This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Allis Chalmers > Farm Equipment
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2 row WD planter population Q

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 row WD planter population Q
    Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 1:31pm
I have a snap-coupler two row planter I've been working on for quite a while now. I'm getting close to having it together and ready to plant some sweetcorn. What I need to know is; Is there a chart somewhere that explains how to set the population? There are nine sprockets total, might be more. I only have the ones on the planter.

Also, if you have suggestions for pop. per acre that would be great.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Mike.

Edited by IBWD MIke - 09 Apr 2020 at 1:32pm
Sponsored Links

PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 3:33pm
The operators manual has a population chart and much more. Anyone that has a tractor or any implement should have the companion operators manual. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
ac fleet View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac fleet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2020 at 5:37pm
I always plant sweet corn at around 12 to16 thousand. Sweet corn is a bush and needs more room than old field corn that has only a single stalk.
We grew sweet corn for Stoakley-van camp and always went for 16 thousand for the variety they sent us,--it wasnt quite as bushy so closer was o.k. on it.
Set up your planter on concrete drive or hard surface and put in a plate, some seed, then pull a few feet, ---check distance for spacing and adjust from there. different varieties will require way different settings so no set charts will do you any good. you have to set by seed size, AND shape! I have some RR varieties that I have to plant by hand!---NASTY seed shape and size wont work in a planter!
http://machinebuildersnetwork.com/
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 1:04am
set you up a seat behind the planter, have magic marker/pen, put seed in the hopper and turn the back wheel/drive wheel til a seed drops, mark the spot on the wheel, turn until another seed drops, mark on wheel...keep going, you'll be able to see the spacing. turn the wheel slow so you can stop when the seed drops. there is a place online that gives populations per acre with row spacings and spacings between seeds. in light ground I always tried to plant field corn in the area of 6 inches apart.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 4:43am
To elaborate on what shameless said, measure the circumference of the rear wheel. Mark it in 1 place, rotate the wheel say 10 times, and collect the dropped seed. count the seed.  Now you know the seeds dropped per 10 revs.  it is then easy to set up a ratio, like this:

Seed dropped in 10 revs (lbs of seed)/AREA= X/LARGER area, and solve for xWink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:18am
Originally posted by PaulB PaulB wrote:

The operators manual has a population chart and much more. Anyone that has a tractor or any implement should have the companion operators manual. 

Paul, I have a manual, have looked through it several times, only 'chart' I find is about different plates available. I have not found anything about setting the gearing for the seed drive.

Shameless, Dave, thanks for the ideas. I think there is probably info on the net about this, will do some looking.
CrestonM View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CrestonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:28am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

To elaborate on what shameless said, measure the circumference of the rear wheel. Mark it in 1 place, rotate the wheel say 10 times, and collect the dropped seed. count the seed.  Now you know the seeds dropped per 10 revs.  it is then easy to set up a ratio, like this:

Seed dropped in 10 revs (lbs of seed)/AREA= X/LARGER area, and solve for xWink
This is the way they taught us to calibrate planters/drills in the Plant and Soil Science Dept. in college. 
PaulB View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2020 at 9:50am
Every planter manual I've ever seen has a population (spacing) chart. You must be missing a bunch of pages.  I have a PDF copy that won't transfer on this site. 
If it was fun to pull in LOW gear, I could have a John Deere.
If you can't make it GO... make it SHINY
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2020 at 8:38am
Here is what I've figured out on this front. Going to shoot for about 18,000 plants per acre pop. We will see how it goes and adjust accordingly in the future if necessary. The op manual for my soybean planter, (800 cyclo) has a fantastic chart in it. It gives the seed spacing for different populations and row widths. 36" rows and 18,000 per acre works out to about 9.5" spacing. Looks like trial and error until I get close. Hopefully I'll get some pics of this thing in the dirt.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 2:19pm
Here's a little update on this planter. I bought it from Don Bradley three years ago, (I think). He asked me how I was going to haul it home. My big trailer was tied up so I said snowmobile trailer. Well, he took it apart so it would fit. Wound up hauling it on my uncle's car trailer so it wouldn't have needed to come apart but hindsight you know. It came with a parts planter too. So for about the last year and a half it's been taking up a bay in the garage. Decided this year I'm getting this thing together and out of here!

It will be a nice tribute to Don to plant my sweetcorn with it.
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 4:24pm
Mike,
 Very nice! Don would be tickled too!
Thanks for posting the picture.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 4:56pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Here's a little update on this planter. I bought it from Don Bradley three years ago, (I think). He asked me how I was going to haul it home. My big trailer was tied up so I said snowmobile trailer. Well, he took it apart so it would fit. Wound up hauling it on my uncle's car trailer so it wouldn't have needed to come apart but hindsight you know. It came with a parts planter too. So for about the last year and a half it's been taking up a bay in the garage. Decided this year I'm getting this thing together and out of here!

It will be a nice tribute to Don to plant my sweetcorn with it.

I planted 25--30 acres of corn every year in the 1950-1970 years with my WD and that exact model planter. Got in trouble when one split boot got blocked up and had one row of corn missing for a few rows. Sold it about 3 yrs ago to a Mennonite church organization, it went to a country in Africa. Had it hanging on the wall in the upstairs of the barn for many years.
Dose this ever bring back good memories!

Edited by nella(Pa) - 17 Apr 2020 at 5:17pm
nella(Pa) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nella(Pa) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 5:12pm
Originally posted by IBWD MIke IBWD MIke wrote:

Here is what I've figured out on this front. Going to shoot for about 18,000 plants per acre pop. We will see how it goes and adjust accordingly in the future if necessary. The op manual for my soybean planter, (800 cyclo) has a fantastic chart in it. It gives the seed spacing for different populations and row widths. 36" rows and 18,000 per acre works out to about 9.5" spacing. Looks like trial and error until I get close. Hopefully I'll get some pics of this thing in the dirt.

That population will give you a nice stand. I liked 9-10 inches between stalks with 30" rows, always had nice sweetcorn. Be sure to have good weed control.

Edited by nella(Pa) - 17 Apr 2020 at 5:25pm
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Apr 2020 at 9:16pm
Mike, on page 33 in my manual has the chart to set the seed spacing up if your don't have this I'll try and get  picture of it if you need it. my manual is for rear-mounted drill planter form tm-18c. HTH Kenny L.

Edited by Kenny L. - 17 Apr 2020 at 9:17pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 7:51am
Originally posted by Kenny L. Kenny L. wrote:

Mike, on page 33 in my manual has the chart to set the seed spacing up if your don't have this I'll try and get  picture of it if you need it. my manual is for rear-mounted drill planter form tm-18c. HTH Kenny L.

Kenny, that would be great! Page 33 of my manual has a chart of "commonly used seed plates".

I may get this thing out of the shed and on the WD I'm going to use to plant with. Hopefully get some seed in the boxes and check the spacing.

I'm really ready for warm weather!
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Apr 2020 at 8:19am
Mike send you a pm
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 9:46am
Got this thing out and mounted on the tractor Saturday. Due to limited options on the gearing my population is going to be a little higher than I wanted but I'm going to try it. Have a little seed left from last year, going to plant a couple rows and see how it goes. Also did a little work on the All Crop Drill. Want to seed down a new waterway, I think it should be just the ticket for such work.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2020 at 10:47pm
Mike do you know what gears you want, I've same that I may let go of.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 8:53am
Kenny, the drive gear I have is 12-15 tooth. Driven gear has 7-10-14 tooth. If you have gears with different tooth count I would be interested.

I planted 4 rows yesterday, will be interesting to see the spacing. It is last years seed so germination could be an issue. I need to order some new. After all the hours getting this thing ready it probably only took two minutes to plant.
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 9:51am
Mike, I'll check and see what I've and get back to you.
rw View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 10:03am
That machine is simply awesome compared to what planters are today!
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2020 at 2:22pm
When you get it working right Mike, take some good pics of how the chains go on it.  I'm trying to make one planter out of two and I know I need to buy some gear/sprocket chains, but first I need to know where they run to.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2020 at 2:04pm
Ted, here is a pic of the drive chain, It's routed the way shown in the book, I think. Hope this helps.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic