This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 1:22pm
Dave, 
Good pun for the night! Rocks in a Row Hall of fame is in Cleveland!:)

Mike,
 Yes that is the sought after IH #1 dump cart. I had to trade a Bolens garden tractor for it. It is on the list to restore it. But its down the project list, and still works real well in its work clothes. It is in really good condition with just surface rust.

Folks,
Grandson Nic arrived this morning with a nice turkey! We decided the shop needed to be broke in right with some blood.
This tom was 25 lb,  9-1/2 inch beard, and 1-1/8 long spurs!

He will mount the tail fan on a plaque with the beard and spurs.

Real nice having water, hot and cold in the shop too!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 1:58pm
Thought it was, I picked one like it up at an auction last August. Really nice original condition. Spent more than I wanted but they don't come around often!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 11:24pm
Mike,
Nice 782 also! Yea your cart is in great shape. The hub caps set it off really nice. You did good!

Here are a few pictures of Matt and I plowing He tried the 45 for a couple passes. He brought his TD6 which was my uncles tractor. I plowed a round with it too:

Back home and cleaned up a bit:

The Great grandsons seem to be attracted to the F40. All kinds of questions on what lever does what! I took the seat back to local shop to have the back recovered. 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 May 2021 at 11:30pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:50am
Thanks Chris, 782 no.2 is on the trailer bought the same day as the cart. 782 no.1 is the one hooked to the cart, favorite mowing tractor. That's why I bought no.2!

Looks like you've got the 45 and plow working great now.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 12:36pm
mike, 
Looks like you have a Cub Cadet problem too. Smile
I have used them for years for yard work around here too.
Regards,
Chris

wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2021 at 8:32pm
I like that TD6! I would've had a hard time letting it go. It's tough finding smaller crawlers in decent shape.
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 12:50am
John,
Yea dont know that I made the right move on that machine? It is a nicer machine without the loader assembly on it. The running gear is whooped. Matt has a good used running gear for it. I have regretted selling some things in life too.

Folks,
 Completed the fake 45's in the doorway for the 6 foot wide sliding doors, They came out nice:

Then completed the wainscoting around the air compressor room. So the truck bay is done.

Began work on zone 1 around the stairway. Decided to just do the wood siding all the way down the insides of the stairway walls instead of putting a small triangle of steel at the bottom. Just will trim out better and have a better feel.

Rainy off and on today, so good time to work in the shop.
Hope things are good out there in Orange Land!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2021 at 9:33pm
Folks,
 Stairs. Prototyping the wood around the entry corner. Need to maybe sand and finish the stairs at some point soon too??:

Heater and sink wall in zone 1, Removed and ready for steel layout:

Jim's F350 Dulley fits well in the truck bay:

He went and got the door track for me!  Price was right. Need to get a couple more rollers and should be good to go for the two 6 foot sliders:

Nic will order the 76 feet of LED lights for the low bay areas. That should be about it for lights on the ceiling. 

We used the jib crane to lift the three bottom plows and make some minor adjustments:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 May 2021 at 7:25am
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 5:47am
gee, I don't know... PUSHING a button to raise HEAVY things , jes doesn't seem right...
least not in my itty bitty 'shop'......
kinda happy to see a stain on the concrete, for ahwile I thought you'd never USE the shop as it's waaaay to purdy !!
Jealous Jay ( who else ....)
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:13am
Jay,
Welcome back! Yea the floor never got sealed so any oil makes a good blotch. That big one is from the F40 forklift loosing oil from the tilt cylinder, or the mast cylinder. 

The jib did not seem to have any issues. Haven't tested on it much yet. Nic has to drop the power down the side of the post from the ceiling. Will add a 110 outlet at a lower level also.
I have to get some short lifting straps too. Among many other things.

Folks,
Ok going to get into a area we have not discussed much yet. STORAGE!
I am terrible about putting tools away, Mainly because of the lack of storage. but would like to build some storage in the form of these general items that we all are familiar with.
Work benches, heavy duty, attach vice, grinder, drill press,
Under bench drawers, open close eaisly, rugged
Lower cabinets, with shelves
Upper storage cabinets, with shelves,
Paint storage area.
Tool storage zone.
If you have suggestions, post ideas and or pictures please. I am looking for any/ all ideas. What do you like/ dont like? What improvements would you make? I have in my head I will build these items to shop quality using rough cut lumber worked into shapes, designs that are durable and functional, robust features, Look good, ...... I know wood is expensive right now. 
Just a part of the future shop dream. Maybe If I had some of these things I would tidy up a bit more too.
You have seen the shop shell, now how do we outfit it with storage and work surfaces??

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 May 2021 at 7:14am
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:13am
Dang nice looking building.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 7:22am
Plummer, 
Thanks! It is starting to come together on the inside now too. One more room with the steel and then I will be ready for the hemlock on the upper portion of the rooms. That is supposed to be ready this month. 

Plan to add some color using other items on the walls? Maybe some Allis stuff?

Off to get a load of slabs for making syrup next spring. We had a hard frost last night. 
Need to check for propane usage. Lochinvar boiler was installed March 13th and has been heating the floor most days since then. It is not going to be free to heat the shop. but it sure is nice to work in there in a light shirt! Have been entertaining friends often, over hot coffee. 
Getting spoiled quickly!
 Looking forward to the lights in the rest of the building too.
Reminds me I need to pick up another roll of 12-2 wire.

Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:18pm
Yup, you are making great progress.  I hadn't even thought about tool storage, guess we will have to come up with some ideas for Y(our) shop!
Talking to my cousin yesterday, my travel planes are changing as our friends from Germany aren't coming for the 4th of July this year but my aunt is celebrating her 99th birthday on June 13th so I got tickets to fly back on June 9th coming home the 15th.  Hopefully we can still come and inspect y(our) shop at that time...
Cousin said the trees are taking their time leafing out this spring, same thing happening here in Sunny Colorado, had a cool, snowy April, trees were wise to wait!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2021 at 12:46pm
John,
 Sounds good. Just give me a heads up. Looking forward to meeting you too. Might have some of the wall coverings done! Heck I might have to sweep the place!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 1:25am
Folks,
A couple shots of the brake for the steel panels. The design cmed from a guy on the Maple Trader called Big Eddie. It is low cost but works well for these types of small jobs. It has 5 foot capacity. These are not good pictures. Sorry.

Not much done in the shop today. Grass mowing and wood cutting.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 07 May 2021 at 1:26am
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2021 at 9:47pm
I'm sure everyone has different ideas for storage/organization(ha). Well here's a couple shots from my mess.
What I like most is the tool cabinets under the bench. The work surface is 42" high, which is comfortable for me. Bench top drill press bolted to a corner. Parts washer is set on casters to move in and out from under bench. It becomes a paint table for small parts. Electrical outlets on wall and bench legs. My apologies for the clutter but all storage areas are full. Lesson here?

This cabinet I painted in IHC colors in memory of late FIL as he left us a Loboy and Super M. Mostly paint and oil. Should have doors on for safety but well you know. I have old kitchen wall cabinets I salvaged from kitchen remodel projects and hung them in other corners holding manuals, paint tools, and the like.

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 2:36am
Plummer,
Thanks! Yea my shop is always going to have issues. Thats just the way I work. You have a good work area! Thanks for the look into your world! Have to ask whats up with the Torino? P.M. me.

Folks,
I think I will for sure need under bench storage drawers and some wall cabinets also. 
The weather was yucky today. A little clean up of things outside and then most of the day in the shop, noodling out steel panels around the wall heater and the wash sink area.
Not exciting but another shot of this brake. It has been real handy to allow me to go around these inside and outside corners of the shop with the steel.

Here I am doing layout and fitting around LPG line, electrical outlet, water pipes, and drain line:

I call it the splash zone/ heat zone. Yea I have a zone problem!:)

Bracket for the heater, with custom spacers made from aztec (sp) material pucks.

This worked out good with the flex line connection, Just had to keep fiddling with the heater and pipes. Raised the heater up 1.5 inches so the outlet would be able to function:

Starting to close up the stairs and room a little:

The outlet to the right of the sink is a 50 amp outlet for range or welder?? Note the AC sign form Grandson Mike! Awesome! Heater is functional and its lower now so more comfortable to back up against if needed for a warm up!

Thanks for checking in on my(our) shop. I did get the east wall of this room complete too. Goes a lot quicker when you dont have to go around as many items.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 May 2021 at 8:04pm
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 1:59pm
Looks like a class room with a white board. Looking Great
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2021 at 8:21pm
tadams,
Thanks! Just hated to throw the white board out! 
Folks,
 Worked in the zone 1 area today on the low steel. 

Here is a panel with two bends, to fit in that area:

Some progress:

Down the home stretch:

This is the Dewalt shears for cutting metal. Works pretty good on cutting length of panel:

Last inside corner: 

May try to do the bottom section of the stairs in steel too. Have 3 extra sheets:

Cleaned up the mower and adjusted the belt:

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 2:50pm
Folks,
 So I decided to go around the corner and into the stairway with the steel too. I kept debating the look and degree of difficulty. Finally did some cardboard templates to help with the layout of the steel, and have a pattern. The results:

This was the right thing to do. Had to slow down and take my time. Hard for me to do sometimes:

I believe all the steel and trim are finally up! Should be ready for the hemlock upper material.

Regards,
 Chris 
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2021 at 10:06pm
You are putting a lot of effort into this, Chris! Looks like it'll be a nice place to live if needed, ha!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 12:22am
your shop is looking awesum! i have a AC sign just like that in my man cave!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2021 at 6:32am
John, SD, Folks,
Just realized last night that I am way to picky about this stuff that probably doesnt mean a hoot! 
Yea could have built a small house for about the same cost too.
I want to take the Ash lumber and get it planed or just get a planer? 
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:16am
Orange team,
Loaded the ash lumber that had been stickered and covered for a year. Neighbor volunteered to plane it for me. The lumber had a lot of staining, was worried about that but it turned out it was only surface staining. 

Planed just one side.

Straightened the track and did a layout. Have 22 feet of track for the two sliders. That should work.

Regards,
 Chris

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 6:54am
Chris,   I went the recycle way for a lot of my storage and benches.  I got a solid oak door that had been removed at work,  It made an outstanding workbench.  I put the old kitchen cabinets down one side of the garage, top and bottoms.  I changed all of the doors in the house.  They were flat doors so I used several of the flat closet doors that were narrower for shelves on the backside of one workbench.  I used the regular size doors in the barn for shelves.  I also have three or four open steel shelf units, 7' tall along a wall in the small garage.  They make an excellent storage area for all of my electric tools.  I don't have to open and close doors looking for what I want!  I do have several craftsman tool boxes for all of my hand tools.  They are probably not available any longer, but one end of one of my workbenches is held up by a three drawer pattern cabinet.  The kind they used to use for selling clothing patterns.  I took the dividers out to make them large open drawers.  They open and close real nice.  If you want any pictures let me know.

Still working on the syrup, enjoying it very much.  Thank You!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:12am
John, Folks,
 I like the idea of recycling also! Always trying to make something out of nothing here too!
The solid door idea is a good one. I used one for years as a work space. Heavy duty for sure.

I am currently trying to decide about new or used wood working equipment. I have these windows to finish with the ash. and then I will have all the wall material to cut for length and bevels to match ceiling pitch angles.

Regards,
 Chris
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:44am
If you can find some older used equipment in good shape, it would be better than what's on the market today.  Whatever you get make sure it has casters and brakes on the casters.  I love my table saw, but some people like the other type better.   You need a good lathe, band saw, and planers for starters.  I have on occasion seen this kind of stuff come up on auctions, and the persons really took good care of it all.  You might just wanna watch the local auctions for awhile.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:37am
wood working tools ? Call local mid/high schools ! PDQ !! One up the road got RID of the  'wood shop'..sigh, if I'd only known.....oh well.....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 10:07am
Chris,
     Those ash boards look really nice; no knots etc. I'm sure it will finish the areas you use it in well. What will you use for a coating?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:10pm
Folks,
I dont really want to get into a woodworking shop. At least I dont think I do. But you never know I may reinvent myself into the next Norm Abrams!:) I like to build things so its not that much of a stretch. 
Yes that ash lumber looks pretty good. 
Took the planed lumber to another neighbors this afternoon and he ripped it all to the widths I wanted. 10-1/2 inch for the sills, 8 inch wide for the jamb extensions, 3 inch and 4 inch for the casing, and 6-1/2 for shelves over top of each window. Going to have just a couple extra pieces. Not sure how this worked out so well on materials?? Someone is watching!

FYI the wood was carted up and down the road with the Allis WD wide front!

Mowed at the tractor show grounds tonight. Three of us with red Ford trucks, trailers and tractors with mowers. 
Friend Jim and his Truck and new trailer:

Mine with the working Jubilee, and Matt was there with his Massey:

Yea it was cold, I had many layers on!
Regards,
 Chris

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4142434445 56>
  Share Topic