This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

i wanna make...

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: i wanna make...
    Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:39am
some raised veggie beds and put them on an old wagon gear, i gotta make a deck to mount the beds on...don't want anything to expensive for the deck, don't have any more used lumber, will hafta buy new boards. what ya'll think i can use (cheap) for a floor? i have the beds made already from years past. this will make it so i don't hafta bend over so much and i'll be able to lean on it while harvesting the goodies.  
Sponsored Links

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:41am
should also keep critters from getting into the veggies before we get them. i have 2 puppies that are vegetarians.
Kansas99 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kansas99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 6:33am
Not sure what type of frame your working with(wagons were before my timeWink) but if pallets would work for ya, they should be free to take at about any coop, hardware store, etc. 
"LET"S GO BRANDON!!"
Boss Man View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boss Man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 7:54am
Around here Menards has cheap landscape timbers that are about $4 a piece. Think they are about 2.5 X 3.5 X 8. They're only surface pressure treated, which is one reason they're cheaper than buying regular pressure treated lumber.
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:06am
Shameless I built my mom a raised garden. She bought a whole bunch of those square plastic tanks with a cage around them. These were syrup containers from a Little Debbies factory. I sat them 2’ apart in a grid. Filled them 3/4 full of cardboard and the rest of the way with top soil. Now she just walks between the tanks to water, weed and harvest. No bending over . Been using them 10 years or so. Have to add soil every year for the first couple years.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:13am

Well,,,Shameless,,you always coming up with some of the gol-durned-est ideas,,,,,,BUT,,,,I LIKE this one,,,!!!!!!! Full soeed ahead,,I say,,!! I especially like the idea of havin the groceries right at pickin and eatin level so as not having to stoop over,,,,, What a great idea,,there,,Good Buddy,,,!!!
 I ain't got any kind of trailer I could use thAT ain't already gots a bunch of chit on it and ain't got any place to put it to use the trailer and that trailer is too LOW anyway,,,,Maybe the idea of usin the pallets for raisin the groceris might be workable,,,,,,?????
 What did you use for the beds themselves,,????
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 8:16am

Hey Thad,,,did our Good Buddy come up with a good idea or what,,,????Clap
 I was still typin when you posted,,,,LOL
 What did you used to raise the ones you builT for your Mommy????  Tell me more,,,,, I'm startin to get excited bout this  now,,,,Clap
Thad in AR. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Thad in AR. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:15am
Don’t have to raise them. The tanks are square plastic between 3 and 4’ tall. I just cut the top off. Fill 3/4 way full of cardboard to take up space and finish off with top soil.
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 9:58am

OH,,OK,,I couldn't figure out how,,,,Lol  where did you get so much cardboard  ?? That is a great idea,,tho,,as the cardboard acts as a source of humidity once it gets saturated with water and the plants  prolly do not require as much water after that,,,,,, Thas a great idea,,!!!Clap
 I like the "IDEA" of a garden,,but with the poor rocky soil here,,I ain't ever had much luck and so I gave up many years ago,,,, My wife has the "Greenest Thumb" I ever seen,,,she could make things grow like gangbusters by just talking and handling the plants,,,almost unbelievable,,,
 Say,,,you just gave me the best'est idea for a possible project for her spare time,,,I'ma gonna run this by her,,see what she thingks,,,,Clap
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:43am
I have been growing in rusted out water troughs for years. After Thads comments I bet the big  bulk chemical tanks would work if they are cleaned good. The tanks are so you could move them with forks on your tractor.

Question for Mr Shameless how are you going to get up an the wagon deck to pick all the yummies!!!!!!!!!!! And when a gimps like us does get up there,Wink the puppies will too. Grandson 5 years old visited the other day LOL he jumped off the tail gate of the pickup and my old knees hurt just watching.OuchCry 

Just leave the pretty machine hid,Winkthen you don't have to move the plants in the barn. So you can have planters out where they are handy,and surround with hog panels from your favorite TS.

Edited by Ray54 - 23 May 2020 at 11:07am
JC-WI View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JC-WI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 11:22am
We got old stock tanks with old well rotted hay/manure in them hafta just bend over a little bit to plant but, it's easy pick'n out of them. Thought about putting a hooped top over them with clear plastic for spring and fall.
He who says there is no evil has already deceived himself
The truth is the truth, sugar coated or not. Trawler II says, "Remember that."
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 1:53pm
How about getting some of them plastic barrels and cut them in half, use pallets to lay on the wagon frames and put the plastic barrel half on them
desertjoe View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote desertjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 4:06pm

Hey T Adams,,,thas a great idea,,,!!  There was an ad in the local Marketplace a couple of few days ago for some 55 gallon plastic "Food Grade" barrels for $5 each that should be just right cut in half and set on pallets to bring em up to where you want em and then be able to move em with a loader in the fall,,,,HMMmm,,,better me start lookin for some forks for my D14WinkWink
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 5:01pm
Don't know why you two want to have em on wheels other than to tow em into the shed on really cold nites, spring and fall. Moms says with tomato's, if you move em before and during blossom it will be like starting over at transplant for fruitation (made up word) time needed again. If already have fruit, will not produce any more. That has been her experience and is not sure if applicable to other veggies. Tomato's are a fruit if I remember correctly.

Edited by chaskaduo - 23 May 2020 at 5:07pm
1938 B, 79 Dynamark 11/36 6spd, 95 Weed-Eater 16hp, 2010 Bolens 14hp
HD6GTOM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HD6GTOM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2020 at 10:55pm
I've got close to 50 plastic barells cut in 1/2 . Old gal thought they would make good raised beds sitting on the ground. You can have 1 or all of them in central Iowa. They were ok, but try to mow around them. Their a real piece of crap to mow around. Have you got an old JD ellivator? Remove the hopper and undercarriage, cut the chain, sit it up on RR ties that are cut short. Fill it with dirt, rotten hay, crap outta the barn. It's easier to do with a skid loader. You got's a 50' raised bed. Put a soaker hose down the inside edge of it. If it gets dry out the soil has a tendency to dry out quicker than the garden. I put 1 stack of RR ties on both ends and 1 in the center. It was real stable. I also have 3 of those plastic tanks cut in 1/2. Put them under the grape arbor. She's got sweet taters and other things growing in them. Had to put a plastic fence around the 3 raised beds and these plastic tanks just to keep the darn chickens from scratching stuff out and keep the dang cats from crapping in everything!

Edited by HD6GTOM - 23 May 2020 at 11:05pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 3:17am
 thanks guys for your ideas! i already have alot of stock tanks out there and ussually put taters or maters in them. and the reason i'm thunking about this old wagon gear is it would be easy to mow around and under it. the wagon gear is an old barge box gear i changed years ago into a head carrier. it has a long reach under it and thought i could yank the braces off and build a sort of hay flatbed on it, but that could get pricey. we'll still use the tanks too. i cut down alot of scrub trees out back today so i can get the tanks moved in and maybe the wagon too. man do my legs hurt now! one is leaking fluids out....PfffffT! 
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 5:38am
DJ an dothers....
Best idea for  raised beds I ever saw was some PBS gardening show outta Maine (?) where the gal used small square bales to make the beds, 6 to make 'square', 2 layers tall ( yeah , 12 bales...old skool math). The deal was 1st year compost/kitchen scraps went into that 'bed', next year she extended it with a 'U' of bales, so 2nd year scraps/compost went into that. her raised garden was 8-10 units long !!
She could get 3-4 years out of a bed and when it finally crumpled THAT went into another bed.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:30am
Jay that sounds like a really good tator setup.  Thumbs Up
chaskaduo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chaskaduo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 7:39am
Shammers, last time I had a leaky leg, I was in congestive heart failure. SERIOUSLY!
I know you've been through this before my friend. Take No Chances. That gun goes off and your done.  

On second thought, I could use a loving wife, ain't never had one or a Suburban either. Wink

Edited by chaskaduo - 24 May 2020 at 7:47am
truckerfarmer View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote truckerfarmer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 9:17am
I'm thinking get yourself 2 of them totes, split them in half to get 2 beds per tote using the top and bottom. Cut them to a height that would be comfortable sitting on the running gear. I would suggest leaving them at least a foot deep. Only wood you would need, would be the beams. Lag bolt the plastic tubs to the beams. Drill a few holes for drainage, slap some passionate pink paint on it and your good to go! This should end up be close to 4x16'.
I'd probably have the beams extend about 2/3 the length of a tote beyond the bolsters to offset some of the weight on the beams between the bolsters/axles so they don't sag. That would keep the wheelbase down to around 10-11' so it would be maneuverable.

Edited by truckerfarmer - 24 May 2020 at 9:22am
Looking at the past to see the future.
'53 WD, '53 WD45, WD snap coupler field cultivator, #53 plow,'53 HD5B dozer

Duct tape.... Can't fix stupidity. But will muffle the sound of it!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2020 at 12:07am
The "EASIEST" one????   You tell the old lady,,,,,,,,,er um,,,,,,,,the loving wife,,,,,,I'm gonna make you a garden and just start spewing words and numbers for about 15 minutes and then you dig out about every tool you have.  Put em all near where you're gonna "use" em.  Just start pickin up some lumber, hit it with a hammer and put it back down.  Pick up another board and repeat.  After about 6 boards the lovin wife will ask; "WTH are you doin?"  "Git out of the way and let me do it".  Now go cut the grass or sumthin.....

But I like all yer ideas guys....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic