need to spend more time and put deadman ties back into the hill to keep it from pushing out from the dirt and weight of anything on top of the dock. There's no rush now that my truck is unloaded so I can do it right.

Other than that the height was on the low side but that's fine, considering I'd like to be able to use the dock for a ~32" deck flatbed gooseneck trailer as well in the near future. The bed on my truck sits up around 44" so I somewhat split the difference and have the railroad tie dock up to ~36".

The left rear rim pretty well broke apart right when I got to the spot I wanted to park it. The engine is well covered, and the CA is now patiently waiting for me to finish putting the WD back together this year.

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 8:54pm
Originally posted by BrianC BrianC wrote:

Maybe some hardware cloth and Flex Seal (as seen on TV) will fix up that fuel tank Thumbs Up
As far as I know, the only reproduction tank made is for the model G.

Ha, Flex Seal tape would be funny. If they want to step up and sponsor me with a free roll, I'd give it a shot. Nothing to lose on this tank!
Jgranat View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jgranat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2021 at 7:31am
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

Originally posted by HD6GTOM HD6GTOM wrote:

I'm hoping to do that with everything except the gas tank... It's a little too far gone. I'd rank this one as the worst I've come across.

That would be a real challenge to fix....I have a C that I recently bought that had a LOT of rust and crud in the tank but it is cleaning up much better than that one would.
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2021 at 1:51am
Well I suppose you could make it on the bright side.  When you look into that tank thru the fill hole, you don't see any rust!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic