This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newer Vehicle LED Headlight ?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newer Vehicle LED Headlight ?
    Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 5:53pm
Are/is there a way for a driver to dim the headlights on their vehicle with LED lamps, or are they strictly on/off ? 
Sponsored Links

HaroldOmaha View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HaroldOmaha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 6:40pm
On my 2018 - F-150 They operate just like the old ones. except they have an automatic dimmer when someone approaches.

FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 6:48pm
Thanks Harold, just seems like these newer lights keep getting brighter and brighter for oncoming traffic Confused.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:04pm
People can override the dimmer... FORD has an updated software program for that.

Safety compliance recall for select 2018-20 Ford F-150 vehicles with LED headlamps
Ford is issuing a safety compliance recall for select 2018-20 Ford F-150 vehicles with LED headlamps. When the daytime running lamps on affected vehicles are illuminated and the master lighting switch is manually rotated from the autolamp position to the headlamp-on (low-beam) position, the daytime running lamps remain activated instead of dimming to parking lamp intensity as required by federal motor vehicle safety standards.

This may reduce the visibility of other drivers, increasing the risk of a crash. What has been determined is that the daytime running lights and the regular headlights are staying on at full strength. As a result, the lights are much brighter than they are supposed to be and potentially blinding some oncoming drivers

Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:17pm
Thanks for the reply Steve. I have no idea of what manufacturer(s) is oncoming at night, but I did get out and inquire to a following motorist about his blinding/misaligned headlights (aftermarket) on a Jeep Wrangler in broad daylight Confused.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:25pm
You can tell a Ford F250 anywhere, they should have to put smoke lens on them or tone them back about half. I don’t have anything against Ford but the danged headlight setup on the 250 should be outlawed.
Maximum use of available resources!
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:58pm
used to be the old VW bugs had the brightest head lights on dim. they was the old style head lamps. now lots of vehicles have brighter ones, the blue's, they halogen, many other types. my 1981 Caddy had those auto-dimming headlights, every time we drove past any reflective sign, the headlights would dim down. the signs/markers would reflect back to the sensor. driving down the road, looked like we was an emergency vehicle with high/low blinking all the time. never did find the sensor on it to try and re-adjust it.
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:07pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

Thanks Harold, just seems like these newer lights keep getting brighter and brighter for oncoming traffic Confused.
Problem is: The nut behind the wheel keeps getting dumber and doesn't give a $hit about anyone else on the road and doesn't have a clue of what a DIMMER switch is for. And YES the Ford Trucks are the absolute worst offenders. FORD= Fricking Old Retarded Driver
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 4:39am
**high fives Paul**
Dave H View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:30am
Paul, glad you came up with a diagnosis on me "FORD'"

If ford is that bad, how come they did not need a bail out like Chrysler and guvment motors?  Confused
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:54am
How Come ?

Less Engineering - Less Testing = Less Cost

- and then More Recalls
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 8:08am
My brother's 55 Chevy B210 wagon had factory 'autodim' headlights...
so....nothing new guys.....
As for 'can you dim LED headlights' ? Sure,cost is maybe 10 Canucks for a small PCB/controller.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 8:51am
I will stick with my F150... have had to pull too many Chubys out of the ditch and left parked by the side of the road.... I want a real truck.

The NHTSA reports nine crashes and two injuries related to the issue.

Braking is an essential function for the safe operation of a motor vehicle. Cars need to go, and they need to stop, which is why General Motors will recall nearly 3.5 million trucks and SUVs because of a possible issue with a vacuum pump that could make braking more difficult, according to Reuters. The recall affects 3.46 million 2015-2017 Cadillac Escalade, 2014-2018 Chevy Silverado, 2015-2018 Chevy Suburban, 2015-2018 Chevy Tahoe, 2014-2018 GMC Sierra, and 2015-2018 GMC Yukon vehicles. 

Edited by steve(ill) - 01 Dec 2020 at 8:55am
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 10:36am
Have a 1969 C 10 . Whenever I'm out before daylight I just leave the high beams on . No other drivers seem to notice . Thanks
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 11:20am
Here in Ontario, 'daytime running lights' are ONLY required to be on during the 'safety' of the vehicle. After that you can LEGALLY pull the fuse and kill the DRLs !!!
I kinda wondered WHY so many 'new' cars didn't have them on, looked at the law,....
so much for 'safety first'....... sigh.

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
festus51 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote festus51 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 3:45pm
Paul B  you are right on.  Also dumb drivers on gravel roads going 50-60 MPH   I slow them down with my semi.
We the unwilling Led by the unqualified Doing the impossible for the Ungrateful
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:06pm
When I'm driving the car I notice all the PU are sitting higher which makes their headlights seem brighter.  The gub or someone needs to require they dim down the LEDs.  They are just too much brighter than any other type of lights.  I'm surprised that there ain't a law on the books regulating how bright headlights can be.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 5:23pm
Originally posted by Dave H Dave H wrote:

Paul, glad you came up with a diagnosis on me "FORD'"

If ford is that bad, how come they did not need a bail out like Chrysler and guvment motors?  Confused

Ford started reorganization before the crash.  I guess they knew what was coming.  I have a friend that has a sister who is in a way upper management position at Ford.  They did a lot of changing and slowing production so they would not have problems. 

It still doesn't say much for the terrible engineering at Ford!  As far as I know Ford is the only company the makes a truck that you have to raise the cab to change the spark plugs.  The only company that blows spark plugs outta the head.  There is a big list of Ford engineering failures, and they just keep on doing it.  And people just keep on buying them, makes you sorta wonder?

On some of their Ranger PU's you have to pull the dash to change a heater core.

A friend had his Ranger in my garage for the clutch.  He had to take the front tires off and set the front end on the floor.  Then jack the rear end up as high as the jack would lift it to bleed the clutch master cylinder.  Another engineering marvel!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by JW in MO JW in MO wrote:

You can tell a Ford F250 anywhere, they should have to put smoke lens on them or tone them back about half. I don’t have anything against Ford but the danged headlight setup on the 250 should be outlawed.
IMO, the lights on them "might" be the proper brightness as a true truck, it's when they hook up a tandem trailer loaded with 3 Z-turns, 4 push mowers, 5 weed eaters, 5 gas leaf blowers and all of the fuel cans to run them and the rear bumper is 8" off the ground and the steer tires are Skimming the pavementCryCry, those light beams have to go somewhere I guess Confused .
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 7:25pm
Back in the 60s and 70s it was easy to spot a new Ford coming at you.  The guy on the line that adjusted the headlights must have been a Coon hunter, 1 head light on a new Ford was always pointed up in the trees LOL
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2020 at 8:14pm
It still doesn't say much for the terrible engineering at Ford!  As far as I know Ford is the only company the makes a truck that you have to raise the cab to change the spark plugs.  The only company that blows spark plugs outta the head.  There is a big list of Ford engineering failures, and they just keep on doing it.  And people just keep on buying them, makes you sorta wonder?

All manufacturers have their design problems and work problems. Chubys are no different. I have had FORDS for 40 years and never had a problem changing spark plugs.  Never lifted a cab.. Two piece plugs were a problem with breaking for a couple years. They made a kit to get them out if they broke. That was 14 years ago.  Blowing out a plug was 20 years ago... I had a Chuby 40 years ago that the cam shaft wore off the lobes at 60K miles.. Head gasket failed at 30K miles in another. Axle shaft broke in one... Gave up on Chubys after that.  NEVER AGAIN.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 8:07am
I only brought up the F250 because of the unique headlight design, running down the road they have a mass of lights on each side of the grill from bumper to hood and very bright.  Don't know that I've ever seen one with the brights on and can't imagine the need to ever use them.  I think the issue I have is how bright the running lights are.  The running lights stay on full time even if the headlights are on and I have to look away whenever meeting one.
The other side of the equation is people driving in low visibility situations with no headlights which could be easily solved if the automaker would only allow the dash light to work with headlamps and not running lamps.
Maximum use of available resources!
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2020 at 5:37pm
You aren't far off in your assessment of the newer Super Duty lighting Wink!! Why they need DTRL's so close to the actual headlights (and most of the guys have BOTH on) is beyond me Cry. Add to that the jack holes with the telescoping mirrors that keep them extended ALL the way out without pulling a trailer AngryAngry.
AC8010 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC8010 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2020 at 7:05pm
I agree, they are crazy bright
AlmaBush View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmaBush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:08pm
It depends on the car you own. You can add such led lights to your car by yourself. You just have to be careful and install the system in an authorized car service center. At least that is what I did when I needed some new led lights for my car. I bought it on https://www.amazon.com/car-lights-car-led-lights/dp/B09L86JRRM, and I paid for it less than twenty dollars. If you are interested, you can find more information on the internet. I am sure you won't be disappointed about it.

Edited by AlmaBush - 27 May 2022 at 7:01am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 6:33pm
Within a mere few years there will be NO Bulb type headlamps available, ONLY LED, that includes those Classic Car lamps that make the car's value so high will end up either burnt out and still on place or LED replaced.  Round Rectangle singles or doubles are ALL being phased to LED, the body contour conformal style of Late 80s thru 2000s with a replaceable Halogen Lamp will be replaced with a LED.  That per the Auto Parts guys I deal with.

IF you have a Collectable Car you take to shows that has 6014 Single or H4 5.75" quad lamps best be loading up and hoarding.  Same for 1157, 1156, 194 and the other Incandescent lamps we all used forever.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2022 at 10:12pm
Originally posted by FREEDGUY FREEDGUY wrote:

You aren't far off in your assessment of the newer Super Duty lighting Wink!! Why they need DTRL's so close to the actual headlights (and most of the guys have BOTH on) is beyond me Cry. Add to that the jack holes with the telescoping mirrors that keep them extended ALL the way out without pulling a trailer AngryAngry
OK, I give up, why is one a 'jackhole" because he is running with his mirrors extended and no tow? How in the world would that inconvenience you?
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:00am
Lou he's currently unavailable for comment.
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Tbone95 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tbone95 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:08am
There's enough reason to pick on gassy, without getting re-fired up over a 1 1/2 year old post a spammer brought to the forefront.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2022 at 9:49am
Did he get banned FOREVER, or just mad and staying away ?  How long has it been ? Clap
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic