This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

KW Project

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Aug 2022 at 6:49am
Busy early last two days, final sand of epoxy primer, and wash off wipe down then this morning sprayed epoxy sealant coat, pulled plastic from primer work.  Have several drips from bad tip in gun that will not always seat and some from me dripping sweat on flat areas that will have to touch up sand and blend in primer edge at w/s sides of cowl but getting there.

Edited by DMiller - 01 Aug 2022 at 6:50am
Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2022 at 10:06am
Primer repairs completed, tip on gun was bad and have fixed that.

Been scuffing the fresh areas since epoxy base has hardened and dressing up the painted areas readying to shoot the real color to the machine. Weather has been all too hot and or humid to do that where Mon/Tues/or Wed will be as close as can get for awhile.

Will be spraying early of a morning when below 70-75 and humidity down working to be completed before 9am and heat of day sharply rising.
Between the hardener and hot flash reducer need to be done spraying color by 80-85 degrees. Clear has to be on within a few hours of color final spray.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 4:11am
 Yeah, Dave,,,back when I was doing that sort of stuff,,,thats what we had to do,,is get to shop EARLY on painting days like as in 4-5 Am to beat the humidity,,,They didn't have the BC-CC in them days but the Imron and others didn't like the hi humidity either,,,!  What's gonna be your final color,,??
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 4:23am
Going back with the original Blue Metallic but adding Phantom Gray Metallic on the fender areas of hood
Once rebuild rear fenders they too will be that gray.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Aug 2022 at 12:36pm
Weather Liars did it again, predicted M,T,W to be reasonable all last of last week, then last night ALL changed, Rains setting back in so after it today, last of scuffing done, water washed followed with a reducer wipe down for loose paint dust.  Last up, around 3:30/4 in the morning will tack cloth the truck and lay paint.

Have Doc appt week from Monday, secondary visit to get hearing aids cleaned(earpiece Filters) and Friday the 19th going to retrieve drive tires in Oklahoma., Rains predicted all the in between days so not a alternative.

Edited by DMiller - 06 Aug 2022 at 12:37pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2022 at 1:39pm
Update, Weather Liars missed by 24 hrs, Rained last night and into early morning, 90+% humidity this morning with dew dripping off my shop sides and gutters outer surfaces.  Threw in the towel until at EARLIEST Wednesday.  NOT in the mood to waste $2200+ in paints to have a orange peeled mess.

Edited by DMiller - 07 Aug 2022 at 1:40pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2022 at 7:26pm
Got paint to it, Paint was so so as to dealing with, mask off and paint of front fenders went well.  HOWEVER, the Clear was a MESS.  Same batch mixed and stirred as did paint, first batch did well, next four would spray heavily WET at first then go hard dry and repeat the Wet crap.  After several hours I went back in shop, sags are everywhere, a few heavy runs.  So will be enjoying 600 and 1000 or 1200gr sand then Buffing this Blue Elephant.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 4:54am
What it looked like just prior to clear

desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 12:28pm
  Hey Dave,,,that looks Great,,,looks like you got good flow out, so the cut & Buff should go great,,,,!! Are you going to do that part?  I do believe that unless you got lots of experience with the cut & Buff,,I would let an experienced person finish it off,,,that way,,,you won't be getting mad at yourself for cutting thru,,,,WinkWink
 Like the color combination,,,!!!Clap
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 2:49pm
This was as I got the masking off it

So far have cut the nasty drip ends away and 600 most of the runs.  Have some buffer supplies coming in tomorrow so will be at this all weekend.
I get is buffed then on to hardware re-install, and swap the front Wheels/tires.

Edited by DMiller - 11 Aug 2022 at 2:52pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Aug 2022 at 6:24pm
Looks GREAT from here !!  Thumbs Up
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 3:04pm
 Yes sure does look nice from picture
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2022 at 4:18pm
Looks are deceiving, ended up as was working to buff out the runs and sags with stripping L Fender as orange peel was so excessive.  Was same cup of paint as used on R fender and did fine, same cup of Clear as well as used on R fender but all went to crap. 

Be masking off that Corner AGAIN, to repaint and re-clear that part of the hood.

Was so angry of it went out and pulled weeds as dog waddled around yard for thirty minutes.

Edited by DMiller - 12 Aug 2022 at 4:18pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 1:36pm
  That was a good way to let off steam
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2022 at 2:42pm
So was sanding out all the rough stuff.  That done truck is re-cocooned and ready to spray the Gray.  Once that is cured from second coat, then move mask plastic to hood transition line to top, wipe off hood side to make sure no dust and re-clear that entire side.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 11:21am
At least this turned out well

steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2022 at 9:27pm
YEP... that "glow in the dark" is always nice !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2022 at 2:34pm
 Yes, it looks good
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2022 at 2:21pm
Well another setback
Not issue sand and buff but that a bubble, likely my own sweat popped on R headlamp eyebrow, about half size of little finger nail. So now to dress that out, repaint a section of that eyebrow and re clear it, more redo work.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2022 at 11:29am
Picked up the Free Tires in OK last weekend, payment was assisting the construct of a Bathroom facility inside a workshop and some light wiring work at his home.  8 Drive tires, close to 40% remaining tread, swapped the junkers out on the truck yesterday to the replacements and set the new steer tires on.  Now need to complete the Sand and Buff, install all the removed pieces, paint the rear frame area and buff out what will end up as the outer rear rims to install the remaining four.  All 6 junk tires are GONE, cleaning up mess as I go currently while did perform a little more cut and buff this morning while cool out.

Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 2:45pm
Looking damn nice!!Thumbs Up

You sure it was  sweat, I find it hard to believe someone could sweat in MO in the middle of August. Ermm LOL
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 5:33pm
Definitely Possible, has not dropped below 70% Humidity as usual, with highs during the day of mid 80s and growing humidity around the 10-11 am slot.  Sweat like I am shoveling coal to a boiler.  Feels Like temps in mid 90s.
Tracy Martin TN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tracy Martin TN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2022 at 7:37pm
Looks real nice. I admire you going back and fixing what you disapprove of. Shows good raising to me! Do it right, or don't do it at all! Tracy
No greater gift than healthy grandkids!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Sep 2022 at 5:01am
Thanks Tracy, to me will not ever look ‘right’ but will be decent for a amateur with no booth and limited aged skills with paint equipment. Modern paints are very fickle. Mechanically is sound where will be challenged by sitting issues I am fully aware.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2022 at 7:09pm
As I get the Cut and Buff as I can stand it I did get these photos.  The purple is from the Pearl in the Metallic Paint

And these, the 40% rubber 3 year old tires I got for Free.

Outers only installed until can get frame paint on.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 11:56am
Coming along very nicely and the tires are hard to beat
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 2:44pm
Matched set, date code 2019, NO repairs on any of them and around 40% tread, I was good to go when got that offer!!!  FREE just had to help a Bud in OK  build out a Shop Rest Room facility, do some electrical work.  No good for Snow or ice, but I am NOT gonna be joy riding in it then either!!

Gonna have to strip that right fender, was doing reviews on spot repairs to the Delfleet paint, NOT Fun, cheaper and easier to repaint as the Blending Clear is a Specialty item, and COSTLY so not going there.  Have paint left over so AM going there.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 3:16pm
There was a K900 on F'book marketplace. Day cab, wet line AND  a winch. 350 and a 13 speed. Needed pump work $10000.

Edited by exSW - 15 Sep 2022 at 3:17pm
Learning AC...slowly
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 4:16pm
Depends on model year, if a mid 80’s would have BCII Cummins, most dealers no longer have a pump facility sending them to Corporate or independent shops that can still work them. W900a is getting as bad for parts where have to mod up for much of the interior space, os why I took on this L which is also classified as a B Longhood. It is coming on to 20 years old where many smaller subcomponents have obsoleted.
Eaton Fuller is no longer providing parts for the 95xx series transmissions, Rockwell is now Meritor and have discontinued support on SQ series HD SD HP and SQ100. Eaton has abandoned much of everything older than 1985.

Kenworth still makes or has access to major cab and frame components but a few suspensions no longer supported.
10k might be a loss in general.
exSW View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote exSW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Sep 2022 at 6:00pm
Originally posted by DMiller DMiller wrote:

Depends on model year, if a mid 80’s would have BCII Cummins, most dealers no longer have a pump facility sending them to Corporate or independent shops that can still work them. W900a is getting as bad for parts where have to mod up for much of the interior space, os why I took on this L which is also classified as a B Longhood. It is coming on to 20 years old where many smaller subcomponents have obsoleted.
Eaton Fuller is no longer providing parts for the 95xx series transmissions, Rockwell is now Meritor and have discontinued support on SQ series HD SD HP and SQ100. Eaton has abandoned much of everything older than 1985.

Kenworth still makes or has access to major cab and frame components but a few suspensions no longer supported.
10k might be a loss in general.

It was a '74. Who knows what'sbeen changed in 48 years.
Learning AC...slowly
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 17181920>
  Share Topic