This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 5:01pm
No the WC is in good hands with Matt the guy that bought my TD6. He has it running much better. I dodged a bullet there for sure!
Shuffled orang tractors in the shop today to get my truck in the wash bay. Trying to get things ready for maple season, and I want to park my truck and sap gathering equipment ( on the back) I in the shop.
Picked up two stainless top work tables for the new kitchen. Things progress and the plot thickens!:)
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2022 at 7:13pm
AC Folks,
 The thought of a trap door on my loft stairway has been in my head since before the building was erected. Well Wednesday I went to the hardware and picked up cable, eye bolts, and pulleys to lift the door. Crawling in the tight attic space, balanced on the trusses. I was able to noodle out the path for the cable, get the eye bolts in place and run the cable from the trap door to the weight, which was two 25 lb pulling weights, from the WZ. (note the Allis tie in to keep this thread legal)
I had to get bigger pulleys Thursday and reposition them to allow the cable to come through the steel ceiling material at a better location/ angle. 
Added luan plywood for the bottom of the hinged trap door, then insulation inside the frame. Will top with 3/8 plywood at some point.
I will try to get some pictures. I think it's going to work OK, and maybe save a little bit of fuel since the loft is a storage area for now. Just another project inside the project.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Feb 2022 at 7:17pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Feb 2022 at 7:45pm
Chris, we're absolutely going to need pictures. Closing that off and insulating it should definitely help a little on the heating bill.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 5:14pm
Wjohn, Allis folks,

See what I can dig up on the trap door. May have to take some?
Not trap door just toys in the shop:

Found one of the unfinished hinged loft door in up position, with the cable coming through the steel stairway ceiling. About 40 feet  of 3/16 cable used. Still need to find some nice looking weight. Maybe chunks of 5 inch round steel bar, stacked to get just the right weight combo? Painted Allis Persian Orange #1!

The trap door with the additional support beam in the center. That will be the lifting for the door. If you look close, down at the bottom of the stairs you can see where the weight will be to raise/ balance the door. About 50 lbs seems to let the door be placed any where in its travel. So it won't be slamming up or down. It does take a good push for either up or down motion. Which may be about right. I don't think the great grand kids can get it trouble with it?:)

This is in the attic where I had to set the pulleys and thread the cable from one side of the truss to the other side to move the hanging weight as close to the corner as I could. The insulation is not as itchy as the pink stuff but I should have had a mask on. I wanted to get this trap door working while I still had more direct access to the attic. Just opened up a section of insulation through the room trusses and stepped into the attic from the loft floor.
Once the walls are in place this project would be harder for the old man to get in there many times!

I will get a few more pictures. This actually is coming out ok and should work too. Went up in the loft today and it was probably at least 5 degrees cooler, with the trap door closed. Still have some trim to add to seal up the crack around the trap door a little more.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 Feb 2022 at 5:36pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 8:15am
Allis folks,
 A couple shop projects:
This is way off topic, but somehow pertains to general repairs and paint work that could be used even on Allis items. Also the first large paint job in the shop using the compressor. Probably have paint over spray on the floor somewhere too?:) I did hang a tarp to close off the two rooms. Didnt want too much over spray on the Allis tractors!

So I had two items that needed attention, a storage cabinet and a old Hobart mixer. The cabinet had some surface rust and the base had a weak spot. I reinforced the base with some scrap steel. Sanding and scuffing just to clean and prep for a coat of new paint. Nothing real special here. I chose the Industrial Acrylic Enamel with some reducer and hardener added. A quart of battle ship gray for both projects.

The Hobart needed a new coat of paint too. It had been in a school probably in the late 40's? I have had it for 10 years. It had a couple layers of old paint, so the DA and die grinder with scotch brite pads,  smoothed out the bumps and nicks. 
It has been a while since I had painted anything, so its good to practice a little, and see if equipment is ready?
Temp in the room was 60 degree F.
Harbor Freight HVLP gun to apply the paint. Good respirator used, as this stuff is not good for you. 
Before:
(in this picture you can see the door for the air compressor room, I have not made a exit hole for the air line yet. but the sound is reduced with the door almost closed. It does get warm in there. Air flow is questionable with my crude venting.

After:

Before: (shelves and cabinet)

After:

Oh yea we got a few runs drips and errors. But this is fine for this work and a coat of paint hides a multitude of sins! I just love how this stuff is ready to use in 24 hours! Assembly will happen today as the temp is in the teens, way to cold to do much maple stuff outside!

Going to order some stainless feet from McMaster Carr for the Hobart to keep it up a little.
Also similar feet for the air compressor.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Feb 2022 at 8:27am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 8:26am
Sure makes them look good. Great Job.
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 8:57am
The Hobart Mixer looks good.  I worked for Hobart for about 14 years, and the mixers were moved from the Troy Ohio to Hillsboro Ohio operations while I was still there, where they are still being manufactured today.   At the time I left, Hobart was the #1 seller of commercial mixers, with Hobart USED mixers being #2 ahead of any other competitor.  There was a contest held for the oldest running hobart mixer still in use, and if I remember correctly it was from 1919.   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 3:32pm
Greg, Folks,
 The old Hobart is a stout machine. Nice to bring it back to look better with a fresh paint job.

The loft stairs. Fully up:

I think this is 1/8 cable. Running through a plastic pipe fitting:

Attachment to insulated door:

Mid position, and weights at bottom:

Mid position view from below:

Fully closed:

Current weight prototype, Thinking a Allis crank might be about right??:)

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 14 Feb 2022 at 3:39pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 10:27pm
You just keep coming up with projects for yOUR shop, Chris, Good work!
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2022 at 12:45pm
  Looks like it works great

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2022 at 8:38am
Folks,
Found my weights for the counter balance system. My local fab shop has slug drops from a laser burn out job that should be able to be drilled and stacked to get the correct balance when the door is complete.
Hope things are good in Orange Land.
 We are getting ready to make maple syrup again this spring. Rain today.
 Regards,
 Chris
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2022 at 3:21pm
Chris, are they doing the maple tour thing again this year?  Might have to do the day trip again, inspect your progress for these guys, and enjoy the great time and day!!!  Please link some info if possible. 

Thanks Dave
Dave in PA
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 6:50pm
Dave, Folks,
 Yes the  19th annual North West PA Maple Taste and Tour Will be held Sat and Sunday 10:00 to 4:00 on March 12 and 13th. 19 sugarhouses to visit.
www.pamaple.org for information.

We did get all our taps in Friday and today. Now need the weather and time to gather and boil.

Regards,
 Chris
DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2022 at 7:33pm
Thumbs Up
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Mar 2022 at 6:12pm
Folks,
 As mentioned in another thread I have taken over zone 1 of the shop and converted it into a kitchen for making our maple products. Not sure how long this will last but it is very comfortable working in a tee shirt in there. 
The addition of the loft hinged, weighted, door helps keep the room warm too.

Added some new stainless counters:

moving and re arranging equipment:

Regards,
 Chris

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 10:58am
Appears that you're right on top of the syrup situation, as usual. Great looking kitchen; roomy, organized and clean. Always enjoy your pictures.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Mar 2022 at 1:41pm
  OH OH ,lost Zone 1 in garage, time for a addition 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 7:38pm
Allis Folks,
Thanks guys!

Took the 32 for a ride, was just to nice not to get it out!

Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2022 at 11:40pm
Nice videos, Chris!
Have you finished maple syrup season?
You need to get a set of mud flaps for the 32.  I'm thinking something with the old Ford oval on it but I suspect Shamelss will suggest nekid womin!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2022 at 6:56pm
John, Folks,
 Just wrapping the 2022 maple season up now. Weather is way too warm! Should be going another two weeks.
Lines are rinsed. Start picking up the roadside lines in a couple days.
The truck could use a set of flaps. I looked at them on line and found a set for Ford Dually trucks that may work. The scale seems about right. Yea maybe I will order them. Ford logo would be good, but maybe too flashy?
On the shop: I did get the weights for raising the trap door. Cooper calls it the pirate door!
3/8 thick plates about 5 inch in dia will be encased in a piece of 6 inch PVC pipe with caps on both ends. At least that's the plan, we will see when that happens!:)
I am wondering about a dehumidifier in the shop? Dont know what the humidity is now but it might not hurt? Only problem is I have way too many doors!
Still need a bunch of storage for things in the shop. No clue what I am going to do there? 
You coming to visit this year?
Regards,
 Chris

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 8:27am
Chris,
     A dehumidifier might be a good idea. The first summer for our "toy building" 3 yrs. ago it ran a bunch. I thought it took most of that summer for the moisture in the concrete to evaporate; at least that is my take on it. 32 x 56 ft.  We have a 40 pint size and it took 4-5 gallons per day out of the air.  The second summer not nearly as much. We keep enough heat in the building to keep it above freezing in the winter and the humidity stays around 50%. Don't have the doors open much. So far we haven't found any rust on anything.
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2022 at 8:36am
If you get one and get tired of dumping the 'tank'...most of them have a way to hook a hose to 'em and directly into a drain, or outside... peace
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2022 at 11:05pm
Pirate door... I like it LOL
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2022 at 5:54pm
The shop Kitchen!:

I may try a dehumidifier in the near future. Thanks for the suggestions.
 Have to work on that weight for the pirate door too!

Shop was comfortable as I worked on the side boards for the 32 Ford dump truck last night:

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 8:00am
Folks,
 The work thing is not an issue any more, the real issue is getting off the couch and doing something! Anything!
The weighted "pirate door" has been looming up in front of me for a while. Had most of the parts for the improved system weight balance system. 
Here are the weights, steel plate at 1.8 lb each, slugs from a burn out job at local machine shop. Cost = maple syrup (bartered):

Then the weight can, 6 inch PVC with cap and eye bolt through one of the plates on each end cap:

Opps had 75 lb in it and that was too much, removed some weights to 55 lb and that was about right:

Door down, closed, weight up:

mid position:

Looks like its going to work about right, door remains where it is stopped. Need to get a handle on the bottom of the door, to allow it to be pulled down as you come down the stairs. Cheryl likes the looks better so always good to make the wife happy too!:)

Worked most of the day in zone 1, (new kitchen area) Very nice at 68 degrees! Amount of propane used this season? Well we are not going to talk about that!:)

Hope things are good in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 2:41pm
Looks like a great operation for a door lift & closer. And yes a happy wife is a happy life.

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 7:42am
You're doing great Chris!  That 'shop' looks WAY too nice to work in. 
You might get it dirty! LOL
GREAT job on the 'Pirate Door'.

"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 7:03pm
Ted, Folks,
Thanks. The details can get to you!
 I added this garage door sealing strip to the pirate door sides. I am trying to train it to bend over when the door is closed:

Started to open the pile of hemlock lumber today for the loft walls and was very disappointing to find a lot of mold on the boards. I did several things wrong in hind site.
 Main thing is, I did not have anywhere near enough air moving through the sticker-ed lumber.
I am going to see if I can salvage it, but it may end up as fire wood for making syrup!
Dang this just irritates me that I didn't stop and do something earlier when I seen indications of mold growth! I may try to clean with detergent and then power wash the lumber. Worth a shot. Keeping my expectations really low!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Mar 2022 at 7:13pm
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2022 at 7:56pm
Chris, I can't remember what the name was but back before I pull the pin I was redoing a floor in one of the portable lad and under the flooring in was covered with mold and the guy the company hired to help with the job went to Menards and got a qt. of (I think it was called mold killer) stuff and we spray it on the mold and left for the weekend came back Monday and the mold was all but gone clean it up and spray again left the rest off the day and come back the next day and it was all gone, you may want to look into to that.   
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2022 at 7:23am
Kenny,
 Thanks! Might try some of that too.
I guess if I stayed on the couch more none of this would happen!:)
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4849505152 56>
  Share Topic