This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

HD5G

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD5G
    Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 6:44am
I'm looking at a -G that has been setting since Jan. the fuel tank and hood and floor pan are missing, as is the cover for the left clutch housing. also, the boot on the gearshift. How much damage could have been done by leaving the shift linkage and clutch assembly exposed?
The tracks, trucks etc are really nice on this one. Even has the cast weight on the back, blade instead of a bucket. the owner has a short video of it being driven to where it is at now. no explanation as to why the pieces are missing. He swears it starts and runs and steers.
asking $1000. I am trying to work owners schedule and mine to go start and run it. I have already done a visual inspection, but neither of us had time that day to mess with it.
I am still confident of this;
I will see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.
Wait for the Lord;
be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord. Ps 27
Sponsored Links

CAL(KS) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CAL(KS) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 8:18am
could have some rust in the flywheel/clutch but wont affect the linkage.  for that price cant go wrong with good UC.  those other parts easy to replace
Me -C,U,UC,WC,WD45,190XT,TL-12,145T,HD6G,HD16,HD20

Dad- WD, D17D, D19D, RT100A, 7020, 7080,7580, 2-8550's, 2-S77, HD15
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 10:59am
If the undercarriage is as good as the owner says,it is a OK deal. Pieces being off is one thing missing all together not so good if you are wanting to use it. 

I probably have all the pieces your missing. But the only way to get further apart is being if you are on a different continent.    
Coke-in-MN View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 11:45am
Well worth the cost especially if track is good - that is worth it in itself even if turned once and bushings are still round on one side . 
 If case drain holes are open then no standing water in cases no problems there .
The transmission boot being missing could mean the rear double row bearing in transmission could be bad - a $200 cost . Big failure part on the machines is the outboard bearing on the first reduction gear , if it goes bad it breaks the rear housing case . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 12:51pm
Ya, I was trying to hide my enthusiasm when I first looked at it, the undercarriage is the best I have seen on one of these. I'm still curious as to why it is partially dismantled. Anyway, I have all the pieces that are missing on a donar at home. All I need is get it running and drive it down to the road to load it and it is mine. If it doesn't start and drive I cant get it, cannot get a truck and trailer into where it is at. He was asking $2000, I offered $1000 and he took it. The weight on the back is the first one I have ever seen. It means the front has not taken the beating that many did from the weight of the bucket and load. I was excited about that. plus, for at least the last part of its life, it didn't even have a bucket, just the blade 
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Coke-in-MN Coke-in-MN wrote:

Well worth the cost especially if track is good - that is worth it in itself even if turned once and bushings are still round on one side . 
 If case drain holes are open then no standing water in cases no problems there .
The transmission boot being missing could mean the rear double row bearing in transmission could be bad - a $200 cost . Big failure part on the machines is the outboard bearing on the first reduction gear , if it goes bad it breaks the rear housing case
exactly why I have a parts donar
Wait for the Lord;
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 1:23pm
Take something there that can drag it out

Or get it running

You already have one and you're asking us?  Go get it
HD3
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 6:01pm
Originally posted by NomoreJohnDeere NomoreJohnDeere wrote:

Take something there that can drag it out

Or get it running

You already have one and you're asking us?  Go get it

currently, I have nothing that is in operating condition, thus my interest in another one, worse, I dont have truck and trailer capable of hauling 14k pounds. so far, best estimate for hauling this one after I get it to the road is $450. Sure wouldnt want to pay that for another one too
getting it running where it is is my best option
Wait for the Lord;
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Sep 2020 at 6:31pm
piece it out if you can't get it to run 
HD3
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 8:21am
I bought 2 machines and had a outfit with a roll off box transport them - used winch on truck to pull machines into box - got them here opened door rolled box back and let them slide out . 
Faith isn't a jump in the dark. It is a walk in the light. Faith is not guessing; it is knowing something.
"Challenges are what make life interesting; overcoming them is what makes life meaningful."
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 9:23am
Ya, this one is about 15 miles from me. I have a local contractor that said he would transport it for me, but he is rather busy and coordinating with him my be problematic. Backup plan is local tow company with a rollback heavy enough to haul 14k said they would do it for $450. probably is the way I'll go

BTW Coke, I remember you saying something about modifying the final drives for better lubrication. I don't remember the details. was that something that can be done retro, or was you speaking about factory history?
Wait for the Lord;
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2020 at 9:24pm
It's modifying the lubrication on the throw out bearing on steering clutch , it uses a felt wick with oil fed from ring gear case . Remove line and use plug in case , then drill or notch area to bring a grease gun hose to access with a grease gun . 
 another area is the pilot bearing in the flywheel - that also uses a felt wick and feed from crankshaft drilling , plug crank and use a sealed and lubed bearing instead of open bearing in crank end 
 Other area is the outboard axle end bearing on truck frame - they suffer from lack of oil and using a spot on the housing to drill in for grease zerk can save that link belt bearing which is a hard one to find now .
 A 15 mile move seems rather expensive - check with some small contractors who might have a skid loader big enough to move the machine onto their trailer .. 
 I hauled my HD5G with 2 counterweights on it on a single axle roll back bed on a 2 ton Chev Viking 60 series truck , machine will weight about 12,500  - 
 I grossed out at 31,000 with it loaded - truck license was 27,000 - but never got stopped so must have been legal (ALMOST)
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 7:36am
Thanks Coke,  lot of good information!

Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 3:12pm
Well, it is home! I'll post some pics as soon as I get a chance
Wait for the Lord;
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 6:55pm
Lou, where them pichares???

Knew od one fella that drove his right in the ditch till he got to where he was going, and when crossing the roads, they laid tires down.
 another fella drove his excavator right down the roaf and left spme marks along the way, but that was only 3/4 of a mile... right into my yard.  We had to rebuild his turrent drive.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
LeonR2013 View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LeonR2013 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:08pm
I remember when I got my 5 that the fellow told me I bought it from said it weighed ten ton. It was a regular high lift with the counter weight. I hauled it on my log truck with no problem.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 8:41pm
well the fellow that I bought this one from said he had it hauled from Mississippi, and when they went to load it, it wouldn't start, so they hired a rotator. those have a scale on the boom. The wrecker operator told the fellow it weighed pretty close to 14,000. The only data I could find (Terry Dean) was for the A model, w/o the rear weight, is 11,800, so I suspect that 14,000 is not too far out of line for the G with rear weight.
Pics as soon as I figure out how to xfer from phone
Wait for the Lord;
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 2:07pm
Waiting for the pictures but wondering how you got it to the truck or trailer and loaded.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 2:15pm
Lou,  was looking a bit and for weights of those machines, a book for HD5B says bare weight was 11250.
HD5G complete, tractor and shovel app . weight 16200# This weight was right out of AC HD5G books.
Other weights I gleaned from other sources... one fellow said his weighed 16800 without the counter balance and w/ the counter it weighed 18500
 Seems the counter balance then weighs about 1700 pounds...? That counter balance is sure a hunk of solid iron.

HD5 series width of center line of tracks...
HD5A   44" short track
HD5B   60" short track
HD5D   44"  Long track
HD5E   60"  Long track
HD5F  without Shovel  rigid truck frames
HD5G  with Tractomotive Shovel  Rigid truck frame.
 Short frames 33 links, long frames 37links

Tractomotive had 4 different buckets, a tractocranehook and a tractofork with fixed or floating tines.
Did you know they had a "TRACTOHOE" too?
 plus a rear ripper and a snowplow...
 and then the counter balance,  no weight listed for it but just in case somebody wants to order it from a dealer, the part # is 5290.  LOL
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:30pm

Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:40pm

Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 6:55pm
for some reason fuel pump is bypassed, radiator is in poor shape, belly pan is held up with one bolt and ratchet straps, gear shift is really, really sloppy, missing hood, fuel tank, seat arm rests several covers (drive clutch, left steering clutch, battery box covers), left brake rod to peddle is disconnected for some reason, hydraulics is a mystery, as there is a blown hose on it, so no chance of trying it until I replace the hose, floor pan is missing, precleaner on top of air cleaner is missing.
Bees nest, petrified, was removed before the trip from Mississippi. Battery cables need replaced.

But, it does run, and the seller drove it from the woods to the truck, sitting on a big, dead battery, which was sitting on the brake rods!
I have pics of that, but still figuring out getting them from phone to here

Oh, and the weight is held on by one bolt!

And, I probably will never know the serial no, it is behind that weight, and I have no means to wrestle with it! LOL

Edited by LouSWPA - 23 Sep 2020 at 7:04pm
Wait for the Lord;
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 7:02pm

Wait for the Lord;
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:41pm
Pre 1952 - loader boom has the old style cross brace and so looks like top loader pins are the short boss ones , also the either container option for capsules , hard to tell also but looks like early throttle body which was a thin unit with friction disc . 
 Just happen to have a extra fuel tank , hood , and few other pieces around . 
also a core 2-71 of unknown condition out back , some gears for single speed revers also, 
 Looks like someone welded a single grouser bar onto loader tracks 

Right side of dash below throttle position should be a serial number tag also . 
Those 2 filters hanging on battery boxes are a great thing to add to the extra thing pile of unneeded parts  

Edited by Coke-in-MN - 23 Sep 2020 at 8:52pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:49pm
Picture of my counterweights - late style - 2 units 

To tighten up shift replace the pivot shaft , pivot screw, shift arm pin , hole in gear shaft arm will be worn, and flat ball end of shift arm welded up 
  Those parts are same in 2 speed or single speed reverse transmission . Which do you have will also tell some on year .

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Coke-in-MN Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2020 at 8:55pm
I did away with the old fuel and oil filters and made this unit up , kept the primary filter as it was on right side of engine 
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 11:49am
Good luck since it looks like someone did things with without thinking long term. As the no replaceable edge on the modified remains of the  bucket.

Hopefully the steering works if the previous owner drove it.
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 10:57pm
Lou, if you think you have some frayed or rotten hoses,... Wink

It is fun seeing old tags on these machines.

Here is a pic of 4 different parts of pages ... showing some attachments.

Coke, what is the last picture of yours to the right of the filters? Oh, like that simple design that you have there. Don't have to go buying filter bases and still have to make the mounting brackets.
dadsdozerhd5b View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dadsdozerhd5b Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 8:28am
Lou, nice find! I love my HD5G loader. Mine had a winch on it, sold it and ended up putting 2 of the big counterweights on it, works great, really balanced. I use it in the mountains for loading a dump truck to repair roads. I replaced all my hydraulic hoses before putting it into service. adapted the old style hose ends to JIC and found inexpensive ones online. did all the hoses for under $400.00. One thing to look for if you have the belly pan down is the suction line  to the hydraulic pump. mine rotted through from the dirt build up over the years laying in the belly pan. I also had alot of water in the hydraulics from water leaking into the cylinders through the packing. had to flush it 3 times to get it fairly clean. I still have some parts if you need anything.
HD5B, HD5G, (2) FARMALL A's, CUB. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME, IGNORE THE LAUGHTER. FLANNEL IS ALWAYS IN STYLE.
LouSWPA View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LouSWPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2020 at 2:07pm
Thanks, Tim, I appreciate your, and everyone' advice and help
Wait for the Lord;
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic