This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Case 480C backhoe

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Case 480C backhoe
    Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 6:44pm
I have a Case 480C backhoe. It sat several years. I had the pump rebuilt. Had one injector line that I had to rod out with small wire. Engines cranks easy and runs. It smokes though. I did not check injectors. Engine starts right up, and no excessive blow by. What could cause the smoke? Thanks Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
Sponsored Links

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2020 at 9:10pm
leaking injectors or timing gives unburned fuel --- black smoke......... burning oil past the rings / valve guides normally give a grey / white smoke......... of course burning water / antifreeze would give a very white smoke.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 1:42pm
I will check it out. Blowed another hyd hose yesterday. Had just installed a new one that was a SOB to replace. Going to do all 4 that go to boom thru the swivel. Hope that is all for a while.
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 7:41pm
We have a Case loader, we have cleaned the tank many times, acid, pressure washer, and it still flakes some rust from time to time. Good running machine until this junk gets in the fuel bowl and starts to starve the pump. It then blows gray smoke. Stop, clean the sediment out of the bowl, and she runs great with no smoke until the tracks rattle some more junk loose in the tank lol. Getting less and less junk from the tank, good machine. Always starts no matter how cold it is outside with no preheat required. Not sure if your backhoe has one, but that’s the issue on our loader.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Nov 2020 at 10:33pm
I drained the fuel tank and cleaned it best I could. New fuel lines and filters. Put pump back on just like it came off. Engines starts really easy. Was supposedly rebuilt not long before it sat. Can't get it to shift gear without grinding. I think it is valve in tranny that stops oil flow. Not sure if it is getting power. Any help appreciated. Tracy
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2020 at 1:21am
Are you running a premium #2 diesel fuel. Cheap fuel will smoke like crazy. I picked up a new fuel customer one time. He had big IHC tractors. I filled his 1000 gallon tank with premium fuel. It was in the spring, everybody was still plowing at the time. He complained that the fuel was no good. The tractors would not open up and smoke. I told him I would fix the problem next time I filled him up. I then filled his tank with plain old #2 fuel. He was happy, those binders smoked like crazy using fuel that was designed for truck stops.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic