This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Jul 2020 at 10:42pm
when i put insulation under my floor in my Astro building, i put 2 inch hard foam (4x8) sheets in next to the outside walls, laid them long ways so it was insulated 4 ft into the building. there is 4 inches of concrete on top of it. have never had any settling there. been there since 1996. was always told that the frost will penetrate up to 4 ft inside under the walls of a building. the concrete i have in there has fiberglass strands in it, has never cracked. you may not hafta put insulation in in the center of the building, unless you put heat tubes in. 
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 6:04am
well it does look nice....on the ground. nice and HEAVY !
buy a couple boxes of E7018AC. That's the ONLY rod I use  and have same welder. EASY to use, consistent and never fails in 25+ years.
Be sure the box has AC on the end, it's designed FOR AC welders. 7018 is for DC .

You'll need to add some grease zerks and a trust washer on the btm really helps. though that'd be $$$ for sure due to weight load.
 just be safe erecting it !!! and no heavy loads until 2 months after you pour the concrete.

I think McMaster Carr sells them.have a look at the chart for sizes, weights,dimensions...

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jul 2020 at 9:12pm
Jay, Shameless and AC Folks,
 Thanks for the advice and support. I havent got the pricing on the exterior foam frost barrier work but am pretty sure I want to do that to reduce the chances of frost penetration.
I spent most of the day putzing with the "low steel" on the jib boom fabrication. Amazing how this stuff sucks up the time. Was very hot in the sun, so there were several breaks in the shade. Have all of the pieces laid out and fit. Am going to bolt the top  support frame to the main beam. I can weld it solid if needed. 

Have a bunch of moves to make one this proposed crane tomorrow. Will try to get it bolted and tack welded together so I can pick it and move it to the weld shop.

More shots of steel in the driveway:

This is not very clear since I have a lot of clamps and things to set this up for fit and tack welding. Lots of tripple and quad checking!

A little cleaner view of the pivot end:

Holes where upper brace support attaches to the running rail:

Have intermediate vertical brace fabed for the 4'6" distance from the pivot:

Grease zerks are a great idea too!
I have two rear axle bearings from WD series I would like to use  as pivot bearings! May look at those again tomorrow.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Jul 2020 at 9:16pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2020 at 9:17pm
Folks,
 Burned some hours on the low steel again today. For some reason the moves dont get made unless I do them! Humm?

Trolley stops:

Pivot assembly:

Channel for mounting to the upright column.

Had something chew my pant leg off. Dang its rough out there in the real world!:)
 I need a bunch of those Allis tapered shims for the bolts to seat flat. Need 14 of those!

Oh and I hooked up my little Lincoln 225 tomb stone welder and it works. Thanks to friend Gary for loaning me his silo cord and a plug for the welder that matched. Burned a little 6011 stick for a test. Its been a while since I did stick welding. Just like falling off a bike! 

Should have the building materials tomorrow afternoon. Woo Hoooo!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Jul 2020 at 9:23pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 7:54am
Chris, those 'tapered shims' are still available new. Not sure where you buy them, McMaster-Carr maybe? We use them at work when working on,,,,,,,,,,Hoists.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 5:50pm
These?

I didn't have any need for them but the other day I was curious if they could be found, and sure enough...
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 6:26pm
yeesh I got 2 big coffee cans full of them, used  maybe 4 or 5 of them in 20 years.
I can't give them away ( covid19 boarder thing), can't get a penny a piece at yard sale ( covid 19 no gatherings) so they keep collecting dust....

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2020 at 8:32pm
Folks,
 I guess I will whittle some tapered washers from a chunk of matching I beam,

We got a partial delivery of materials today, but the poles are delayed. So nothing will start till those get here.

Also worked on the jib crane system:

Nice to do a little stick welding for a change too!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jul 2020 at 12:38am
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 12:31am
Just like the old TV ketchup ad, "Anticipation!"
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 1:56am
hey John...i know where there's a bunch of lumber stacked if ya want sum...bring yer Freightliner!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 6:19am
Originally posted by wjohn wjohn wrote:

These?

I didn't have any need for them but the other day I was curious if they could be found, and sure enough...
That's them.

Chris, what size do you need? I might be able to 'find' some. Wouldn't be a big deal to send some your way.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 7:26am
Mike, Folks,
 Thanks for the offer on the washers. Those tapered washers will need to be custom fit due to holes being out of alignment on the beams and such. I layed out and drill half of them, of course the hole is in the wrong place so I will have to shave some more off the one side. Yep just about the way I do things!
 Trying to come up with a easy way to clean and paint this tube and beam assembly?
 Probably just brute force and a wire cup brush. slather on some primer and get on with life!
Here is that welder I used. It purred right along. I was impressed! 

Did any one pick up on the origin of that piece of channel that I used?? :)

Also considering various options for the " bearings" or bearing material.  My neighbor used simple nylon cutting board material for his bearings and it has worked fine for years. Sounds almost to easy to be true. We need to make it a little more challenging than that!

At our local tractor club grounds we have barley thrashing day today. Since we are not building a building, I guess that will have to fill in the afternoon. Will try to get some pictures too!

Hope things are good in Orange land! Thanks for checking on me!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2020 at 4:45pm
re: tapered washers.. saw a guy needing a few,so he took a piece of iron pipe and cut with a thin bladed angle grinder...2 cut = 2 washers. He'd done that trick a LOT cuz the 1st 2 were PERFECT for the job.

re: welder. nice classic 'tombstone' with newer cables( no grommets in holes so be careful !). E7018AC only rod I use..,reminds me gotta make a 2by5by3 workbench tomorrow BEFORE the sun gets too high. Dang 90*F and humid IN the garage.....

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2020 at 6:32pm
Jay,
 We need picture of the work bench!

Yea I should have went and got some rod. But no! I just use what I got with the welder. I will pick some up when I get this set up in the proposed shop!

Some pictures of the proposed jib crane fab work. So I wanted to have some type of bearings for the pivot points. A while ago I was looking at the large final drive bearings from a WD. Figured I better figure this detail out before this thing was in the air!
 So noodled out the fit. The race needed to be raised about .06 inches for clearance, so the bearing can rotate.
 Whittled out two 1/8 thick shims, with hole for the bearing. Mig welded these to the outer race. 
Now to align the race with the pivot pin. This didnt have to be extremely accurate. But I found a washer that fit the I.D of the bearing and the O.D. of a socket. Then another socket bolted to that, to act as a pilot. Crude but pretty effective. Since nothing is going to fit in the center of the bearing, it could be off a tad and still should function. 
Welded the race/ spacer to the support stubs. 
backing up a little here was my crude design:

The alignment of the bearing with the pivot pin.

Welded in place, Dont look at my welds too close! That was some small 6011 rod at about 75 on the dial. Went in a little hot!

Set up on my sawhorses by my nice neighbor again for cleaning and painting.

The "wings are what I will use to run 2 x 4's to the ground for getting the pipe plumb.

The swing beam and upper support fully welded: Just need wire brushed and primed.

The tappered washers, yea not perfect but should work just fine. I like that better than tightening bolts down at a angle.

The old man in command central (our old camper). Was a great place to turn on the central air and take a couple hour nap, while the rain came through today.
Not sure when I am going to shave? Still my way of protesting, I just forgot what it was!:)

Looking forward to tomorrow when I find out when we might get the glulam posts to actually build a building!

By the way this pressure treated wood issue sounds like it may get worse in the near future. Glad I have a pile setting here. Hope I have enough!

Also picked up 9 sheets (4x8) of 2 inch foam for using as insulation under the cement. only need another 100 of them!:)

Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jul 2020 at 12:40am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jul 2020 at 8:49am
Chris,
     Looks like you are making progress on the boom project; looks pretty substantial and well thought out. Hope you get all your building materials collected.  I don't think you will have any shortage of work for quite a while. Just stay safe. Russell.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 6:42am
Folks,
Builder picked up the posts yesterday. I keep learning. These glulam posts are nice and straight and true. They are made of three 2 x 6 boards, bottom is pressure treated then the uppers are std. Laminated and fingerjointed together then machined to 4-1/8 x 5-1/4.
So the pole lay out was completed and the batter boards setup and the proposed building extremes layed out and squared.
Neighbor came over from his building project and took time to drill the 26 holes, 18 inch daiameter for the poles.
Builder team ( i guess that includes me) cleaned out the loose dirt in the holes. Mixed and poured 3, 60 lb. bags of cement in 26 holes. Ran out of cement, so I will pick up some more this morning and get the other two poured today. 
Poles will be set tonight. 
The the plan is to pour a dry bag of cement around each post to tie in the piece of rebar that is through the base of each post.
We move forward.
Amish sawmill call about the hemlock material for the wainscoting. I pushed them out a week since I dont need it yet.
The trusses are due any day next week. So lots of moves to make.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jul 2020 at 12:27am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:16am
yeesh the posts aren't SQUARE ????

please be careful when setting them, be a real bummer if a few got set wrong...

ac45dave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac45dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 10:50am
Chris, that post setup is about dead on what morton buildings used when I put my shed up 24 years ago.They did the cement and rebar that way also.You're on your way now buddy.Thumbs UpThumbs UpThis is going to be fun to watch just like all your projects.
54 wd-45gas ; 56 wd-45d N/F w/fact p/s ; 63 d-17 sIII N/F gas ; 60 D14 N/F ; 67 d-17 sIV N/F gas ; 63D15 sII W/F; 39rc#667 ; 2021 massey 4710 fwa ; gravely 2 wheel tractors
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2020 at 7:31pm
Chris,
Looks like your fishing time in the near future may be limited???

Jim

Edited by hd1937 - 21 Jul 2020 at 7:35pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 12:17am
Hey there is Dave and Jim!
Folks,
 Yes very similar to the Morton building pole set up. This builder worked for them at one time too. Seems like a good post foundation. Posts are in. Thanks to friend Matt H for coming down and doing a lot of shoveling to help fill in the holes. 

I took the GG boys to Home Depot and picked up 29 more bags of cement. Mixed 6 bags and loaded the last two holes this morning at 11:00. By 5:00 when we set the poles they were good and stiff.

Here we have the west posts set, working on north end.

Some folks just dont like this type of construction. I guess I do. I plan to keep the water away from the building and I think we will be fine for many years.

Me in the Persian orange of course: 

Last pole! It was a good evening. I left the heavy lifting to the young guys. 
Everything looks as I expected, with the overheads in the correct locations. 

Yes lots of moves to make now on this project!

Thanks for checking in on me. 

I am cleaning and painting the three major parts for the jib crane while I am resting. Which as Matt says happens often!:) Thanks to Julia, Matt's girl friend for taking some pictures too. 

Tomorrow the framing starts. if weather holds. Walk doors and window locations will be important. I have the window locations but the walk doors are still up in the air. Thinking of putting the hinge side against a post?

Getting additional cost on overhead doors. Wayne Dalton brand. Good  overhead doors are not a cheap date. But if you have bought anything lately you know that too!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jul 2020 at 12:23am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 12:48am
Originally posted by jaybmiller jaybmiller wrote:

yeesh the posts aren't SQUARE ????

please be careful when setting them, be a real bummer if a few got set wrong...

Jay,
 My luck, I would get some in the wrong hole or turned the wrong way too. 
These are a engineered pole. I like the features. Nice and true. 
I let the builder and his son work the posts into position. I would call it "brute strength and awkwardness" played a large role in getting them set. Then it was a dance to get them plumb and in line. Lot of credit to the layout and the neighbor drilling the 18 inch holes. No adjustments had to be made. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 22 Jul 2020 at 12:52am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 5:56am
It GREAT to see the poles up ! Now you need to have PATIENCE and measure 3-4-10 times at EVERY step to be 100% sure the 'numbers' are bang on. The better they are the better the building. The Shop was built in 1963 and still straight, plumb and true.That 's the shop I used to own...sigh....oh well...
Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2020 at 8:13pm
Folks,
Trial fit.

View from the road: Building is 67 feet off center of road.

Worked a hour or so this evening and got rained out: A few of the top stringers in place.

Grand son was over and he will order the materials to get the 130 feet of 3 inch condiut in place for the main power to come to the building. Also will have condiut for the phone service too. May have that in place by early next week.

Working on details like where the walk doors will go. Think I have that noodled out.
Regards,
 Chris

Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 2:14am
Now that the poles are in place and you stand back and look at it you realize that it not as big as you thought it was going to be then you get the hoof and walls cover and that is when you say to yourself I should've went BIGGER I know that what happen when I build mine and think that what everyone says to them self when it build, but knowing you you'll make do with what you've. Thanks for all the pictures 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 5:19am
Kenny L said what i was thinkin...lol.. though once you add on a couple 'side sheds' and extend the back, it'll almost be big enough.......
I'm finding out that bigger isn't always better though.... I got a LOT of 'stuff' to deal with in my downsizing.... oh well...

When you drop conduit in for phone ,leave a rope in to pull high speed cable or if from house, pull both at the same time. Also a CAT5 cable ( good for alarm system and internet). While you may not ever use it...it costs next to nothing NOW to install, PITA later on... one of those woulda,shoulda,coulda things......
Be sure to take LOTS of pictures ,all sides... AND save them on your PC and a flashdrive ! I never backedup a 'photoshoot' and lost 100+ pix off the camera when it 'crashed'.

progress is GREAT !!!

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 8:13am
Looking good Chris! Sharp looking truck too.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 11:47am
Well 
As you know I am easliy distracted. Had a whole paragraph written went to do somethin came back and it did not like me posting it. Anyway I added a 25 x 25 building as I increased the building twice. Length and width. Ran out of room to go any bigger. All under one roof no lean too's on this one!
 Also have the 16 x 24 foot storage area up stairs too. Hope I can pack it full!
 Electrical conduit and main disconnect arrive at noon. Will try to dig for that tomorrow.
Thanks for checking on me!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 1:09pm
re: All under one roof no lean too's on this one!

I'll give you 2 months..... then we'll hear about the 'new additon'.....

re: Hope I can pack it full!
You won't have a problem... ALL your long .lost family and friends will do that for you !!!

cheers
Jay

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 1:23pm
My original building was 40' X 34' then added a 40' X 24' addition and then added another 20' in length and 10' in width making the whole building 100' X 34' and it was packed till I sold a couple of pieces. this all took place in about a 20 year span
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2020 at 6:06pm
After seeing your truck inside I agree with the others. You need to add 25 ft on the north end.

Edited by hd1937 - 23 Jul 2020 at 6:08pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 56>
  Share Topic