This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis Chalmers WC Restoration

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Allis Chalmers WC Restoration
    Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 10:00am
Hello all, I am joining this forum as I am doing a restoration of a 1946 WC through my schools FFA chapter. I have had one h*** of a time with this tractor and it is slowly driving me crazy. Does anybody know off hand what the size of the rear wheel studs are? The tractor has the solid cast rear axle with the removable 1 piece bull gear/wheel hubs.
Sponsored Links

JoeM(GA) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JoeM(GA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 1:59pm
5/8-11 if I remember correctly
Allis Express North Georgia
41 WC,48 UC Cane,7-G's,
Ford 345C TLB
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2021 at 3:41pm
Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of tips for help here. I confirm that Joe's memory is right about the 5/8'' coarse thread rear wheel studs/bolts. What in particular is driving you crazy about the restoration? I hope you get to the point of enjoying it soon!
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
dengel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 7:41am
Originally posted by Eric B Eric B wrote:

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of tips for help here. I confirm that Joe's memory is right about the 5/8'' coarse thread rear wheel studs/bolts. What in particular is driving you crazy about the restoration? I hope you get to the point of enjoying it soon!

Thank you, it has been driving me crazy mainly because of the amount of cobbling together the previous owner did. We cannot find stock brake and clutch pedals, the sheet tin is trashed, and he seized the rear end up in a parade by running it dry, not to mention the $4500 bill to redo the completely destroyed motor. That's just a sample of the issues that I've been having. Luckily it will be raffled off, 1500 tickets at $10 so hopefully we can cover our costs at minimum.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 8:43am
What state are you in? Waterford NY ?

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:33am
Maybe Waterford PA? We have some Dengler's in the area too?? Interesting project! Done see many AC machines brought back and raffled off. Would like to see some pictures. Folks on here might take a chance on it too if allowed?? 
Anyway your efforts, frustration and funds sound very familiar! BTDT. 
Good luck, and yes this is the place to get your Allis information!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 11:52am
Just to clarify, I have some WC parts that I could probably dig out, if it was close enough so shipping wouldn't kill us.
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 12:23pm
Depending on how far along your project is, you may do well to buy a whole parts tractor. If it wasn't that I am at the other side of the continent I have two WC's that are available at different stages of disrepair, one also like yours with a steel rear end. Unfortunately, I don't ship individual parts. As has been said, if you can post some pictures that would be interesting for us on this forum, thanks.  
Currently- WD,WC,3WF's,2 D14's B. Previously- I 600,TL745,200,FL9,FR12,H3,816 LBH. Earth has no sorrow that Heaven cannot heal!
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2021 at 9:25pm
WC's never had brake pedals. Any brake pedal on a WC was aftermarket or homemade.
dengel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:20am
Thanks for the responses everybody, I am located in Waterford WI. One question that I have is what is meant when you say that WC's had no brake pedals? How do the brakes work when in a stock configuration then? How would the brake bands be actuated to tighten onto the drums? I will definitely upload pictures later today for you guys, we finally got the wheels on however we snapped off the last bolts holding on the rear wheels on each side. So now we somehow have to get 2 grade 5 bolts out of the rear hubs, yay! 
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 10:50am
There's a handle from each brake, it's about knee high. It takes both hands to operate both brakes at the same time.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Eric B View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Feb 2021 at 11:35am
Originally posted by dengel dengel wrote:

Thanks for the responses everybody, I am located in Waterford WI. One question that I have is what is meant when you say that WC's had no brake pedals? How do the brakes work when in a stock configuration then? How would the brake bands be actuated to tighten onto the drums? I will definitely upload pictures later today for you guys, we finally got the wheels on however we snapped off the last bolts holding on the rear wheels on each side. So now we somehow have to get 2 grade 5 bolts out of the rear hubs, yay! 
You're making life hard for yourself when you break studs/bolts Ouch, it takes a lot of force to bust a 5/8" bolt. 150 foot pounds of torque would be enough for your application. To make things easier for yourself consult a torque chart as you probably still have a lot of bolts and nuts to go before your project is completed.
KenBWisc View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote KenBWisc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Feb 2021 at 9:07am
Jaeckel Salvage at Fort Atkinson may have the parts you need.
'34 WC #629, '49 G, '49 B, '49 WD, '62 D-19, '38 All Crop 60 and still hunting!
dengel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2021 at 8:44am
Originally posted by KenBWisc KenBWisc wrote:

Jaeckel Salvage at Fort Atkinson may have the parts you need.

I would think so, I was just avoiding going there over the winter months as I have had some bad experiences there in winters past. Mainly involving sliding downhill in my pickup towards a IH 1086. But now that it has started thawing I suppose I could venture out there.
Dan Hauter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dan Hauter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2021 at 1:19pm
Dengel, what's your timeline for completing your project? The Orange Spectacular and Gathering of the Orange shows are being held this year at the same time in Hutchinson, MN.  The show will be huge and impressive.  July 23 - 25.  There's always a swap meet where all kinds of parts will be available.  It may be too late for you but the Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club's annual swap meet is this weekend, March 5 & 6, at Boonville, MO.  Weather is supposed to be good.  The Allis Connection has a show on Fathers Day weekend, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, at Middle Amana, Iowa.  There's a swap meet there, too.  There are always A-C guys at these events who will be happy to help a young person with a project.  Lots of knowledge to be shared.  I belong to the local FFA Alumni organization.  Please let us know when we can buy tickets for your tractor raffle.  
dengel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Dan Hauter Dan Hauter wrote:

Dengel, what's your timeline for completing your project? The Orange Spectacular and Gathering of the Orange shows are being held this year at the same time in Hutchinson, MN.  The show will be huge and impressive.  July 23 - 25.  There's always a swap meet where all kinds of parts will be available.  It may be too late for you but the Missouri Allis-Chalmers Club's annual swap meet is this weekend, March 5 & 6, at Boonville, MO.  Weather is supposed to be good.  The Allis Connection has a show on Fathers Day weekend, Friday, Saturday, & Sunday, at Middle Amana, Iowa.  There's a swap meet there, too.  There are always A-C guys at these events who will be happy to help a young person with a project.  Lots of knowledge to be shared.  I belong to the local FFA Alumni organization.  Please let us know when we can buy tickets for your tractor raffle.  

Right now the timeline is looking like hopefully we will be done at the middle of April, latest the end of April. Currently our biggest setback is the motor. Speaking of which, does anybody know of a good source for new connecting rods for these motors? 3 of our 4 rods are cracked. The motor shop can recast them but that will take at least 4 weeks and that is one expensive date. Tickets will be on sale here soon, I will be sure to post when they are available as well as post pictures tonight if I can remember to do so.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 7:46am
welcome to the forum. Do you have parts book and can come up with part numbers of things you need.
By the way how does ffa projects work. Could someone donate a project tractor to a ffa to restore 
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 8:53am
Some good close-to-home help for you would be found with some of the Allis experts in the South East Wisconsin Antique Power & Collectible Society which normally meets in Union Grove.  I am thinking of Paul Mantey and others, but off hand don't know of any WC collectors (Most are WD or D-series guys that I know).  I also don't know if the Dilg's in Northern Illinois are in to WC's or not.  R. Musgrave, Burlington, Wisconsin
Robert Musgrave View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Robert Musgrave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Mar 2021 at 5:00pm
Dengel, Please Private message me--a good buddy lives around Bohner's Lake South of Burlington, who has parts WC available with sheet metal too!  R. Musgrave
dengel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Mikez Mikez wrote:

welcome to the forum. Do you have parts book and can come up with part numbers of things you need.
By the way how does ffa projects work. Could someone donate a project tractor to a ffa to restore 

Yes I have a owners manual, parts manual, and service manual that I can reference. There are multiple ways the project could work however the most common way is that a local community member or someone who is interested in donating a tractor will give us a tractor to restore or offer it to us at significantly discounted price. Then we look to the community to source as many parts from local stores as opposed to ordering however it has become harder and harder to locate sponsors in the community as the project occurs every year and we have become much more established in this sort of project.
dengel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Robert Musgrave Robert Musgrave wrote:

Dengel, Please Private message me--a good buddy lives around Bohner's Lake South of Burlington, who has parts WC available with sheet metal too!  R. Musgrave

PM sentSmile
dengel View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dengel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 10:17am
I just wanted to update everyone that tickets are now available for anyone interested, I haven't sold in this format before however if anyone is interested I'm sure we can find a way to make it work. They are $10 per with 1500 tickets to be sold with the drawing to be held on Sept. 18th, 2021. We will be selling both online this year as well as in person at a variety of shows and possibly some new ones we have never been to before that you guys have mentioned on this forum. Feel free to PM me with any questions or inquiries. Thanks!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic