This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

185 hard start

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 185 hard start
    Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:13pm
Hi everyone.
The 185 we picked up this summer don't seem to start without just a tiny whiff of starting fluid.
When we were looking at it and trying to get it going then the 98 year old guy kept insisting on taking the little plug out of intake manifold and spraying starting fluid in there. It had been sitting for awhile, not clear on how long. We figurd once we got it home and changed filters and stuff and run it some. It runs really good once you get it started. What should we look into you think.
Thanks

Edited by Mikez - 28 Nov 2020 at 9:14pm
Sponsored Links

DSeries4 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DSeries4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:19pm
Use the manifold heater instead, it's much kinder to the engine than ether.  Below 50 degrees they are not too eager to start. 
'49 G, '54 WD45, '55 CA, '56 WD45D, '57 WD45, '58 D14, '59 D14, '60 D14, '61 D15D, '66 D15II, '66 D21II, '67 D17IV, '67 D17IVD, '67 190XTD, '73 620, '76 185, '77 175, '84 8030, '85 6080
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 9:59pm
will it smoke when you try to start it? What color smoke do you get? Does it spin over fast? Could be a lot of things. Bad pump, timing , low compression , bad starter, or other problems .        MACK
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 11:58pm
My son's 185 doesn't start so good either when it gets down to about 40 or colder. Has a block heater, so plugged in, it starts right up. Darrel
Gary(VA) View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary(VA) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 5:00am
My 185 has rebuilt pump and injectors and just around 4000 hrs. I plug in the block heater once it gets in the 40's to cut down on how long it has to crank.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 7:33am
Start with TWO fresh batteries of 900 or more CCA's each and clean healthy battery cables of OEM size or larger, not some small diameter after-market stuff.  Then, if not satisfied, have the starter rebuilt or replaced with new. Lucas brand starters are famously known for poor/half-speed cranking. Delco starters usually better. Fast cranking speed is imperative to a diesel engine starting well.  Use of the intake manifold heater (if it has one) for up to 60 seconds makes starting much easier and may be all you need to do. Beyond these things, you are now delving into the area of spending lots of $$$$$$$ to try and fix something that YOU perceive as a problem.  You could have four of the 185's that are identical and there will always be one that starts better or worse than the other three. Diesel engines can kind of be like that.  You'll be very disappointed if you spend thousands of dollars rebuilding the injection pump and injectors to wind up with the SAME thing. Then, you'll spend thousands more in new pistons/sleeves and valves and valve seats and will it then be the way you think it should be ??? If it runs well and doesn't use oil, figure out where to draw the line looking for the needle in the haystack (there might not be one at all).
injpumpEd View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote injpumpEd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 7:56am
As Dr said above, cranking speed is everything on a diesel! There is a chance the injection pump is the cause though, the 180/185 were set to such a low fuel injection quantity, that at the slow speed of cranking it's just not enough to get them going, and a leaking delivery valve stop can also be the issue. When I rebuild a 180/185 pump I make some changes to the settings to help with this. If it is not smoking while cranking but not firing up, the tiny bit of ether spins it just enough faster to make the pump deliver more fuel, then it's likely an injection pump issue. If it smokes like crazy, but just cranks and cranks but no fire, then it's low cranking compression, either due to too slow a cranking speed, or an engine that is simply worn out. Usually a worn out engine will stumble, cough and snort before picking up all 6 cylinders. The worn pump issue it will pop right to life with the tiny ether sniff. confused yet? lol!
210 "too hot to farm" puller, part of the "insane pumpkin posse". Owner of Guenther Heritage Diesel, specializing in fuel injection systems on heritage era tractors. stock rebuilds to all out pullers!
Joe(TX) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joe(TX) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:24am
I agree with what DrAllis an Ed say.
The first thing I check is the battery cables. I have seen many with cheap clamp on ends. You need at least #2 cables and clean connections. If it does not spin over good with good batteries, check the starter.
My 190XT was a slow starter until I rebuilt the injector pump. I guess after 30 years I had owned it, it wore out. Starts easy now in cold weather using the intake heater.
Start with the easier items first.
1970 190XT, 1973 200, 1962 D-19 Diesel, 1979 7010, 1957 WD45, 1950 WD, 1961 D17, Speed Patrol, D14, All crop 66 big bin, 180 diesel, 1970 170 diesel, FP80 forklift. Gleaner A
Ky.Allis View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ky.Allis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:41am
Bought a new 185 in 1972 ($7500.00) and it never started good even when new. Under 45 deg. and and you plug it up or use manifold heater(which drains batteries). After several yrs. of use and a pump rebuild it was no better. As Dr.Allis says some start good and some don't. In "74" bought a new 200 and just the opposite. The best starting tractor I've ever been around hands down. The 185 had Delco starter and the 200 has Lucas starter. I still have the 200 and after 46 years and 1 starter rebuild and 2 pump rebuilds it still starts great. Personally I think the Lucas starter spins faster than Delco.
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 9:53am
90 degrees my 185 will fire right up 40 degrees not so good.Heat it up with the manifold heater a couple times it'll eventually start.Better just to plug it in if I can or give it a tiny shot of starting fluid  and it'll fire right up. Once started it runs fine no big deal to me.
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 11:57am
You all know this but I'll add,if using ether,get it rolling over first and then only minimal sniffs to get fire.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 3:09pm
Here's two more cents worth, probably not worth that much. Dad's 6080 is a hard starter. If it's below 60 I just plug it in for awhile. There is no shame in this. I just do something for a half hour or so then start and proceed. The 185 starts better but not good in cool weather. Plug it in if need be too. I use the 6080 way more in cold times of the year, 185 kind of lives the life of Riley!
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 7:15pm
Thanks for all the info guys. Think it was warm enough, was summer and in heated garage this last time. And dad says it was black smoke. Had to take it out of the shop, so we won't be working on it for a bit. I'll get two batteries for it and new cables. What size wire should I get. Thanks again

Edited by Mikez - 29 Nov 2020 at 7:20pm
MACK View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MACK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 8:13pm
Black smoke sounds like good pump and good compression , so sounds like cranking speed is slow.
KY.allis, I agree the Lucas will spin one faster than Delco if it is good, but only one in ten is good.         MACK

LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 8:29pm
When you buy your batteries check at what temp. the ratings are If they're at 0 degrees good to go. If the rating is at 32 degrees you won't be satisfied. Hard starting, missing when it does start indicates low compression engine, not necessarily a bad engine. Just built that way from the factory. Probably that way because of some gov. regs.                     Leon
Bill Deppe/AC Salvag View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bill Deppe/AC Salvag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 10:03pm
Some years ago I had a 185 with the same symptoms. The tractor was very original and not  having a lot of hours, indicating the engine was original. I questioned a former AC dealer, his explanation was there was a series of engines off production that didn't have the proper compression ratio and the remedy was replacing the piston with the upper ring designed closer to the top of the piston. He stated any rebuilds were with a slightly higher compression.
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2020 at 11:06pm
The late model with the bosch injectors - cranked.  They even sounded different. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
darrel in ND View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote darrel in ND Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 6:03am
Did allis switch from manifold heater to ether injector sometime during 185 production? My son's 185 is one of the later ones, and it has an ether injector, not manifold heater. Darrel
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 6:31am
That's kind of how I remember it, Darrel.  Late models had ether as standard equipment versus the manifold heater on older models.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:33am
Originally posted by MACK MACK wrote:

Black smoke sounds like good pump and good compression , so sounds like cranking speed is slow.
KY.allis, I agree the Lucas will spin one faster than Delco if it is good, but only one in ten is good.         MACK

Took the Lucas starter off the 6080 to the local repair shop. The proprietor was not impressed! Luckily not much wrong with it, still working good.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 30 Nov 2020 at 7:33am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:37am
My 180 is tired, considerable blowby and below 50 hard to start, replaced the block heater and try to keep indoors in winter helps abundantly.  Cannot just run down and connect block heater then try to start, have to plug in night before so entire engine is warm then starts no problem.  Has the Lucas starter on it, may opt to the latest and greatest gear reduction starters they now offer WHEN this one goes south, batteries in mine are less than two years old 1000cca group 31s.
DrAllis View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DrAllis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:38am
180-185-190 and 190XT were all to have pistons that were 16 to 1 compression ratio. When the 200 came out, it had 15 to 1 pistons in it. The pistons were identical to look at EXCEPT above the top ring area, where the 15 to 1's were machined .015" smaller for a total of .030" smaller diameter. This lowered the compression one full point and kept the piston head from swelling up too much and scaring the cylinder liner (like some XT's did). This 15 to 1 piston was then kept thru the 7000-7010 and 7020 engines as well.  I've never heard of incorrect pistons ever being installed in a non-turbo 301, but I suppose it could have happened. Same rings. Same ring location. Same piston except for the upper diameter being machined a little smaller diameter.
captaindana View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote captaindana Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:50am
What a great discussions board you opened up MikeZ my friend!
Blue Skies and Tail Winds
                          Dana
ACjack View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACjack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:57am
During the time that I worked at the Harvey Engine plant in assembly and latter in QA I never heard of any engine being built with the wrong pistons. There was assembly problems now and then but, very few ever got out the door and the one's that did were corrected before the finished product left the final assembly plant.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 10:07am
This sr no is 12764
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 7:47pm
Great discussion, as our 6060 has always been difficult to start below 50 degrees. Wish a ether bottle wasn’t an option ever, should have come standard with a block heater. 30 minutes and she fires right up. My XT, 60 seconds on the preheater and she tries to start right away. Another 30 seconds and she is up and running at 30 degrees outside. Amazing how different engines require different starting procedures. Our Case track loader starts at any temp with no assistance...why is that? Compression difference?
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 8:02pm
About starting cold I had a Zebra 3520 which was a India built Zetor about a 35 HP tractor.
It would fire up on the first revolution of the motor every time no matter what the temperature and it had no starting aid of any kind.
Mikez View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mikez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:31pm
hello.
 I want to get some battery cable. I’m not near the tractor. Could any of you guys give a ruff length of cables. From starter to batteries and grounds please. And what size cable it is. I greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
gleaner1 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gleaner1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:11pm
Have two 185’s (either injector and intake heater versions) and also an L3 with the 301. They all don’t start when cold. Plug them in for 45 minutes and bam they fire right up.
ALLIS CHALMERS "The color is orange"
tbran View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tbran Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 9:31pm
A few points, the allis tractor engines were all scheduled to receive gear reduction starters. I have one of the test units on my 185.  Dennis Gable worked for Marvin prible in Az test center and brought a load of stuff back in a uhaul. Cranking speed is paramount as it increases the heat of combustion.  Fuel atomization is also important- to little  or too much fuel not atomized cools the air charge and will not burn.  Air heaters - I actually run two - one as in the old 190 in the intake tube manifold and one in the bottom.  Remove a heater and ground it and activate it. It takes about 15 -20 seconds to turn it red - max temp. It will remain hot for 30 seconds. All this time it is heating the air. Cycling the plugs will result in air temp still being heated while not running down the batteries. On for about 20 seconds, wait 15 then recycle- on my engine - (which is over fueled with turbo and will not start below 50 )  even in the 20 's about 4 cycles and it starts and runs. (while I am freezing).  IT is so much easier on the engine to plug it in with a block heater. I kept mine on a timer when we fed with it daily. On all our tractors with ether - we restrict the ether flow even more than the nozzles do.   As to 6060-6080 there were 2 different compression pistons used with corresponding inj nozzle sizes as well.  Personally, we have been using the latest 200 -8010 pistons - tremendous difference in cranking.  On some 180 and 185's with the auto advance (the ones with the allen screw stick our the side of the bottom ) the pumps would advance at cranking speed due to fuel transfer pressure or incorrect factory setting or spring set.. anyway we found that installing a timing window or gauge tool and cranking the engine over saw the cam ring turn, thus advancing timing - a real killer to starting. Adjusting the trimmer screw allowed the advance to wait til the engine was just off idle speed.   As stated before, the last 185's with bosch injectors started in the teens when new... cranking speed, compression, timing and fuel break up - it had it all. 
When told "it's not the money,it's the principle", remember, it's always the money..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic