This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

farm for sale

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Feb 2021 at 9:38am
Originally posted by mdm1 mdm1 wrote:

Was the estate taken to probate? If it was probated go to the local probate court and ask for a copy of the will. I understand that after probate the will is public. Talk to an estate lawyer about how to proceed. I know moving all your stuff will be an enormous hassle but do you want to stay there and look out each day and see what has happened. If you do purchase the home and some acreage pay the going price so you won't have to feel indebted to the stockholders. Don't do something out of spite. I had a similar situation and just bought my own. First day looked out and said this is mine do what I want when I want. Big relief. Sorry about the length!

Second this!

My other thought was that if the land was legally transferred from your dad's name to another entity (trust, person, whatever) then something should be on file related to that at the county courthouse. I have seen wills listed out in the title abstract research books you get when you buy a property. If it changes owners, there has to be documentation of it with the county.

I got a few abstracts with a pasture that I bought that are for some other unrelated properties, and one of them was like reading a soap opera - the old guy's will was in there in its entirety, and it turns out he had some daughter that none of the rest of the family knew about and there were all kinds of legal battles that took awhile to settle. It was all documented in the abstracts. Not sure if NE does that level of detail or not but it might be worth paying a title company a few hundred bucks to compile an abstract of the farm property.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 2:31am
i guess i don't know what probate is? never heard of it before...all i get on the web is more places to click on, nothing stops and explains it. can ya'll?
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 4:38am
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 9:34am
Dale, in Layman’s terms, probate is the legal process of settling someone’s estate.
‘Probate Court’ in most states is at the county government level.
A Will ( if there is one), is submitted to the court, by the lawyer that drafted the will. The court is there to insure that the executor properly ‘disposes’ of the estate. That means that the person named in the will as executor( the person that was chosen by the individual that died), carried out the instructions in the will.
Everybody named in a will MUST receive a copy of the will. That is a responsibility of the executor.
I would NEVER EVER TAKE SOMEBODY’S WORD of what was in a will if I was named in it.
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
KJCHRIS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KJCHRIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 12:48pm
Shameless, sorry to hear this. 
You should be able to go to the county assessors office and see whose name is listed as owner of property where you live. Maybe on all parcels.  
IF you or at least more than 1 person is listed as part owner, you can try to get the others to go along with an auction. At least then you've a chance no sweetheart sale made. 
Hhmmmm, I got long winded again.!!!! 
I'm sure mine will be up for auction when I'm gone. The 3 Niece's will not have $$$ to pay taxes n keep it. Plus all live in Va. 
2 - 80,s sold on a online auction 2 years ago near me. Brought far more than local people expected. 
Last fall family across road to south of me auctioned off 190+ tillable acres in 2 parcels, to settle their mom's estate. Farming son kept 60+ acres. Both parcels sold near $9800/ acre. None of the local bigshots were in the bidding after $5,000. 2 new owners were in school when I was, 1 lives in Des Moines, 1 in Omaha. Both have brothers n nephews farming within 20 miles that will be new neighbors. 
AC 200, CAH, AC185D bareback, AC 180D bareback, D17 III, WF. D17 Blackbar grill, NF. D15 SFW. Case 1175 CAH, Bobcat 543B,
DougG View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DougG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 1:49pm
I do luv when it's a mixed ppl deal, gal pals going thru that - in my book - not true blood no say

Edited by DougG - 01 Mar 2021 at 4:26am
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 5:49pm
In reading Wjohns comment, it looks like the guy had another daughter, perhaps before he married the mother of his other kids.  If she has his DNA, seems like she should get a share, unless she is not listed in the will.  Then it's up to the court and the sharpest lawyer to work it out.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

In reading Wjohns comment, it looks like the guy had another daughter, perhaps before he married the mother of his other kids.  If she has his DNA, seems like she should get a share, unless she is not listed in the will.  Then it's up to the court and the sharpest lawyer to work it out.

Sorry, didn't go into enough details... He left her a proper share of his assets, but the rest of the family wasn't having it, and tried to deny her anything. Their lawsuit didn't hold up but it took a good while in court, based on the dates and rulings of everything I have in the abstracts. I suspect you are right and she was from before he married his wife that he later had several other kids with - or perhaps she was the result of an affair... I never dug around enough to try to find her age, or marriage dates, or anything like that.

And this was well before DNA testing anyhow!

My main point, Shameless, is that if the land is no longer in your dad's name, it had to have been legally transferred to somebody/something else, which would be documented at the courthouse. If death was the reason for the transfer then from what I have seen in my title abstracts (at least in KS and IL) the will or the relevant portion of it affecting land assets is referenced or fully listed out with the deed transfer documentation at the courthouse.

It could be as brief as basically saying all named heirs get equal parts of any estate left at the time of death, or it could be much more detailed. Either way you should be able to find something, I would hope.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2021 at 11:15pm
thanks everyone! this gives me a place to start investigating. the name of the farm was changed just before Dad passed and has remained under that name(s). i'm feeling a little better about all this right now...but still saddened in many ways. thanks again for helping me with this. ya'll ROCK!
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 9:08am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

thanks everyone! this gives me a place to start investigating. the name of the farm was changed just before Dad passed and has remained under that name(s). i'm feeling a little better about all this right now...but still saddened in many ways. thanks again for helping me with this. ya'll ROCK!

OK, Good Buddy,,,you are getting some great advise and ,,,,,,It also looks to me that you been being a "nice Guy" long enough since "they" been keeping you in the dark far too long!! UNFORTUNATELY,,,Land, Property and Relatives have always been a tri'some that spells BIG trouble for most families. Since "the stock holders have not keept you in the know, you gonna have to assume, that ain't gonna start any time soon,,,maybe not even AFTER they sell everything out from under you. IF, they were any where close to being FAIR with your interests, they would have already given you a copy of the deed and all other agreements that they have done since,,,right?
 You need to hire an attorney like SOON, Please don't try to do this on your own, cause you can bet your Big Boy trk and everything else,,they are gonna have a sharp talking lawyer on their side,,!!

farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 9:56am
Just my $.02, if the executor is telling you that the will is lost then he hiding something.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 10:12am
DJ, I keep getting the feeling that the 'stockholders' think they should have the most of the 'equal shares' than the one that actually stayed and worked...

And I have the same thoughts as Farmboy does... Losing the will , they are hiding some facts.
 Happened close to here, in fact the daughter and s-i-l went into the old man's house and stole the will from his safe... never to be seen of again.  and the brother knew what was in the will because the old man had put his 40 acres in to be with the original farm that the son had bought from him. But the sister thought the 40 acres and house should be sold for profit for themselves since they took care of the old man the last two months of his life.  Where as the son had spent the last 3 years going down there and checking on him and helping him every day.  And then the personal stuff started disappearing and found stuff in a grandsons garage and some other stuff at the sisters place ...  The son said she could have all the stuff of their mothers but there were things that were left for the other brothers... which they didn't get because the sister got the courts to disperse it at an auction...  
  What is that old sayin? evil is as evil does...  the s-i-l died a few years later and the sister got sick.    
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 11:06am

Yeah,,JC,, I do not know ole Shameless like most of ya'll do,  but I do see where he is a very trusting person and while that attribute is something most people will never be, it can and will wind up hurting him, I'm afraid.
 When they started that BS that the will was,,"lost", that was when the dishonesty on their part started.!!!  That will is NOT LOST ,,or they could have never reached any agreements with the leasing out of the farm that they did!!
I sure hope ole Shameless gets him a GOOD attorney "NOW" to represent his many years of working on his Daddy's farm cause I don't thnk them dudes are gonna be bothered too much with putting him out,,,,,
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 11:33am
It pains me to say this, but if there ever was a time for mean a$$ lawyer now is when you need one Dale. The even harder part is finding one that is mean enough but will not turn around and bit you too. Praying for you to find the right people to do honest work in these legal matters.

Can you tell I am not a fan of lawyers. But there are times and places your a fool if you don't at least try to find one to handle matters. Maybe a good bluff will make the stockholder pony up the will, BUT DON"T BET ON IT. I agree with the other that think you being take for a ride.

Edited by Ray54 - 01 Mar 2021 at 11:37am
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 11:39am
Hey Shameless, I'm really sorry to be hearing all this. I think the other guys have offered some pretty good advice. I would say we make pretty good farm ownership loans at the Farm Service Agency, rates this month are 2.75%, so that might be an option if you're looking to purchase more than just a few acres of the farm. 
Thoughts and prayers sent your way! 
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 4:38pm
I fully agree that you need a good sharp lawyer that will get down and dirty. One question I have not seen posed yet is "who has been paying taxes on the property since your Dad passed." In Georgia that goes a long way in establishing ownership, especially after 7 years. As for the will being lost, that is a crock of crap. Even if the original document is missing there should be copies out there. Probate should be done as soon as respectful after a person passes. Even though I was the only heir, shortly after my Dad passed I took his will to an attorney to be probated and everything transferred into my name. Is there a chance the stockholders had the will probated and "forgot" to let you know?
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
klinemar View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote klinemar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 5:09pm
Sad to hear of your predicament Shameless. Sounds like you have one stockholder who wants to be the Chief Operating Officer. As others have posted the will should have been Probated. I hope for you and your Loving wife everything goes for the better!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 9:10pm
One of the stockholders is a distant neighbor of me, a couple miles away, still, I may have to pay him a visit...

As a side note, after one of my dads distant cousins retired, he spent a bunch of time at the courthouse tracking down the ownership of the family farm in Ohio.  Followed it from it was bought from the government in 1811 up to the last transfer a few years ago.  The farm was around 170 acres at one time then the family that owned it gave each of the children 20 acres, over the years my distant family bought up most of the place then after my grandfather died in a fire, the land was split up again.  My folks bought 7 acres of in in the early 1950's and sold it in 1956 when we moved to Colorado.  Not only was it interesting reading but the handwriting back then was simply beautiful! 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2021 at 11:37pm
stay away from him John...you'll only gits angry just talking with him, very unlikable fellow, one of them know it all's! he's stayed away from me mostly, so that's good. and i don't need any phone calls from him, it'll only raise my blood pressure up! hard to find any farm attorneys around here, but i do know some that they absolutly hate just because of who they are! i may hafta sell the Chevy/Allis to pay for the attorney! PffffT!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 12:05am
another thing that gripes my ***, i might hafta leave my new cook shack behind! PfffffT!
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 2:07am
You got receipts on that... So they can't take your personal property from you.... unless they got a sharkster lawyer working for them.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 9:26am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

stay away from him John...you'll only gits angry just talking with him, very unlikable fellow, one of them know it all's! he's stayed away from me mostly, so that's good. and i don't need any phone calls from him, it'll only raise my blood pressure up! hard to find any farm attorneys around here, but i do know some that they absolutly hate just because of who they are! i may hafta sell the Chevy/Allis to pay for the attorney! PffffT!

Well,,,,,I will say this,,,,,"you done figured out how to keep me in line",,,,ain't you,,??Wink
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:40am
Wink My memory any more? That cook shack was new just months ago. Hauled in lifted up on your deck/porch?  Load it back up put on the land you bought in town, for now.  WinkWinkWink  You did not nail it down did you.LOLLOLLOL

It always hurts to pay a blood sucker, but can pay off BIG. If you win. Good luck fighting this.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:22pm
Dale, before you go putting out good money, go to the county court house, probate office and ask to see the records of your fathers will. That should be free, or small fee.
A good lawyer may come in handy, but you can do the preliminary for free yourself. While there, you could also check on the ownership of the farm, with all transactions as far back as you need to go.

I don't know much about your situation, but if you are being denied opportunity ot see the will, that smells very rotton! 

I wish you luck my friend
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Lars(wi) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lars(wi) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 10:42pm
It would seem strange that every ‘stockholder’ lost their copy of the will.
Even stranger yet, the probate court did not follow up with the executor, do insure all bequests in the will were fulfilled.
In some states, the executor must file reports with the court detailing the actions taken to execute to will.
Dale, I have this sinking feeling these ‘stockholders’ have deliberately screwed you royally.
How did you all get along when you were kids?
Did the others enjoy growing up on a farm?
Did your father favor certain children in regards to the farm?
Do all the ‘stockholders’ have the same father & mother?
I tried to follow the science, but it was not there. I then followed the money, and that’s where I found the science.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:52pm
Dale, the visit I was thinking about was not going to be friendly.....
allischalmerguy View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allischalmerguy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:55pm
I am sorry to hear this Shameless! I pray things get better for you.
It is great being a disciple of Jesus! 1950 WD, 1957 D17...retired in Iowa,
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 9:56pm
How many stockholders are there ?  Older or younger ?  All from the city or out of state ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
mdm1 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mdm1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 10:18am
Just out of curiosity. Have you found anything out yet? Inquiring minds you know.
Everything is impossible until someone does it! WD45-trip loader 1947 c w/woods belly mower, 1939 B, #3 sickle mower 1944 B, 2 1948 G's. Misc other equipment that my wife calls JUNK!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 10:03pm
MDM....no i haven't, it appears to be a cluster **** at the court house, i will hafta go back there when i can spend more time there. appears the court house has no record of the house i live in...which has been here since 1953. the crops grown on the farm pays the taxes as most do. cept where i live, and i have to find out more on this. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic