This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

D 15 lift latch

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: D 15 lift latch
    Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:21pm
Anyone know if the top twisted rivet hole goes all the way thru ? One of mine's broken off flush . I was thinking if I can get the other side out maybe I can drive the broken one out ?THANKS !!
Sponsored Links

den/southern illinoi View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote den/southern illinoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:45pm
No, they do not go all the way thru and they are hardened metal.  I've had mixed results on drilling.   Den

Own 5 720 garden tractors with associated equipment,1 620 garden tractor, 4 wheel 20
2-5015, 5020 and associated equipment and 2 electric forklifts.
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 2:50pm
I've wondered if anyone made/makes a repro unit ?
Somehow I've misplaced a pair of them but have an extra D-14 aircleaner assembly...

Jay
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:53pm
Thanks Den and Jay . Plan was to remove this lift latch and see what I could see . Can't budge this 3/4" square head bolt . Gonna see if my Kroil will creep up on it tonight and try again tomorrow . Plan B .
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 7:24pm
I have a few different styles lift latches available, for the tractors larger than the CA/D10/12. I think I even have one pair of NOS ones like used on the D19/190.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 5:25am
You'll need to get the nut backed off first...THEN the bolt will come out.
I had to heat it up with a propane torch on one of the D-14s.
Once off, wire brush them real good, cost with neversieze, then they'll easily go on and off, years later....

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 6:20am
Yeah Jay I have the lock nut loose . Heat may be the answer . Gotta wonder why they used a bolt with a square head ? Thanks
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 7:09am
square headed bolts were easy to make a 'zillion' years ago...also stronger than a 6,8 or 12 pointed bolt as theres' more metal ( surface) for the wrench to grip onto .

try a good pair of vise grips , on TIGHT, whack with hammer,then 'tighten' a bit, repeat... you need to break the 'rust weld', so off,on,off,on a few times. If you try to just remove, the rust builds up in the threads and binds it all up, snap.......oopsy...grrrrrrr

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 7:58am
Happy to say this bolt turned a little this morn . I hit it with some more Kroil and I'll try to remove it later . Thanks Jay . Paul , my lift latch has #326532 on it . Have any of those ? Thanks again !
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 10:28am
A picture of yours would be easier to match it. 
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 10:57am
Sadly I've never been able to figure out how to post any pics . I did order a rebuild kit for mine . Maybe I'll get lucky . Thanks
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 11:17am
I believe that is a set screw, and most set screws have square head.
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jun 2020 at 12:49pm
Could be a set screw Dusty . Whatever it is it's not very cooperative . I got it moving but not out yet . Thanks
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 6:59am
Finally got my lift latch off . Big set screw had exposed threads I couldn't see that were very rusty . Also managed to remove one twisted rivet . Other is broken off flush . Anyone ever had any luck with an ease out ? Have it in my vise with kroil on it . Thanks !
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:08am
well I'm happy you got it off !!! 50-60 years of rust probably didn't help.....hehehe.
some heat up the hardened pin then drill them out....
One of mine ,PO, drilled them out, made through holes, tapped and put some kind of socket head cap screw in.Looks Ok and EASY to get springs on.

Jay

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:28am
Yeah Jay I'm happy it's off . I'm thinking this hardened steel rivet is going to be hard to drill a hole in . Don't wanna make a mess out of it . BTDT Thanks !
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 7:56am
AC in SC,
 I have a pair of lift latches on the work bench in the vast warehouse that has three of the rivets broken off. I tried to drill one with no success. I do have another plan and it will not be for the timid and or weak of heart. Today would be a good day to try it. Its rainy and cool. You may have given me the challenge. If I try to remove them I will take some pictures. I have know idea why I like to get these working? I have a couple sets of them around and only the plows are SC.
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Jun 2020 at 7:57am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 9:14am
Sounds good Chris . What went wrong with drilling them out ? Beginning to think I need to take mine to the machine shop . Thanks !

Edited by ACinSC - 29 Jun 2020 at 6:34am
Alberta Phil View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alberta Phil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 10:16am
Those "twist rivets" are drive screws and are made of a very hard steel.  I've got some out by welding a small flat washer to the broken off screw through the hole in the washer, then weld a nut onto the washer the same way.  Let it cool off and you can get the drive screw out by putting a wrench on the nut and carefully start wiggling it back and forth until you feel some movement. Tthen you can usually screw it back out.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 10:36am
Thanks Phil !
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Sounds good Chris . What went wrong with drilling them out ? Beginning to think I need to take my to the machine shop . Thanks !

As mentioned they are hard and the drill just started to run off into the casting.
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 6:28am
Thanks Chris . Good to know .
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 6:32am
Originally posted by ACinSC ACinSC wrote:

Paul , my lift latch has #326532 on it . Have any of those ? Thanks again !
 That is the number for the 'Cast" cover of the lift latch. There are 5 different styles that will fit on the WD & up tractors. The same "cast" cover was used all but the first type. 
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2020 at 9:36am
Didn't know that . You wouldn't have a good cover for sale would you ? We have one with the ear/hook broken off . Maybe I could fix it . That's if I can find it . Thanks Paul !
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 6:42am
Found our broken lift latch and it's beyond repair . Dunno why we still have it ? Plan to take my good latch somewhere soon and see about removing the broken twisted rivet . Thanks !
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2020 at 4:07pm
Got my brother to weld on nut on this broken off rivet . Thought I had it moving but the nut twisted off . Anyone ever try a left hand drill bit ? Thanks !
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:15am
AC, I feel your pain, those rivets are tricky to remove. I have a nice pair of the heavy duty ones I'm trying to refurb. Tried welding the washer/nut, no go. Finally drilled one out, may have had to use a carbide bit, don't remember. I decided to drill and tap and use a button head cap screw in place of the rivet. Need someone to help with the assembly though. Thankfully I don't need them for a tractor, just trying to make them useful again.
ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:20am
Thanks Mike . May have to resort to drilling and tapping and use a button head screw . Think Jay mentioned that . Today I'm going to try an ease out . Hopefully the heat from welding loosened it .
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 8:20am
hmm... I'm wondering if, with two people, you could hold an arc welding rod  on the rivet, then have helper turn on/off the welder ?
My theroy is the current will heat up the rivet, it loses its hardness and might actually come out ?
Anotehr option would be to use an autobody 'stud gun'. Weld the stud onto the rievt then 'yank' the rivet out with puller >

Jay

ACinSC View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ACinSC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2020 at 11:16am
Good things to try .  Thanks Jay
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic