This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Should I be Angry or Thankful?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Should I be Angry or Thankful?
    Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 2:27pm
I am working on rebuilding a B&S Engine out of my AC B210. I took the crankshaft into a local small engine shop to have them take the ball bearings off. The kid too it to the back, used an air hammer to get the bearings off and brought it back to me and said, "no charge." I got home and realized that he chipped off/mangled two of teeth on the timing gear.

Based on the photos I am sharing, was this crankshaft junk anyway? The portion on the magneto journal is pitted out, but nothing sits on there anyway. I'm looking for some advice--if I should go back to that shop and show the damage they did, or call it a blessing in disguise.

Edited by Austin(WI) - 26 Mar 2021 at 2:28pm
"Better By Design"
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 5:53am
sad ,really... used a chipping hammer ??
yeesh.any reason why you didn't just use an angle grinder with a thin cutoff wheel and remove the bearing in pieces ??
I do that 1-2 times a year...decided decades ago bearins are cheap, crankshaft are expensive ! I've never damaged any of the cranks ove rthe years.
BTW that one looks 'special'... what are the odds of getting another ??
I'd lightly smooth down the chipped teeth,looks 'servicable' to me....

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 10:02pm
I'm wit' the Jaybird on that one. Teeth don't look bad enough to me to reuse the crank as long as the journals of the crank are okay. Hey, no charge Austin for my opinion.... LOL!
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 1:24pm
Thanks guys! :D
"Better By Design"
Austin(WI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin(WI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 1:24pm
I would have taken these off myself, but I am still building my tool inventory. I know better next time.
"Better By Design"
Lee (MN) View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lee (MN) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 10:18pm
warm them up with a torch and they will fall off 😮 

Lee😉

B212
Willy's Jeeps
Gleaner K
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic