This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

To The Landlords ??

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:05pm
I would say that you always have “skin in the game” when renting. This is my opinion since you asked. As a landlord, you want the land to be productive as possible, for multiple reasons; you want the tenant to be happy with his yields and make good profit(this is what makes your land desirable), nice crops do not get overlooked by others(demand for your land in the future), and if there is a nutrient management/crop insurance plan involved, low yields don’t seem to help around here. Now— if you don’t mind watching someone fail, take the check while it’s available.

Edited by allisbred - 29 Oct 2020 at 8:06pm
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 8:04pm
Pride in doing a good job Confused That just isn't how things are done anymore, it's all about time/cost efficiency or at least someone's perception of it.  Have you ever been to a plow day? Today there is nearly two generations of people that have not had to plow. When I was young, if the furrows were not straight and even, or one corn stalk was showing in a 40 acre field, I would hear about the terrible job I'd done on this or that field until next year. Same went for a raggedy job mowing a hayfield, nowadays I see those disc mowers leaving as much as they cut. Very few places even farm in the corners anymore, because it take too much time, it's just faster to make a huge wide turn at full throttle. So they continue the weed problem that can't be controlled.  My grandfathers would be rolling in their grave if they saw what passes for farming in today's world.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

so, silly me, I'm wondering if you (or someone) could go over the field again ?
I know the farmer up the road is OK with us grabbing a few bags of taters the HUGE machinery didn't get !

You're not silly, the weather window is closing too fast for me to get off of work to do just that Cry, dad can't climb the ladder anymore, and that's worse than seeing all of the beans left OuchConfused
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Do you get CASH RENT, or do you have SKIN IN THE GAME ?
Dad cash rents for now but has pride in leaving as little-as-possible grain in the field after harvest Wink. You must be a tenant or a BTO ?? Unlike DT, most of us have a sense of pride WinkWink
AC7060IL View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC7060IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:38pm
Actually 7+mph is doable with a 35’ draper header. But doable equates to ideal conditions - good upright standing soybeans, dry stems(less green stems), corresponding reel speeds, good solid roots to soil(little to no soft soils), good cutter bar sickle, and cooperative weather.

Unharvested/Pushed over plants are unacceptable. So you might ask custom operators if they were pushing speeds due to incoming weather??

Edited by AC7060IL - 29 Oct 2020 at 7:40pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:34pm
so, silly me, I'm wondering if you (or someone) could go over the field again ?
I know the farmer up the road is OK with us grabbing a few bags of taters the HUGE machinery didn't get !
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:27pm
Do you get CASH RENT, or do you have SKIN IN THE GAME ?
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
FREEDGUY View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FREEDGUY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Oct 2020 at 7:24pm
Tonight was the first time I've been out to the farm since the tenant harvested the beans. I was appalled at the amount of standing/bent over bean stalks as far as-the-eye(mine) could see Confused. I mentioned this to dad and he said they came in with a 35' JD draper head/9'ish series Green combine pushing 5-6 mph Shocked. Perhaps that's the "norm" for losses as a renter, but DAMN, where's the pride of doing a good job, and do you guys just shrug your shoulders after glancing at your fields or just cash your check and not even look over the fence/lawn line ??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic