This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Garden Tractors
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

720 Allis Chalmers

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 720 Allis Chalmers
    Posted: 04 Jun 2020 at 9:54pm
The onan motor will not restart unless I use carb cleaner in intake. Pop right off.
 I need help  Thanks
Sponsored Links

Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2020 at 7:18am
When you say it won't "restart", is the engine already hot, or has been running? We need more details here to get an idea of what your problem may be. Could be a half dozen things causing your problem.  Low compression, needing a tune-up, points need adjusting, bad fuel, air filter, just to shoot you a few possiblilities......
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Mike K View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike K Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jun 2020 at 10:53pm
When cold, carb cleaner in intake to start, same when the engine chokes off. The engine is warm. Just spins, and does not start till it gets a shot of carb cleaner. Then pops right off. thanks for the help.
  mike
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2020 at 9:56am
Being a ONAN would be a good reason from my personal experience. I view them as I do a Tecumseh and a 2 cycle Dogtriot, I don't want anything to do with any of them.
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
Steve in NJ View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve in NJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 2:15pm
Paul, 
Funny you mention not liking the Tecumseh. I had two snowblowers with the Snow King engines on them and they worked flawlessly for me over the years. I have a Noma snowblower (Murray) with a Snow King engine on that also, and that's been great for the past 25 years. Were the Snow Kings better engines by Tecumseh?
Steve@B&B
39'RC, 43'WC, 48'B, 49'G, 50'WF, 65 Big 10, 67'B-110, 75'716H, 2-620's, & a Motorhead wife
Dusty MI View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dusty MI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2020 at 4:16pm
Many years ago I had a Massy Ferguson with a 12 hp Tecumsey. It never gave me any problem. I bought it used, and when the lead was remover from our gas I bought a one year used 917h, and sold the M F. 
The 917 I'm still working the 917 some, the only problem is that the hydro leaks.

Dusty
917 H, '48 G, '65 D-10 series III "Allis Express"
AC720Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AC720Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2020 at 9:28pm
Check the plugs,points, condenser, and timing. All are key to a smooth running healthy Onan. Especially timing, and points settings. 100 hour maintenance items that was a recommendation of Onan. One of my 720’s has 1,200 hours on it it always right up. Don’t forget some Seafoam in your gas at each fill up. Keeps the rings, valves, carb clean to aid performance.
1968 B-208, 1976 720 (2 of them)Danco brush hog, single bottom plow,52" snow thrower, belly mower,rear tine tiller, rear blade, front blade, 57"sickle bar,1983 917 hydro, 1968 7hp sno-bee, 1968 190XTD
Gary Burnett View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Burnett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jun 2020 at 6:14am
My Simplicity 9020 always required the choke to be all the way shut to start hot or cold.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic