This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keen Work Shoes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keen Work Shoes
    Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 5:40pm
I purchased a pair of Keen "tennis type" shoes  a year and a half ago, the RH shoe lace let go of the "outer" skin a week ago, but other than lack of "friction" on tying it up (the RH shoe), I've got NO complaints with this brand/style of work shoe, and I beat the HE&% out of my footwear WinkWink
Sponsored Links

Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 8:14pm
Never had a pair but I have heard good things about them. A lot of times I replace my laces with 550 cord.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 9:05pm
Review or a Keen work boot - lot of different boots reviewed in online video and many different brands also can be found . 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xo_CbmlJsg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ibtBTEsHRM

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 12 Dec 2020 at 9:22pm
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 11:46pm
I wear tennis shoe style composite toe Keens in the summer and boot style in the winter. The laces absolutely suck. They do not last at least not as long as the boots or shoes do. The footwear is the most comfortable I have found. I can wear all day long and walk as much as I want and my feet never hurt.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 7:10am
A few carpenters I know wear them, only drawbacks they note are laces, lace eyes and they tend to be slippery or More slippery on steel roofing as barns.  I have always had to buy Defined Heel work boots as defined by a Safety Department where these did not meet the definition for power station work.  Carolina's were the best I could get for my purposes and own comfort, still buy them over anything else.

Edited by DMiller - 13 Dec 2020 at 7:11am
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 10:40am
I've been wearing Red Wings for about 50 years. Don't plan on changing.

917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 11:38am
Have a pair of Lacrosse boots that one lace just came apart also . Had to cut it so I could get it out and measure it . Krazy that's it's 72" long . Found a pair 60" that I'm wearing now . Thanks !
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

Yep, 35 for me.
Maximum use of available resources!
Hubert (Ga)engine7 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hubert (Ga)engine7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Have a pair of Lacrosse boots that one lace just came apart also . Had to cut it so I could get it out and measure it . Krazy that's it's 72" long . Found a pair 60" that I'm wearing now . Thanks !
EJ, get some 550 cord (paracord) from Lowe's or somewhere like that, cut it to length, melt the ends and put a short piece of heat shrink tubing over the ends and you will have your own custom made laces. Email me if you want more info.
Just an old country boy saved by the grace of God.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 8:43pm
A while back i found a video where they showed Red Wing boots being made and in the video a few other boots also shown - then the boot was cut in half to show actual construction - 
 Big part is the guy was a cobbler and the work boots shown could all be resoled or repaired - the site also had 2 other shops who did similar videos and also were cobblers .

Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 9:25pm
Thanks for the tip Hubert !
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:09pm

28 years ago when I was "scraping by" as a newlywed with rent to pay, I went "ALL OUT" on a pair of RW's, needless to say, I've NEVER had another pair of RW's on my feet again Angry !!
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:13pm
I’ve had decent enough experience with Red Wings, but I’m pretty sure my foot was used as the model to make Danner 11 D’s steel toe. Fits perfectly. When a farm boot wears out, the “career” boot gets moved to farm use and new ones bought for the “career” job.

Edited by Tbone95 - 14 Dec 2020 at 6:14pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:26pm
I wore Red Wings for about 30 years... Still have mine since i "retired".. dont wear them as much any more... smaller work shoes.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:27pm
I purchased a pair of Keen "tennis type" shoes  a year and a half ago, the RH shoe lace let go of the "outer" skin a week ago

were they built in CHINA or TAIWAN ?  Wink
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:37pm
The SHOES or the LACES ??? WTF Man?? Show me ONE USA made piece of footwear !!!!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

Yep, 35 for me.

Those must be some stinky boots!!LOLLOL

I got a pair of Wolverines.  Been good and are comfortable except one has a lump just behind the little toe that starts to get a nuisance.  When I take it off and feel inside I don't feel anything so I don't know what the problem is.  I just bought a new pair of snow boots, don't know the brand, but it's the first pair of boots ever that keep my feet warm sitting in the deer blind.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:48pm
WE HAVE A BINGO !!!

Edited by steve(ill) - 14 Dec 2020 at 6:50pm
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:55pm
What does "primarily" mean in your opinion? Like I said, I'll NEVER have RW's on my feet again. BTW, the KEEN shoestring is still "useable", just unhandy, RW,s probably not so much Wink .
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 7:00pm
SERIOUS ??? 60% of their boots are MADE IN THE USA.. with USA MATERIALS.... not your CHINK stuff.

Do you wear you tennis while driving your TOYOTA ?

Edited by steve(ill) - 14 Dec 2020 at 7:01pm
Red Bank View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Red Bank Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 8:26pm
This is from my Keen boots. If I am not mistaken aren’t there some foreign made Red Wings available at Rural King?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 8:07am
Yes, i think  20 different models of KEEN boots are "assembled" in the USA with foreign parts... They make 350 kinds of shoes.. The other 330 models are all foreign... 6% USA.

Red Wing makes 60% of their boots in the USA, with USA parts... The other 40% are imports.
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 8:20am
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

The SHOES or the LACES ??? WTF Man?? Show me ONE USA made piece of footwear !!!!

Well, since you asked:

Danner
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 8:27am
Red Wing does their own leather tanning locally . It's a large operation and between the shoe manufacturing and tanning operations is a large employer here in MN 
 Friend hauled hides for a few months and said unbelievable the number of hides they can get in a 53' trailer . 
 cousin worked at shoe mfg many years - large employer for people in Red Wing and neighboring WI areas .

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Dec 2020 at 2:19pm
I wore Red Wings till I retired and went to work at Lowes then changed to tennis shoes. I have recently started wearing Defy Gravity and really like the way the feel and they have a heel that makes you feel like you have a shoe on instead of walking flat
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 7:19am
Not only do I wear Red Wings but I drive 70+ miles to get them at Kleinschmidt’s in Higginsville, MO. If you don’t know what particular shoe you want you you have to tell them your size and they will take you to that section, they have over 30,000 pairs of boots and over 200 brands, you’ll never find them on your own. Afterwards they keep a record of your brand, size and model number, (used to be in a recipe box, now on computer). Now I call them, tell them who I am and that I need a pair of boots, they check inventory and either set them back or call me when they’re in.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 8:34am

I like your tag Wendell... words to live by... been doing that forever !

Edited by steve(ill) - 16 Dec 2020 at 8:34am
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 9:35am
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

Not only do I wear Red Wings but I drive 70+ miles to get them at Kleinschmidt’s in Higginsville, MO. If you don’t know what particular shoe you want you you have to tell them your size and they will take you to that section, they have over 30,000 pairs of boots and over 200 brands, you’ll never find them on your own. Afterwards they keep a record of your brand, size and model number, (used to be in a recipe box, now on computer). Now I call them, tell them who I am and that I need a pair of boots, they check inventory and either set them back or call me when they’re in.

Sooo…..they didn't make you so mad 28 years ago they'll never be on your feet again?
NEVER green View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NEVER green Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:01am
  Im not to keen on what  brand work boot is the best, but thanks Tbone for the smileWink
2-8050 1-7080 6080 D-19 modelE & A 7040   R50       
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Dec 2020 at 10:30am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I like your tag Wendell... words to live by... been doing that forever !

That line came from a movie, I think it was Robert Conrad, it just stuck with me. One year on Christmas Eve, 6:00pm, I was on top of a Godfathers Pizza restaurant, 20 below zero, working on the only heating unit they had, been without all day and indoor temp was freezing and they had a bad blower bearing. Boss told me I had to get the heat on, no way to get parts from anywhere. Shaft was 1”, I had a short piece of 1”PVC, i cut a piece to fit the bearing housing, I added a bunch of grease, cut a few more pieces , split them to build up the mass but didn’t have enough to fill the housing. Cut the end off a wooden handle broom, made wedges and got it running through Christmas. And that’s why they paid me the big bucks.   
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic