This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Dozer Final Drive Lubrication

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Dozer Final Drive Lubrication
    Posted: 28 Jul 2020 at 9:05pm
Our FA 10 has started leaking from one sprocket seal.  And our diesel fixer son's service truck is the other side of Australia.

So my question is -

Has anyone tried that part oil, part "O" or "OO" grease mix - successfully?
Sponsored Links

pinball View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pinball Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:38am
a diesel mechanic told me they fill the compartment with axle grease. for a short term fix i think it would be okay but it will need a new seal if for anything else just to check the bearing and shaft.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 5:38pm
If its temporary, till you get it fixed, corn head grease might work.  Google thixotropic grease...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 5:50pm
Thanks.  I've seen mention of a mix of about half "O" cornhead grease and gear oil for gearboxes with leaky seals, but never on a final drive.  So asking before leaping.

It will be used for scrub feeding cattle so intermittent loading and not heavy work.

Sometime I'll do an item on that form of drought feeding which probably sounds odd to you folk.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:30pm
I would not worry as much about gear loading as i would lube to the TOP SHAFT BEARINGS.. The gears pickup the oil and sling it to the top to drip down into the bearings. Lube level in the case is far below the top shaft... Make sure the "mixture" is viscous enough to  wick onto the gears and travel up to the top shaft... "GREASE " is to thick...... Cornhead grease and maybe some gear lube could work.. You dont want jello ... you want THICK, but  FLOWABLE.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:36pm
Thanks.

On the thickness ratings "O" is given as "peanut oil" - I presume at room temperature?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:42pm
just a GENERIC drawing of a final drive... its them two top bearings #13 that we need to worry about getting proper lube.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 6:50pm
you want thicker than peanut oil

Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2020 at 11:56pm
Steve

It is a double reduction final drive and there is an oil trough for the first reduction

Thickness rating here

The cornhead grease is thixotropic, meaning it liquefies with stirring.  Not sure how that applies to the rating above.
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 2:03am
I must remember to pack apple sauce and brown mustard in lunch bag in case final seal goes out and it runs low on lube.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 4:11am
Mac

Maybe the consistency but the taste might be a different matter.  Will you report back please?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 9:15am
Yes Ian.......... your final drive is not exactly the same as the GENERIC drawing above.. But the effect is the same.. You need OIL to the top bearings.. If the gear case was full of Heavy Grease it will not be thrown and FLOW into the bearings on your trough.. That was my only point.. Make sure it will FLOW to the bearing.

You can buy O or OO , or mix gear lube with heavy grease to get the consistance you want... the APPLE SAUCE reference might be a good one... maybe a tad thinner!

i think what you are looking for is maple surup ! 

Edited by steve(ill) - 30 Jul 2020 at 9:19am
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2020 at 4:28pm
Steve

"i think what you are looking for is maple surup ! "

What I'm actually looking for is someone who used it successfully so I can borrow the recipe.

I checked the dozer yesterday and it hasn't leaked any more stationary.  So we'll see what happens next outing. 

I got a piece of high tensile fence wire in one seal on the other side.  Bloke who deals in dozers suggested seeing if I could work it out.  Took a track plate off for access and managed to work it out with a sheet metal finger.  It actually took up - Fiat face seals seem to be forgiving so hopefully - -- .
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 1:14pm
A pal if mine ran AC dozers for years. He used to buy STP in 5 gallon buckets and run a 50/50 mixture of it and oil. He did that because he got barb wire wrapped around his. He said it stopped/ slowed down the leak till he could get it in at the end of the season and fix it.
Ian Beale View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ian Beale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2020 at 5:17pm
Thanks everyone.  Looks like I can get about 3 hours per filling which will allow me to keep up with the cattle.

Next part of this problem up on a new post.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic