This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Problem

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Problem
    Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:03am
We've got a shed in the back yard that I've got a leg hold trap at to catch animals that go under the shed. I've caught wood chucks, Possums, and now have a skunk.
How do get rid of him without having him stink up the place?
I know that I can shoot him from far enough away that he won't get me but he will stink up the area.

Thanks,
Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
Sponsored Links

farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:17am
Put a blanket or towel over the trap so you can remove the trap away from the shed and then you can deal with the stinky guy.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:26am
The trap in anchored down, I will have to get within about a foot of the skunk to get it loose.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 10:43am
Put the cover on the trap first. They wont spray if they are trapped like that.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
im4racin View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote im4racin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 12:20pm
That only works in a live trap cage. A leg hold trap he will be exposed so the cover will just go flying off. A good 22 shot to the head should keep him from spraying.
TDF View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TDF Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 1:09pm
I've only been about 50% on head shots on skunks and them not spraying due to muscles contracting. I'd say shoot him low in the brain from the back near where the spine connects and hope for the best. Stay far enough away you dont get sprayed.

TDF
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 1:14pm
Got one low on the back of the head once.  The head went down, the tail went up, and the spray came out.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 1:23pm
I won't go into a lot of detail but twice now I've had ahold of them and couldn't let go. Both times they sprayed,but both times it was the last thing they ever did.
caledonian View Drop Down
Silver Level Access
Silver Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote caledonian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 5:51pm
Shoot him and deal with the stink. It'll go away. In time.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 5:54pm
dig a deep 'skunk sized' hole
kill skunk
put in hole
cover him up
place cross,say a few kind words,
carry on.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 8:14pm
A skunk won't spray you if he can't see you, I don't think they like the smell either.  I would rig a tarp supported at the top on a long stick or pole.  Walk towards and cover him with the tarp but never expose yourself.  Once he's under the tarp, back your truck up and use a downspout to pipe the exhaust under the tarp, go enjoy the beverage of your choice, maybe two, he should be napping real sound when you return and no smell.
Maximum use of available resources!
SteveM C/IL View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveM C/IL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 8:46pm
High powered rifle and vaporize head?
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 8:51pm
I vote with SteveM
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 11:21pm
put a can of moist cat food in an area away from the shed, keep your pets away from it, when the striped kitty goes for that food nail it with your gun. or like said above cover the cat food with a tarp and have an open tunnel under it to the food. can't spray if the tail can't go up.
DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2020 at 11:37pm
I think a few people missed the detail:
Skunk is caught in leg trap, which is anchored under the shed.

The inhumane circumstance, is that he's trapped, and will die slowly of starvation and thirst.

Getting a clean shot through his spine at C1/C2 will be difficult, regardless of what you use.

Enclosing the base of the shed somehow (hay bales and tarps) without skunk seeing you is probably the most doable approach, and then carbon monoxide would be most gentle.

Problem remains, skunks will spray even when dead, as muscles contract in rigor.

What's chances you can snag onto the trap's anchor stake with a cable or chain with a long hook, then use a long, long, long rope, pull it out, and drag the trap and skunk out into the timber, take a right turn around the far side of a tree trunk, and head off in that direction far enough so you won't be seen, and you'd stay out of 'range'?

Once there, an optically-enhanced projectile from a considerable distance, spray or not, would be quick...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:27am
Or, Snag the the trap, skink and all, have  a vat of water(like a 55 gallon drum) close enough to take snagged trap and skunk, and drop into the water.  water will do him in, as they don't swim too well, if the trap is heavy enough...

Personally I'd prolly set up a good rifle rest, and find the optimum point, to aim from...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:31am
I can tell you first hand, the vaporization idea looks good on paper,, it doesn't work.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 7:19am
I didn’t realize he had gotten under the shed but the tarp, or large trash bag will do. Pipe the exhaust in the hole, it will humanely dispose of him and he won’t spray when he dies. I have had numerous skunks take up residence under my front porch, the air conditioner and shed, believe me I know what works and what don’t. It’s true, a skunk has to raise his tail to spray but he also becomes a contortionist to do so. Just before he sprays he will have both ends pointed at you and the tail will will bush out real wide. All of that previous information was not gathered by reading a book, there were some not so pleasant days around here.
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:22am
Well I tried something.
Starting fluid is called ether and ether is used to put you to sleep. So I slipped up on him, holding a large towel in front of me, and sprayed him with some of that, didn't work.
He went under the shed and faced out, so I shot him in the head with my .22. 
The place stinks a little.

Dusty

Edited by Dusty MI - 26 Oct 2020 at 11:23am
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:45am
As long as we're all bearing our souls to proper trapped skunk releasing? I'll share my other funnier one, skunk got in the garage,he was under a piece of furniture trying to dig through the drywall, I couldn't have that,killer instinct took over,I grabbed the heavy extending pole for scrubbing semi stacks.. and yup you got it I ran him through with the brush tread end.. in the garage no less. Our daughter and SIL were just pulling down the driveway,, daughter is used to my ways,, our SIL is a great guy but city through and through, he thinks we still have occasional Osage raids.. needless to say we all laugh about it now but I'll tell you what the look on my wife and daughters face were priceless.. SIL??? He still keeps one eye on me.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 11:52am

Mmmmmm,,,, Yeah, Tom,,,sometimes them city slickers just do not understand what them country boys gots to do to get things done,,,,,WinkWink They prolly think you are a "meannie" cause you put the trap out there to start with,,,,,LOL
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 12:03pm
That's the beauty of it. The garage skunk and the trapped skunk were two different times. I guess I'm just a slow learner,, but the wife says there's NEVER a dull moment around here.
JW in MO View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JW in MO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:28pm
My education with skunks started at an early age but for legal reasons I'll say I was 21.  After dark and driving back to my hometown with a buddy, previously  having partaken in several Clydesdale's, the headlights caught a skunk chasing it's tail in the middle of the road.  I locked up the brakes and a voice said, "lets catch it."  May have been my voice but I think it was the Clydesdale's.  Against my buddy's loud and vigorous objections, long story short, I puked 3 times getting him in a bag, we drove to a high school girls softball game with him in the bag hanging on the rear bumper.  Game got called just before we got kicked out of the complex.
TomC View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TomC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 5:37pm
That is hysterical! Ahhhh,, the power of brewskis.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 6:15pm
Originally posted by Dusty MI Dusty MI wrote:

Well I tried something.
Starting fluid is called ether and ether is used to put you to sleep. So I slipped up on him, holding a large towel in front of me, and sprayed him with some of that, didn't work.
He went under the shed and faced out, so I shot him in the head with my .22. 
The place stinks a little.

Dusty

Important thing is, you're the WINNER!Wink

[TUBE]rvyHiFdacQE[/TUBE]

As far as skunk stories go, a long lost friend from college, I usedta work for or with, occasionally, told one about a legendary indian drywall hanger, would do 7 days of work, in about 3 or 4, get his check, then binge drink it up, for the remainder of the week.  Now, back in those days they had these things known as drive-up liquor stores, and the one down the street, in Berwyn heights, was the subject.  They cut him off, told him to go home and sleep it off, and man that was one P.O'ed 7' tall indian!  Anyway, having a knowledge of all things natural, he knew that if a skunk is lifted by his tail, off the ground, quickly, and sneakily enough, he won't spray, cause he can't set and brace his back feet! (I being a prudent man, with nothing against skunks of a 4 legged variety have never tested this maxim...Wink)  Anyway, the large PO'ed indian, then walks up to the drive through window, after dark, raps on it, they open it, he flings in said skunk, and the place is closed for cleaning, for the next coupla days...  I'll let all draw their own moral to the story..WinkWink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic