This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 3:03pm
Hope it goes aswell as mine. I had nothing but the injection site touchy that day.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2021 at 8:34pm
Folks,
Well Wife and I seem to be doing ok with the second dose after 9 hours. Will see what tomorrow brings.
The prototype wall covering continues. Vertical Jay chanell around all the doors. Then the snow stop on the bottom, the 34 inch panel, and the double angle at the top, which will be the transition to the hemlock. Decided to add exposed sheet metal screws along the top. This would allow the panel to be removed if that was ever required. A suggestion made by the Amish steel guys.

This happened to be one of the tougher spots with the two door openers on the wall and the boxes for the safety eyes. 

Its going to be fine!
Regards,
Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:25am
Folks,
 As I continue around the high bay area. Just a shot of the progress, which is slow as I have to prototype just about everything to make sure its going to come out ok. Well this inside corner did not work out exactly as I had planned. Had to overlap a panel the opposite way to cover a boo boo. but it looks ok when I am in the house writing this!:) 
Friend Matt stopped over and invited me to go plow with him. Loaded the WD45 and old 3 bottom 14's and headed to Lake City PA.

The ground was part clay and sand. I did not do well and continually had to fight the plows. I knew something was not right! Here is Matt with his nice M and green plows.

When i got home and was ready to unload I found at least part of the plow problem. The link on the right side was flipped over on the cross shaft, which makes that side of the plow much deeper into the ground by about 4 inches . I havent had a chance to plow any more yet. But I am sure it wont hurt to have this link shortened! Also the plow lifted straight and set down straight. 

Hope things are good in orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Apr 2021 at 7:30am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 8:32am
Chris, you can actually see that in the last picture on page 40. After it came unlatched plowing. Pretty easy to have happen.

When I hung the 73 on the wide-front I wondered why it wouldn't pick it up further. Never going to get this thing on the trailer! Both links were just like yours, flipped them over and wallah!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 7:12pm
Mike,
 Your observant! Yes I hooked that back up with the knuckle out of position! Should work a little better now too!

Folks,
 Nic and his dog Cally came over and worked on electrical all day. He completed the bathroom lights, outlet and switch.
Added a low profile box for the 16 foot garage door, and brought the wires down for the opener eyes to function. 

Then we started the layout for the LED's in the high bay. Put them on the floor and talked about them for a while. tried different configurations and came up with a plan and locations for the 4 rows of lights. Nic went into the crawl space of the trusses and ran wire across the north end for each row of lights. 
Mounted the lights over the holes in the ceiling panels and proceeded to install the 12 units 8 foot long. We decided I needed an additional 4 footer at the south end of each row. So when we get those and install them there will be 112 feet of lights:

The install:

Cally took a nap on the warm floor in the sun:

Gave Nic a short course in what i know about the F40 and he used it to move some counters:

Lights! Will kind of look like 4 LED bulbs 28 foot long. Nice sleek compact style. Lights are set end to end and wired through each end to the next light. Lots of moves!

Could be a glow off in the distance if you look towards Erie PA tonight! Its just the lights on in the shop! I like them! 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Apr 2021 at 7:20pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 9:53pm
Looks pretty darn nice to me.
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2021 at 10:37pm
Yeah Sugar, ole Shameless is being nice to us too. Angry  We had 23 degrees here this AM and I don't think it did the apple trees any good.  I'll have to go look later.  No snow, but plenty of frost on everything.Cry

As far as the sink is concerned.....IF you need new seats, you can first grind down the old ones a little.  MOST of the time I can save em that way.  I've also been pretty lucky making new ones from ones that are 'close'. Clap

So far, I see Big smile a BEAUTIFUL shop that you just WON'T be able to get dirty!!  You're gonna have to work on that, gettin up the gumption to get it all dirty, working on stuff.  AND,,,,,,,you'll be able to SEE the dirt now.  Shocked
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 6:27am
Plummer, Ted, Folks,
 Thanks. And your right the dirt will really show up more now too!
Off to work on the walls or get some wood for making syrup next year.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 1:23pm
Folks,
 I wanted to get some gravel for around the shop. Well I went cheap and got a load of 1A. I got most of it spread out rather thin. But I dont really like it much since it doesnt pack at all. Well I will have to live with it a while and it may keep us out of the mud.
I did get about 8 feet of steel in place. Just keep hitting at it. 

I need to spend some time at the Steam show grounds doing what ever needs done! We are on schedule for a plow day and a tractor pull in early June!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 2:27pm
Sure is looking great and will be a great place to have family reunions
allisbred View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote allisbred Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2021 at 2:45pm
Your shop really looks nice! I wanted to throw a thought to the stone. I had concrete dirt brought in as fill 5$ a tri-axle plus hauling and then found some stone smaller than 57’s that was used to clean out asphalt machines for free as well plus hauling that I put over top. Packed very well. Just an idea to save a few hundred per load and I was very pleased.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2021 at 7:29am
Thanks guys!
The stone: well I was going to get 411 material which is crushed stone with the dust still in it. it packs very well. I went on the cheap and will live with the small non packing material for a while. It can be moved!:)

Made some progress on the interior. Decided to adjust all the "Z" trim that I had up already. For some reason I had it held above the top of the panels to get a certain dimension from the ceiling to the "z" I call it. Then realized it was providing a good sized gap for bugs to get through. So I took it all off and lowered it down right on top of the panels. That tightens the building a little more. And since the boards for the uppers will have a few inches of cut off on each end the dimension of 7 foot will now just be 7'1".
I new it was all prototype work anyway. The lights are awesome:

We placed the first row above the door windows when its full open:

Before:

After:

South wall coming together. Had to do some lay out work to get this to come out equal on both ends for the 90 degree bends at the inside corners. 

Many moves to make today, need to get going.
Hope things are good out there in Orange Land!

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Apr 2021 at 7:31am
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 1:28am
stone light??? oh...and a good way to keep your floor clean is to keep that truck outside, it won't drop mud and rust inside on the floor! lol
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 6:40am
Shameless,
 Thanks, I think!
Folks,
Here is the area where I dropped the "Z" channel down on to the top of the steel. Just seems like the right thing to do! High bay area is done with the low steel. Next will be the truck bay.

Hope things are good out there? Spring is a busy time for everyone! Yard work, gardens, projects ........
We are in the planning stages to have a antique plow day near the Sagertown PA Steam Show grounds on May 15 starting at 9:00. Would like to see some more Allis tractors too!
Regards,
 Chris 
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 7:41am
Chris, been checking in and reading updates every now and again- (y)our shop is coming together very nicely. It's so nice to get to break away from my reality a bit and follow along, learning different methods and the reason for the methods chosen. Not just from you, but others as well. Thank you all for keeping this going!

Spring is fast on the way and there aren't nearly enough hours in the day! I need to remember to take a moment and snap some pictures, I've had the D17 earning keep and entertaining the kids - last Sat. even managed to get her stuck while doing a little tractor/ trailer ride!

Back to the shop - details like lining up your lights with the windows are the things that are obvious but so often overlooked. Great job!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2021 at 2:28pm
Yeah, I thought the lights above the window idea was great, sometimes a guy just gets lucky even if he didn't plan on it!

Got over a inch of rain over night, plowed for potatoes just as it started to rain, another inch coming Sunday evening so better to try to get the field plowed now even if it is a bit to wet then wait until mid May. 

Added another Allis to the herd, the D19 on today's Big Iron sale.

Need to get to work to keep up with Chris!

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 1:12am
Stroken, 
Keep those boys busy with the tractor too! Awesome! Getting stuck means your were doing something!
John,
Congratulations on the D19! Of course we need pictures too!

Folks,
 I like the spring time as the days get the longest. Later hours and warmer temps allow us to get many things started and maybe some of them done too. I had all the shop doors flung open and it was a nice cool breeze through the shop. 

Today was Rhett's 6th birthday, so we took him to the ice cream place for lunch!

Cheryl picked rocks around the shop, to be ready to mow, if the grass seed takes off.

Went to local saw mill and got two bundles of cherry slabs for making syrup next year:

Moved toys out of the wood shed back to the shop. The David Bradley (circa 1948) Yea its running:

Put the buzz rig on the D17 and found the PTO shaft to be too short. Off to TSC to get a new PTO. Not cheap but the right thing to do!: The old one was shortened to fit the Jubilee that had a extra stub shaft on the PTO.

Friend Dale stopped up with a gift for the shop. He drove right through like he owned the place.:

I didnt know I needed this till it was here! Perfect!

Neighbor kids trying it out:

Yea its really comfy. Leather and broke in just right! Had my first nap setting there today!
 I now have a concept in my head for the end tables and the coffee table to be built with the four belt pulley assemblies from WD tractors! More on that later!

Mowed the lawn with the Jubilee, and then did work on the low steel for a while. One more section done in the truck bay:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Apr 2021 at 1:24am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 9:37pm
Folks,

Worked on the water system inside the shop today. 
Extended the water lines out into the truck bay and then vertical to a washer shut off station.

Rough in:

Hosed down the floor and it was dry in about a half hour. Lots of heat still in the slab!

Bought a new 20 volt driver today also. Nice light tool.

Regards,
 Chris

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2021 at 10:41pm
(Y)our shop is getting nicer and nicer, looking forward to seeing it in person.  That couch will be nice for naps!  Maybe it's the angle of the picture but those young neighbor ladies sure have long legs.

Edited by JohnColo - 29 Apr 2021 at 10:42pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2021 at 5:51am
Folks,
I am catching on to the term "Y(our)" shop now! 
Yea those girls are going to be tall like there mother. 
Thanks on the shop. Thew couch is a blessing and a curse. Naps are very comfortable too.
Off to see friend Andy at his camp near Titusville PA. He used a large portion of my sugarhouse design for his camp. it is in the final stages of inside finish work on walls too. So I need to compare notes. Also want to get the specs on some waterbased clear coating for my hemlock wall materials.

Hope things are good out there in Orange Land.
Thanks for checking on me!
I have the urge to buy another tractor. There is that 9N down the road. It may be a good tractor, just needs some love and attention.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 May 2021 at 8:33am
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 1:28am
A Ferd???
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:18am
Chris,
      I envy your energy level. Have you ever estimated the number of hours you have spent building that shop? Just the time devoted to planning must be pretty substantial.
     That sofa looks like it probably has some sort of magnetic force to attract someone to sit on it. We used to have one that looked the same that I always liked then the Mrs. got the idea that we needed a new one and the granddaughter got the leather one. Guess where she heads to sit when we visit the granddaughter.
     I like the idea of having a drive-thru at your shop. Very convenient to visit that way.
Keep the pictures coming; we like to see all your projects. Of course you "need" another tractor. No use of having a shop without a project or two in the works.
     Russell 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 7:28am
John,
 Ok I laid down and the urge passed.

Went to Andy's camp to help him with some of his projects. Here is the look he has in the downstairs area. Galvanize wainscoting below and cedar tongue and groove above.:

Worked on a stair rail he whittled out of a piece of oak:

Andy had a couple tools that I was drooling over and need to get for my wall project. The justification will be that I am goint to put it up myself. Therfore maybe saving some labor dollars.
Dewalt sliding miter saw:

Dewalt table saw: (specs):

Also a nice air nailer that might work for the hemlock mounting. Using #15 2.5 inch brads.

More toys! 

Back home it was naps, frosty beverages, and a little steel went up too! Completed the east wall of the truck bay. Came out fine. I realized that I have a problem with a future project. The 6 foot sliding doors (someday) going to the east, is going to hit the sloped ceiling. in the high bay area. Dang! The fix maybe to add a 45 degree corner to each side of the doors for clearance, and add fake 45's corners in the door opening to match.
This would then also match the exterior door openings too. Another small project!

For some reason It looks like I ordered way too much steel sheets? Quite a pile left and I have one room left to do. Well if I have some left over I may use it in the kitchen of the sugarhouse project:
Comments questions or concerns always welcome!
Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good out there.
Will fire up the D17 Allis today to buzz some wood for the sugarhouse. Need to sharpen the blade this morning.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 May 2021 at 8:48am
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 8:14am
I don't worry too much about having extra steel panels. There's always something I wind up using them for!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2021 at 6:35pm
John, Folks,
Allis related, I sharpened the buzz rig saw blade mounted on the D17. Shop was well lit for this work!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 8:46am
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Chris,
      I envy your energy level. Have you ever estimated the number of hours you have spent building that shop? Just the time devoted to planning must be pretty substantial.
     That sofa looks like it probably has some sort of magnetic force to attract someone to sit on it. We used to have one that looked the same that I always liked then the Mrs. got the idea that we needed a new one and the granddaughter got the leather one. Guess where she heads to sit when we visit the granddaughter.
     I like the idea of having a drive-thru at your shop. Very convenient to visit that way.
Keep the pictures coming; we like to see all your projects. Of course you "need" another tractor. No use of having a shop without a project or two in the works.
     Russell 

Russell, 
Somehow missed your post.
My energy level is just enough to keep me in trouble most of the time. Brain says I am 19, body says I am 69!Smile
Hours on the project? No I have not attempted to estimate it but maybe in the 2,000 hour range.

Planning yes, is doesnt seem to stop. As the shop develops there are more things to plan for. The devil in the details thing comes to mind!

The couch does have that magnetic force, Thanks for that, I will use that term! Our daughter had one similar and it was always comfortable like this one! You just melt into it!

The drive through feature was based on a couple things. Not really traffic, but as much about the breezeway affect we get with the west wind! I have used that "extra" East door a lot actually maybe more that the west doors. So yes glad I added the two opposing doors too.

Additional tractors/ projects? Well I need to get on the ball and get tractors (Fords) ready for our summer show! It features Ford tractors! I need to refurb a Ford milk can seat also!
Thanks for your positive comments!
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 3:41pm
  You sure have it looking good almost to nice to use and get dirty
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 8:00pm
Folks,
 Cheryl helped split some of her Hostas and transplanted them around the east and south side of the shop. Her Grandmothers Massey 8 hp did the work moving things around.

This is the area where I need to build in corners so the doors will work and look ok. 

Got all my stones moved (Aligned) so I can mow this front yard when the grass gets going. For some reason they point towards Cleveland?

Went over to the farm Matt works at and did some plowing with the WD45 and 3 bottoms.
It worked much better with that knuckle in the right position! Pictures coming.

Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 May 2021 at 8:07pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2021 at 9:02pm
That's cause the heart of rocks in a row is in cleveland...Wink

Last pun of the night, I promise!WinkWink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2021 at 8:10am
Chris, is that a Cub Cadet garden cart in the pic with the better half and MF tractor?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4041424344 56>
  Share Topic