This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fat Allis Let me Down

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fat Allis Let me Down
    Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:13pm
AGAIN.  Seems the old gal just demands attention.

Dragged BILs old rust bucket out of the weeds to get running again, will start and run on dribbled gas into throat but fuel pump not pumping gas to carb.  Had to use Allis to drag it out as had taken a 'Set' so to speak and my pickup would not do it.  Noticed the right brake headed to floor, adjusted it and now all gone.  Back to several years ago, likely snatched a shoe apart and I did have the Power Boost dialed nearly off on BOTH sides so may just have been cracked finally gave up. 

Started tearing the donor apart for those brakes and clutches, will have to pull the cab guard off the runner then get back into the shop to pull the right side brake/clutch out.

Last time:

Sponsored Links

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 1:25pm
Something is afoot with images:

Edited by DMiller - 14 Jul 2020 at 2:03pm
Mactractor View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 2:41pm
You maybe right Dave. That machine just likes laying around your workshop. All components will stay freed up that way I guess.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 3:14pm
So far seems all its good for!!

Picked up a electric fuel pump for the Chevy 70, will try to get that monstrosity moving anyway, need to haul dirt!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 11:30am
Got pump connected this morning still no gas, Tracked back to Standpipe in tank rusted off, while under it for that found three sections of brake lines rotted out and dripping, PS will no longer hold oil either.  Suspect this one is a done deal and scrap now.
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 4:32pm
fix it and haul your dirt

HD3
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 5:57pm
Could easily drop a grand in this just in pieces and no real value in it as the cab will fall off, be good money after bad.  Stepped on clutch was final determination as the left cab corner lifted and clutch I do not believe really released, mounts are rotted away.   Friend of mine THINKS he has another 70 series available to transplant some of the mechanical stuff to, will know some time this weekend, that falls thru this one gets hauled away and start over.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 6:24pm
Alright you guys and I have shamed myself into looking first for a replacement square body, may have one north of here, going there in morning.  He does have a Runable(Needs carb work) 1977 C70 366 5&2, Hyd. Drum Brakes, sitting on yard Cab and Chassis for $2250 and is Clean machine, a little too much for what we already have.  Has several old cabs in various states will negotiate on prices tomorrow.  If go that route, will strip the sheet goods off, and then proceed on the brake tubing issues.  That far I will reseal the Saginaw Dual Piston and maybe even buy a reman P/S pump for it.  How bad it can be or get is anyone's guess.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 2:55am
We all need that sense of adventure you have.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2020 at 5:20pm
Finally BACK in the Shop.  Will be a few days shifting pieces, then can see inside the brake compartment to ID what broke.

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:05pm
As expected, right lower shoe peeled.  All torn down, parts stripped from donor, will inspect replacement pieces for the install TOMORROW.  Soaked TWO t-shirts today by NOON!  It has just hit the Beer Thirty Bell!

Edited by DMiller - 27 Aug 2020 at 1:12pm
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:14pm
Thought Y'all would like to meet my Helper, tends to not speak much thats OK, just always laying down, have to notch him up once in awhile!!  Thinking he is more into Binders!!

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 1:47pm
Yes understand the soaking two shirts. It's 92 here with heat index of 112, sure would be nice tyo get some rain , it keeps missing us the other day my son live about 12 mile away said he got 1/2" of rain and we got 6 drops. supposed to get some rain tonight or tomorrow and the temp drop into the 70s for Sat**day
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Aug 2020 at 3:21pm
Humidity has been something awful here, 80-90% is typical, may as well be raining as soon as I get outside break into a sweat.  Can feel for ya!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 7:16am
Got clutch and lower shoes back in all bolted up and then fought with upper shoe to the adjuster drive for over an hour
Had to just walk away awhile
Will get back at it Monday once temper tempers out!!
That was yesterday and still mad as well a few bloody spots nicked on sharp edges!

Edited by DMiller - 29 Aug 2020 at 7:17am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2020 at 1:27pm
Have also decided the yard north of here has some relatively decent old cabs, going to go pick out one for the yellow dump truck once 7G is completed this time.  Fully intended on fixing it up but been so frustrated by the 7G as to have to get them both done and GONE!!
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Aug 2020 at 12:20pm
All back together this morning, just in time for Tornado Warning T-storms.  Cage still in yard, got started looking over trans leaks dropped belly pan, just seepers all over, nothing defined Leak.  Need to add a drain hole in pan so does not accumulate to puddle.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:55am

Got all pretty functional, been sitting awhile and we have had some rains!!  Renter called where was mowing the pastures for weed control, dropped the front end into a ditch and was hung up, Fat Allis to the rescue, ALL The Way in the Back Forty!!

The Victim

Edited by DMiller - 12 Sep 2020 at 9:56am
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 9:57am
Fat Allis, contemptuously happy to handle the competition.
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 2:04pm
Breaks my heart to see green planted in a pasture......lol not
NomoreJohnDeere View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NomoreJohnDeere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2020 at 3:52pm
I dropped the front end of my tractor in a sink hole a couple years ago.
Had to call a wrecker

Good your up a going again

HD3
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 2:54pm
An additional trip under the seat this morning, seeping leak like to driving me NUTS.  FINALLY after leaving sit and I suspect at just the right angle it showed out.  Left brake actuator to clutch/brake cover plate.  All bolts were tight and the boots intact on the housing flares so peeled the culprit off.  Had NOT been off since I replaced the brake on the left along with the clutch actuator seals some seven years back.  Evidently in working in the barn, poor lighting and no way to control dirt I allowed a small rock or other piece of detritus to get under the actuator housing when reinstalled it, about .020-.030 thick mashed.  Seepage was off and on dependent of speed and percentage of brakes use.  Cleaned it all up, replaced the housing to plate Oring on the dump port and then went about backing off the brake pressure just a Tad more adjusted brakes and reset rail slack tension.  Ready for tomorrow. This was taken going back in.

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mactractor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 8:07pm
There's always something on these ol gems to keep us on our toes. Your perseverance has to be commended Dave. 
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Sep 2020 at 9:44pm
Are you still serious about sending it down the road after finally getting more bugs out of it?  There has been more then one piece of junk I got so frustrated with trying to repair but then after I got it working, I kept it because I figured it would be hard to find another, probably in no better condition.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:41am
Actively listed CL locally and on Machinery Trader
Time for FA to see a new home
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Sep 2020 at 5:23pm
I will explain a tad further.  In mid sixties now, the 20# pin pusher and I no longer deal well with each other nor do the off angle approaches to repair regions does my arthritic spine and hands deal with very well.  Knew was gaining age when could not twist into the contorted shapes I once could to make repairs I used to do offhand.  Age our Constant companion is NOT our friend where while Allis is behaving and performing well will venture off to a new home to work the new master as hard as has I.

Hate to say it but the beatings I gave myself LONG ago have caught up IN SPADES. 
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 2:32pm
  Yes that has a tendencey to happen to all as we get older.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 4:11pm
Sadly so
gemdozer View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gemdozer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2020 at 7:33pm
I think am gone closed soon because have so much arthrite every were legg, arm, back,feet,finger only the head no to bad for my 76 years old.
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 1:10pm
And the hits just keep coming.  Got my crater dug out with the rock laden dirt moved out, need at least three to four decent loads of clean soil back in and garden spot will be good to go then noticed Snail Trails.  Fat Allis BICH!! sprung two NEW Leaks while in process.  Currently BACK in the shop awaiting my temper to calm.

Hyd Leak on left side Boom or bucket cylinder lines(LESS than three years old) and a drizzle from above the Trans Belly pan.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic