This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Construction and other equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Allis F40 fork lift

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 3.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 9:22am
Chris,
Have to agree with Jay about the tires, would wait till all the mechanical was done. And yes you a correct about the tires, they get pressed on the wheels. The neutral safety switch on mine is wired to a solinoid, guess to take some of the starter load off of the neutral safety switch. Good luck on the start up.
Ed
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:33pm
Ed,
Folks,
I looked at your good pictures of the neutral safety switch. Mine is a mechanical version. The vertical spring under the seat pulls a cable which moves the selector lever to the neutral position when the seat has no weight on it. 

I have taken the assembly off and am cleaning and fixing some things that were not as they should be. Hope to get this back together tomorrow.

Also want to get a choke cable installed. I picked up a 5 foot one from NAPA. Will see if that is long enough to get near the dash.

Also replaced six of the missing and broken clips that hold the floor panels down. I was surprised that NAPA had these clips in stock! 

On the tilt cylinders: I was told that the hydraulics don't have to be bled. Just cycled to get the air out. So that will be tested too. I put 2 gallons of hydraulic fluid in it. 

Anyone have a good source for electronic tune up parts? NAPA is having a hard time cross referencing this G-153 engine. Would like to use AC or Autolite plugs, Cap, rotor, dust cap, points, condenser. (I will get a Belden set and build my own wires).

Looking forward to getting that original owners manual for the F40 from my friend Ted too!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Jan 2021 at 7:34pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2021 at 7:34pm
These little lifters are pretty neat. Had a lot of fun one night with a little hyster, old tire, football and a case of pilsner. Surprisingly capable when used for their intended purpose as well :)
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:48am
Chris,
I would not put Autolites in a lawnmower, I hate them. I have Champions in mine, work great. As for electronic ignition, search Ignitor ignitions on the web
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 9:31am
G-153 engine also used ,I beleive, in Cockshut 30 tractors.....

so....

Edited by jaybmiller - 25 Jan 2021 at 9:32am
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 1:08pm
Guys,
 Thanks! the tune up is on the back burner. Looking for that cliff again. The good news:
It started pretty well and warmed up and ran pretty good without the tune up. Ok not real good.
The tilt cylinders cycled and seemed to get the air out,
The forklift moved forward and backward and the steering seemed to function.
The bad:
The main cylinder in the mast is leaking like a sieve. Since this is the actual first time I had cycled it. I guess it doesn't surprise me. Every other thing on it seems to have leaked or been junk. Sorry for venting!  
Trying to get seal kit pricing today. Carl may be able to rebuild it for me if we can get it out and over to his place. 

Regards,
Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 3:07pm
Right on I new you could do it!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 3:28pm
Sorry about the leak, but very happy you got it up and running!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 5:20pm
Hay Chris.. I wa sthinking about you needing  new front tires, so I bought some...
hmm. somehow they both got put onto MY forklift today......
sorry... Blame Shameless..he's bringing us 4" and I needed some traction !

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 7:32pm
Snowman, there was a discussion on the forum a few months ago concerning spark plug brands and the consensuses was the Champion's were no good, quality was very poor.  I heard the same at my local auto parts store, I'm now running Autolite's in my tractors.  I had always run Champions so was surprised at the change.

Chris, you're going to have a nearly new machine when you get that mast rebuilt.  Considering the weather, it might make sense to just take off the mast cylinder and take over to your friend.

Edited by JohnColo - 25 Jan 2021 at 7:35pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2021 at 8:57pm
Pulling that cylinder should be much easier with that overhead and the mighty 40 able to move!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:24am
Folks,
 Your correct on both calls.
I plan to move the fork lift a little to make sure its under the hoist. Actually may be OK now. I ordered the seal kit for the cylinder today. Cheryl was so happy!:) NOT!
Talked to Carl and he plans to come over to help take this cylinder out and probably will take to his place where its warm!
Hoping the kit is the correct one. These things are hard to get some parts for. Well the cross reference is gone on a lot of this stuff. No support.

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:27am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

Hay Chris.. I wa sthinking about you needing  new front tires, so I bought some...
hmm. somehow they both got put onto MY forklift today......
sorry... Blame Shameless..he's bringing us 4" and I needed some traction !

Jay That is a nice lift! Thanks for posting that! New rubber looks great too.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 10:44am
It's actually a LOT easier R&R the entire 'tire/rim/hub' assembly than JUST the tire/rim !
Only have to line up the hub bearing and NOT 6 clamps AND the valve stem.
Checked today and still got air in them !!

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 7:55am
John, do you think the Autolites are working better than the Champions did?
Ed
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 11:47am
Mast lift cylinder to be removed today.
Wishing you guys the best.
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 2:06pm
Snowman, I can't really say.  The Autolites work and the old Champions in other engines work too.  Could be fairly recent that the Champ's quality went down.  I wonder if they got bought out by a company trying to cash out quickly or something.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 2:10pm
Chris,

Hoping for safe and smooth moves!

If you can, I'm sure I'm not the only one hear who'd love to see pics of that awesome overhead justifying itself and creating envy in the lot of us!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 5:40pm
Strokendiesel002,
Well the jib crane did a good job today lifting out the main ram vertical cylinder on the 
F-40 forklift. Sorry I did not get any action shots of it, but it made easy work of the 100 plus lb hydraulic cylinder. We had just enough lift to get it out of the elevated forklift.
 Had to jack the forklift up to get under the machine carefully to disconnect the hydraulic line going to the base of this cylinder.

Carl came over rand I had the F-40 up on blocks and the lower line loosened. Carl is like a squirrel on one of these machines. He orchestrated the moves I helped!:)

The jib just swung over the elevated forklift mast, We chained up the mast to be above the top of the cylinder top.

I used the hoist to pick the forks off and set them aside. Hoist almost swings too easy pivoting on the Allis final drive bearings!

Used the Dayton hoist to hold the cylinder while I cleaned the years of oil and grease off of it. Then used it to balance the cylinder in the horizontal position to swing it over and load it into the back of my truck. Was Awesome!
Such a nice lifting tool for these types of jobs too:

Took the cylinder to Carl's place. Warmer and he has the tools to do the rebuild much easier than me. We took it apart and he felt it was rebuild-able. He has a hone for the bore and will polish out some scratches in the piston rod.
Here is the upper seal nut. Yea the seals were falling apart:

Carl on the move:

Folks,
I am trying to wind this up and the shop thread too as the last projects on this forum.  Time to move in another direction in life. In its current state this forum is not where I want my family to come to review my projects. Eight years that's probably enough!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Jan 2021 at 5:54pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2021 at 8:30pm
WHITE COVERALLS !!! OMG...WHITE !!!!

please keep posting.. I NEED my daily fix  !!!
and HOW does a guy work on an old, greasy forklit IN WHITE COVERALLS and NOT get them dirty ???????????????

Kinda waiting for the 'reorganizing' that'll be done once the sap starts flowing real good....
.. afterall this building IS the 'distribution and storage warehouse' for the maple products, right ???

Jay

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 2:17pm
Chris, I hope you stay on the forum.  A lot of us really enjoy your project progress, although that also may mean we all need to get a life...  Nah, that's not it, we just enjoy seeing a project started and finished without us getting covered with grease or sawdust!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 3:24pm
John, Folks,

Will be backing away the forum. Should make a clean break. Will see. Thanks for the positive comments. We need more of that.

Today was an attempt to clean up a very dirty F-40 machine while I could get into this area behind the mast cylinder.

It wasnt pretty! And at 32F in the shop, it was not warm either!

Found loose bolts and grease fittings.

The seal kit arrived for the mast cylinder. Just another $100. Its just money.  And looks about right size.  The rod is about 3 inches the bore may be 3,75 inches in dia. Will put that together tomorrow with Carl's help, in his warm shop. Temps are suppose to keep dropping.
Maple season is in a holding pattern until the next warm spell and or a forecast of a week of sugarin weather which ever comes first.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 3:17pm
Folks,
Seal kit was exactly what we needed. Carl knew all the moves. We filed nicks out of the piston rod and polished out the marks with 120 grit. Some air grinder polishing work on the top end of the shaft.
Three seal parts in position here:

Small check valve removed in the bottom end and a oring changed:

Upper nut slid on in reverse to "prep the seals for final assembly:

check valve is for hose failure, resides in the bottom stem welded on the cylinder:

Hone equipment ready. Did about three passes in the bore to remove just a little bit of surface rust:

Cleaning the bore:

Almost together:

I know just a little bit more than I did yesterday! 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Jan 2021 at 3:29pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 4:07pm
Very cool!

I like that long gone tool. Having the right tools sure make the work seem not as bad :)

Are you going to eat the job crane put back together for re assembly of this project?

Your ability to juggle multiple projects is admirable!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 4:47pm
looks like a 'long, boring' job !!! I'd rather have done that than spend 2 hrs getting my email back 'up and running' !
happy to see the white coveralls are a little bit dirty !!!!

progress, you're always making progress !!

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2021 at 6:11pm
Very funny Jay
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 9:25am
wonder if they were signing....
hone, hone on the range........
while doing the work ?

Snowman View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snowman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 11:20am
Ur a funny guy! I think you got too much sleep last night.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 12:36pm
When you have the right tools even a big cylinder like that isn't bad to rebuild. Your going to have that machine in new condition before long Chris.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2021 at 10:55pm
Ahhahaha
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 11>
  Share Topic