This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 9:16pm
Folks,
 Picked up a used DeWalt slider saw today in NE Ohio.
Will see how this works out?

Amish saw mill called and the hemlock for the interior will be ready early next week. So this may be real handy.

Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 4:49am
You'll like that saw, I bought a Rigid SM 12" blade saw, very similar to that, it will do a straight cut through a 12-1/2" board, the Rigid does 13-1/2".  the Dewalt would have been my second choice, had I not found the Rigid...

If you want to make it better, look for a Rigid MSUV saw stand, best and easiest saw cart/stand!Thumbs Up
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:31am
Originally posted by DiyDave DiyDave wrote:

You'll like that saw, I bought a Rigid SM 12" blade saw, very similar to that, it will do a straight cut through a 12-1/2" board, the Rigid does 13-1/2".  the Dewalt would have been my second choice, had I not found the Rigid...

If you want to make it better, look for a Rigid MSUV saw stand, best and easiest saw cart/stand!Thumbs Up

X 2 on the Ridgid stand. 

My son-in-law that is a contractor (and a Bosch or Milwaukee man) bought a Ridgid saw stand after seeing mine. He loves it. He says one man can easily load/unload in a truck or trailer and setup or take down the saw with this stand.

I also "adapted" one of these stands for my Ridgid planer. It sets up and takes down in seconds and works great. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:36am
Thanks guys,
 I will look for one of the stands. These are the ones that colapse and can roll around right? Any pictures?
I will keep my expectations low on this saw as the motor just seems not quite right? May have had a hard life? I blew it out with compressed air. It runs, but sounds a little odd and seemed to get warm very quick? That's the issue buying used stuff.
Just ordered a set of brushes for it. I see some sparking in there at the comutator/ brush area. Will try to save it!:)
Now to find a good table saw too.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 May 2021 at 7:04am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 6:48am
RIDGID Mobile Miter Saw Stand-AC9945 - The Home Depot

I also recommend the Ridgid table saw.

I have had very good luck purchasing "blemished" Ridgid tools from Direct Tool. I don't know if they still have it, but they had $7 shipping on the whole order when I bought my 13" planer and stand. Unfortunately, they don't sell everything online. I just looked and there are Direct Tool stores in Grove City and Lancaster PA.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:11am
WF,
 Thanks! This should help me spend more money! That's what we do!:)
I like that stand, yes its on the list too.
 Regards,
 Chris
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:34am
That dewalt is a GREAT saw !  I have the 12" sliding compound mitre saw version. Needed 2 parts..been cutting for years with it. well until 'she' decided it should be in HER basement workshop.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 7:43am
Jay, Folks,
 Yes this is the sliding compound version. I have a nice Dewalt 12 inch but it is not the slider type. I have no idea why I did not buy one of those instead? Anyway I think this one will cut my 8 inch hemlock at a angle to match my inside ceiling pitch and up my stairway.
Off to see what trouble I can get into today!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 13 May 2021 at 7:44am
Kenny L. View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kenny L. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2021 at 9:46am
Chris, I've the vary same saw have been using it for over 25 years now and have luck out and only had to replace the blade but it isn't use daily only when I've done projects, I've done 22.5* cut with it on 2x10 to build the deck from hell that the better half though she had to have. You'll like it. 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2021 at 6:04am
Kenny,
 Thanks! 
I didnt think it was that old. But times keeps rolling by too. 
Folks,
The brushes I ordered are the coil spring type and that is not whats in this motor. i took the cover off and removed the brushes. They are still in good shape. I should take the motor apart and clean the commutator. Still getting some sparks especially when it stops? 
Have a new cord coming for it.

Probably will pick up a new blade also.

One of those Rigid rolling support frames would be real nice! Should get two, one for my other Dewalt Miter saw too! 
Table saw is next on the list! Will browse Facebook marketplace.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 6:26am
Folks,
Will try to pick up the interior siding lumber today. May get a picture or two.
Weather has been nice. Great to throw the doors open in the shop, and blast some Chris Ledoux!
Regards,
 Chris
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 2:58pm
Yes this weather sure is nice calling for the 80s later in the week that will be a little warm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Folks,
Will try to pick up the interior siding lumber today. May get a picture or two.
Weather has been nice. Great to throw the doors open in the shop, and blast some Chris Ledoux!
Regards,
 Chris

Did I hear a request?

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 8:53pm
t, Dave, 
Thanks! I had Pandora tuned to Chris Ledoux all afternoon! Great country music!
It was a good day in the shop. I appreciate Jim coming over to help me with the hemlok lumber. Traveled about 30 miles south to Amish saw mill and picked up a good load of 8 inch wide x 8 ft and a pile 8 inches by 12 ft long lumber.
Ready to load:

Probably near 8K (weight) of lumber:

Jim on the F40:

Prototype of wall material:

Thinking of putting it up green and letting it age and dry on the wall.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 May 2021 at 9:37pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:35pm
Chris, do the Amish have their own standing trees to cut or do they buy the trees and have delivered to their mill ?  Hope their price has not jumped 400% like Lowes and Menards !!
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2021 at 9:39pm
Steve,
 They buy logs so they get cost increases from the sawyers.
Price did go up some, I dont have the Price per board feet numbers. 
Regards,
 Chris
Greg (Hillsboro, OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Greg (Hillsboro, OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:00am
Chris, if you put it up green, will there be any issue with shrinkage as it dries, leaving gaps?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 6:29am
Greg,
Yes this material is going to shrink some for sure. The additional gap between the boards would be acceptable I think but if the board shrunk a inch on lenght that might be a issue in fitting the wall. I may spread them out and let them air dry for a while.
I still am debating the covering with like a poly clear coat. Also have to decide on the fastener type too. Would like to do a finish air nail, or a headed coated ring shank type? Screws would work too. Just a lot of them!:)
Weather is getting nice. Plenty that I can do and let the wood set for a month. I just get impatient!
Regards,
 Chris

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2021 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Greg,
Yes this material is going to shrink some for sure. The additional gap between the boards would be acceptable I think but if the board shrunk a inch on lenght that might be a issue in fitting the wall. I may spread them out and let them air dry for a while.
I still am debating the covering with like a poly clear coat. Also have to decide on the fastener type too. Would like to do a finish air nail, or a headed coated ring shank type? Screws would work too. Just a lot of them!:)
Weather is getting nice. Plenty that I can do and let the wood set for a month. I just get impatient!
Regards,
 Chris

Lengthwise shrinkage is minimal, they shrink width wise.  If you are concerned that they are a little green, nail them once per board, in the middle of each board.  I assume you are putting them up vertically!Wink
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 7:39am
I really like how you wrapped the corner and lower stairs. Definitely worth the time it took after all the other detail you put in!

Planed boards came out great and I'm a bit jealous that you have access to Amish supplier so close!

Hopefully all went well at the grounds!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 10:29pm
Dave,
 Yes vertically. Thanks I was wondering about that shrinkage thing. Strange!
Stroken, 
How are the boys?
Thanks, the shop stair detail in steel. Yes I had in my head for a long time just had to get down and do it! 
The Amish guys do a great job. They are the new age old school workers in these types of jobs! I really like working with the hemlock material. Hope it makes a nice looking space!

Humm You got me on the grounds? Didnt remember saying anything about that? But we did mow the tractor show grounds last night. It was a awesome sunset.

I am easily distracted and friend Jim and I took a trip to look at a old truck.  A step back in time for sure! Might have a thread on that later maybe? Dont get me started!:) The owner is still wiping the drool marks off it!
Here is a peek:

I am going to bring Jim's Doodle Tug over to my shop so maybe we can get it running for the Ford feature tractor, at the show in July. Preface that with I know nothing about Model A engines!

So the hemlock:
I shuffled the boards around to have room between the stacks. Just didnt seem like enough air, and the wood is still wet. So I decided to sticker it. I used PEX tubing scraps till I ran out and have some scrap used sap tubing coming tomorrow night to do the rest. 
This should allow me to get on with life, and let this wood set for several weeks. Open the doors and let the wind dry it.
So its not going to be real exciting watching wood dry!

I also called my stain and wood coating expert and will have some samples of products coming for potential coverings for the hemlock inside my(our) shop. 

I did have a very nice breeze blowing through the door ways and got in a real good nap on the couch. Does that count for anything?

Found a pretty nice CA yesterday during adventures.  Called the owner and he is looking for a WD45. The CA has been painted recently. Has the Allis back blade. I probably shoul go drive it??:)

Always something! Have to get at the garden work too! Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 May 2021 at 6:43am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:29am
Chris, 
     You would look good on the seat of that CA. They are a nice little tractor.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 6:52am
Folks,
The CA owner wants $2500 for it.
Might go take it for a spin? Do I need it? NO!
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:49am
Don't you have an extra WD to trade for it?  It's close enough to a 45...
I think it is wise to dry the wood, you would have nothing but trouble getting it to look good if it didn't dry.  Everything else you have done on y(our) shop has been perfect, no need to get impatient now!
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 1:54pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

Don't you have an extra WD to trade for it?  It's close enough to a 45...
I think it is wise to dry the wood, you would have nothing but trouble getting it to look good if it didn't dry.  Everything else you have done on y(our) shop has been perfect, no need to get impatient now!

I agree there!  Yes as some may remember, I have seen "our" shop in person, and just a fine piece of craftsmanship!!   Leave the wood for next winter, and do it then!  Old you know who, might have something to do with it!  He likes PRETTY. lol

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 9:31pm
John, Dave,
Thanks! I have now stickered all the wood and can set it aside for a while and do some other things while it air dries. Cheryl helped me with re-stacking all the the 12 foot boards today! I doubt I will wait for winter but maybe 4- 6 weeks? Then coat and install the wall boards. By the way, the F40 fork lift is making easy work out of moving these stacks of lumber around in the shop! You guys were correct it is a good tool!

Brought Jim's Doodle TUG over to the shop today and we worked on it most of the afternoon. Starting to learn a little about the model A engines. Very neat! 

We had a nice cool breeze through the shop. In mid 80's temps outside. I dont want to think about any PRETTY!

We don't know the history of this unit, maybe a factory or warehouse material mover? Jim will add a pintel hitch for the nice cart that he has for it. Will make a great display at the featured FORD tractor show this July at Pioneer Steam and Gas Engine show. 

Jim and his machine. Hope to get it running soon. ( Jim used his forklift skills to push the TUG into zone 1 with the F40 too!) Dont look at my mess. I just have a pile of tools to sort through when we need something!Smile

Tractor pulls are being held and we plan to go to one this Saturday with a couple Allis tractors. Maybe the WD45, WZ and D17? Will try to get some pictures too.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 May 2021 at 9:36pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2021 at 11:39pm
We took the tour of the Ford plant in Dearborn in I think 1966, as that was the year of the Fairlane's  they were building.  I remember they had some little rigs that looked a lot like the one in y(our) shop, pulling carts with parts around the plant.  I thought they had Ford tractor engines in them but couldn't really hear them that well.  And the Model A and tractor engines sound a lot alike anyway.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 4:46am
I would wait on applying finish to green wood.  Get a moisture meter, and see what the actual moisture content is.  It needs to be 10% or less, to apply finish, IIRR...Wink
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 7:08am
Thanks guys! 
Must get off the couch and greet the day!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2021 at 8:15pm
Folks,
We started in again on Jim's Doodle Tug today. John S came out in his nice Model A Cabriolet and provided parts guidance and several good Ford stories! 

With lots of checking, changing parts and testing we got the Tug running and moving!
Jim working on the starter:

Jim taking it for a hot lap! The shop worked out good for this project. He just needed somewhere to get it in and tinker with it! He is going to switch it over to 12 volt battery and coil. May put a alternator on it at some point.

Here is the cart he is going to pull around with the tug.

I put the new traction booster guage on the WD45. Also put the new tach cable on the D17:

Next We loaded up the D17, the WZ and the WD45 to go to the tractor pulls in Hadely PA Saturday.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 May 2021 at 8:18pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4243444546 56>
  Share Topic