This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 11:59pm
Amen!
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

DaveKamp View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveKamp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 12:44am
That ceiling is lookin' really spiffy, Chris!
Glad to hear the floor heat is workin' out well for you.

Have you considered rotating that throne about 30 degrees to starboard?  It'd grant more elbow clearance from all the wall-candy...
Ten Amendments, Ten Commandments, and one Golden Rule solve most every problem. Citrus hand-cleaner with Pumice does the rest.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2021 at 7:27am
Dave,
Yes I had thought about that rotation of the throne.  Brain could not wrap around that, just seamed like it would be weird. Have had males and females use it in last week and no one has complained a bit and most looked somwhat relieved when they exited. Guess it staying. Also may give you something to lean on (pipes) and or use as hand holds for us old folks too. Andy the heating guy said you could do chin ups on the system when he completed the install of the copper!  
Good suggestion!
Off to move things again in the shop, put up more F&J channel, extract honey or work in the sugarhouse on end of season clean up. Happy Sunday!
Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good in Orange land!
 Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2021 at 2:44pm
That sure makes the shop look diffeent with the ceiling up you might have to wear sunglass till your eyes adjust to all that brightness.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 7:01am
tadams,
Yes brighter! Nic is going to bring one of the LED lights he is proposing for the ceiling to see if I like it. I am sure it will be fine. He will drill holes for the wires as the lights are hung. Having worked with these party lights for the last 6 months, it will be strange whe we get some functioning lights in the actual final location. The White liner panels will be like a giant reflector. 
I worked in the truck bay all day yesterday, between visits with friends and neighbors too.
All the F&J is up, just need a few more screws  in the two 10 foot pieces above the garage door. 
I also found that the insulation crew did not fill the cavity between the headers above that door. So That needs to be completed while I am in that area. Or get them back to fix it? Lots of cold area in that 16 x 1.5 foot area! Then I will seal with foam along the header.
So one step closer to being ready for the rest of the ceiling in the next two weeks.

The temp has been in the mid 60's in the shop as the outside temps are in 30's at night right now. And it sure is convenient to have the bathroom available too. 

Need to do some measuring for materials for the walls. Pretty sure I will use the same ship lap hemlock planed on the show side, for the upper walls. Then the bottom will be steel 3 foot high. Maybe in a red, white and blue theme. Different colors in each room.
Will start with white rat guard on the bottom, steel. then white z channel, then the 7 foot of vertical wood. Would like to put a coat of clear on the wood if I can take the time to do it. By the time I am ready the weather may be nice enough to do that outside. 

Also have that Ash wood that I want to use to trim out the window frames and the exterior door frames. 
I am going to use steel J channel to surround all the man doors. This will allow the steel and the wood to have trim in that area too.
The garage doors may need a Jay to finish there too. Darn details!:)

Off to work in the sugarhouse today, or try to do something productive!

Regards,
 Chris

JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 1:06pm
Darn Chris, I get tired just reading about all you do!
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 6:26pm
I was looking at a four post hoist.  Can someone splain to me how you can work on suspension and brakes.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by john(MI) john(MI) wrote:

I was looking at a four post hoist.  Can someone splain to me how you can work on suspension and brakes.

Mine has two options. It comes with a "jack box", which is a steel box that sits on the rails between the ramps. You can use bottle jacks on the jack box to raise the tires off the ramps.

The other option is a rolling jack. When I bought mine it was a $750 option. There are tracks that run the entire inner side of each ramp (same rails the jack box sits on) and the hydraulic jack easily rolls to any position you want. There is an air option to operate the jack (mine isn't air, it is manual pump).

Mine is an Atlas. I don't think they are any better or worse than some of the competition. To date, I have had absolutely no problems with mine. The Atlas is foreign made. There was one that I looked at before I bought mine that is American made. It was shorter (my crew cab 8' box pickup was too long for it), narrower and didn't lift as high. It was also more than twice the price.

This is the lift I have.

This is the closest thing I could find to my rolling jack. I have one, but you can use two on the same 4 post lift.

WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 9:02pm
Chris asked (and I never answered) how you can lift a narrow front end tractor with a four post lift. I use the jack tray (which comes with the four post lift) that can be positioned anywhere. I use a small wooden ramp to lift the front wheels on to the jack tray.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:03am
WF, 
Thanks! That makes sense. I have a long long way to go before I am into the lift becoming a reality. But that lifting tool is still on the list. 

Folks,
I am stuck way back at the ceiling trim details! here are some pictures:
J channel on both sides of the inside big door jambs. F&J around the compressor room.

Other side of door near jib:

J channel across under side of header to carry the steel ceiling:

Insulated the header void over the 16 x 9 overhead. This will help with heat loss.  Also the F&J worked and trimmed to fit around the trolley opener frame: I need to get that in place and then we should be ready for the steel liner panels to go up:

Kelly came over and we extracted some honey last night when it was warm.

Got 1/3 of my Maple tubing taken down yesterday. I like to do that when warm and dry so may have to wait a couple days to get the rest home.

Thanks for checking on me!
Rain here today.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Mar 2021 at 11:44am
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:50am
Two things have been asked and said many times, but I'll repeat:

how do you make the time to do all this?

Great progress!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:12am
Stroken,
 Thanks! I tried to block the interior of this shop project out of my mind during the build.  But after a year it is now in my face! Will see how we progress on it.

Well I don't really do much. If you guys wrote down the things you did, you would be surprised too! I just keep hitting at it. And I am easily distracted, so it just seems like I do a little on a lot! If that all makes sense? 
I think someone that does real stuff and gets things done for example on here (and there are many) I will use DMiller as a example. His big truck project is awesome!
Just hoping to get others to work on there old orange tractors and spend massive amounts of money on toys and things! I am and old enabler. 
Things I am not good at:
Electrical
Hydraulics

But I do like to take pictures!Smile

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Mar 2021 at 11:43am
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 11:30am
Hahahaha
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 7:44pm
Never been around bees but I am wondering, where do the bees live while you have their house in your barn?
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Mar 2021 at 8:35pm
John,
In normal conditions you can take off boxes of honey twice a year around July fourth and around Sept 4th. In this case the bees died sometime since last fall so they don't really care anymore.

Folks,
On the shop project: I worked on interior trim around the walk doors. This is "J" channel around the perimeter to finish off the steel bottom 3 foot, and the proposed wood on the upper 7 foot. Just a lot of fiddling around. Doesn't look like much happened. But when I get to the wall material it will go quicker. Ready for steel on the ceilings, as all that trim is in place too. Maybe this weekend??

I spent some quality time with great grandson Rhett, riding the couch on this cool rainy dreary day. He did not have school due to Covid outbreak in his grade school. He and I were working the computers as he had a virtual school zoom meeting. Plus a virtual school field trip to a farm which was milking Holstein's. 
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 31 Mar 2021 at 8:43pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 6:56am
Folks,
 Did someone poke shameless? I have a covering of white stuff this morning! Need to get out and at it! Shop should be about 64 degrees. More trim to do around doors. Also several maple orders to fill.
Hope things are good in Orange Land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Apr 2021 at 6:57am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 7:24am
Chris, you have a good looking gr-grandson there. Looks like he is right at home with his computer. Probably navigates it better than I can. 
     I second the idea about how much you get done; must have quite a reserve of energy. And you have bees to care for in your spare time too. Hope you enjoy what we hope is your last snow for the year. At least we know who to blame it on. Russell.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 1:25pm
Russ, Folks, 
Kids seem to be way smarter that I ever was or will be. If Rhett could read he would be dangerous! He has his numbers all down and is doing simple math problems easily. I still cant do simple math problems easily! 

Well Maple Stuff took over today. We have a Maple fest on the 10th and 11th in Erie at Asbury Woods Nature Center. So I am building value added maple products to take and have if some of the visitors are inclined to purchase them. Today I made a batch of Maple Mustard, and two batches of Maple BBQ. I needed labels so had to come in a run some off on the old inkjet printer. Thought I better check the Allis forum while in here too. I made a small amount of maple candy for a online order and will have to make 5+ lbs for the show. Those will be in bags with 3 or 4 pieces. Then on to the maple Peanut Butter and Maple Crumb sugar, Oh yea Maple Cotton Candy also. That should keep me busy for a day or two!:)
Will try to get some pictures of something.

Need to check on those boys doing the ceiling. With Easter this weekend, I am not sure if they plan to work on it.
Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Apr 2021 at 1:26pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 2:32pm
Hopefully they will get it done on Saturday.

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

Russ, Folks, 
Kids seem to be way smarter that I ever was or will be. If Rhett could read he would be dangerous! He has his numbers all down and is doing simple math problems easily. I still cant do simple math problems easily! 

Well Maple Stuff took over today. We have a Maple fest on the 10th and 11th in Erie at Asbury Woods Nature Center. So I am building value added maple products to take and have if some of the visitors are inclined to purchase them. Today I made a batch of Maple Mustard, and two batches of Maple BBQ. I needed labels so had to come in a run some off on the old inkjet printer. Thought I better check the Allis forum while in here too. I made a small amount of maple candy for a online order and will have to make 5+ lbs for the show. Those will be in bags with 3 or 4 pieces. Then on to the maple Peanut Butter and Maple Crumb sugar, Oh yea Maple Cotton Candy also. That should keep me busy for a day or two!:)
Will try to get some pictures of something.

Need to check on those boys doing the ceiling. With Easter this weekend, I am not sure if they plan to work on it.
Regards,
 Chris 

Chris, you gots any maple shrimp sauce?Wink

Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Apr 2021 at 10:31pm
Not a big shrimp fan here. Got sick on them as a kid and havent eaten many since. 
I did make Spicy Maple BBQ today/ I am sure it would make anything taste good, even shrimp!

Decided I better put the truck in for the night. But most of the tractors are setting outside!
The crew is not coming this week end to work on the ceiling. Not a big deal Will get done within the next month.

Worked between the sugarhouse and the shop on maple products today.
Making Maple Mustard with fresh snow outside:

Also made a small batch of Maple Candy for a order and some for the grandkids:
The shop was a lot warmer so I completed the products in there today.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 8:47am
Allis folks,
 Happy Good Friday and Happy Easter! 
Hope all are doing well. 
Heading to the warm shop to work on something. Probably finish maple Spicy Maple Mustard. Friend Dale is coming over around noon to get syrup and visit. He helped me with the siding last summer. I think The syrup will be a gift!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Apr 2021 at 7:59pm
Folks,
 The shop and maple bled together at some point!
Friend Dale stopped by to visit and I put him to work:

He also took the F40 for a spin, He just tooled around like he owned the place:

Yea he speared the chair and lifted it up too!:

We visited all afternoon and solved almost all the worlds problems:

Here are the proposed colors for the lower wall coverings in steel.

Was still raw out today and I got cold. Nice to have some heat you can back up too also:

After running it for a few minutes in zone 1:

Maple Peanut Butter assembly tomorrow:

Going to use the shop for one of our Maple Meetings next Thursday night too.
Thanks for checking on me. The loft was so quiet I almost fell asleep up there!
 Regards,
 Chris

ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 8:07am
Chris,
     You certainly have a nice roomy place to work and entertain. It's incredible what you have accomplished in the last year. I think I see your cotton candy machine in one of those pictures?. From one of your past comments I am thinking you can make the cotton candy ahead and it keeps for some period of time? Bet that's good stuff. Seems like there are quite a few products you produce that are maple syrup based. Do you ever use any of your honey for products? Ain't I just full of questions? Russell.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2021 at 12:55pm
Russell,
 Very observant and good questions! I dont make many value added Honey products. We have had a problem just having enough honey to keep our customers. Just cant seem to keep those bees alive. 
Yes the cotton candy is special made with maple sugar and white sugar. Need the white sugar because it makes the fluff much better. But the maple sugar gives it a awesome maple flavor that folks just love! We package it in 32 oz. plastic containers with snap on lids. If we do a good job sealing them they will last several weeks or longer in the freezer.
I may make some of those this afternoon. Maybe about 50-75 cups. Not the easiest to make by myself. Just have to get things set up around the machine. Its very easy to make and today will be a good day to do it since the weather is cool and dry. Doesnt work well on rainy days.

Here is the peanut butter mix, made 60 jars:

I will try to get some pictures of the Maple Cotton Candy.

Just talked to the ceiling crew, They will be here Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday evening if needed. I have to put in some spray foam above the 16 foot door where tha insulation meets the header. 

Neighbor stopped and reviewed my work on the story pole for the wall material layout. He gave me some good ideas. So I now need to measure the rooms and get materials on order for that part of the project too.
-Rat Guard all around the bottom, white.
-Steel liner panels around the big room, 34 inches long, Bright white
-Steel panels for zone 1, 34 inch long, Gallery Blue. (now to be called the Blue room!)
-Steel panels for zone 2 truck bay, 34 inches long, Scarlet Red, (now to be the Red room)
- Steel "Z" trim all around all roms above the steel, Bright white (10' 1 ")
- Wood upper wall covering, Hemlock, 10 inches wide, covers 9 inches, ship lap, with planed side on show side. Detail groove on show side. These would be 14 foot plus and would need to be cut to 7 foot for most of the rooms. 

Regards,
 Chris
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2021 at 2:57pm
If the temp keeps going up you will need air conditioning in your building also
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 7:22am
Russell, Folks,
The insulation may help keep it a little cooler in the shop. I had two of the overheads open most of the day yesterday and it was about 70 inside. Very comfortable with a nice breeze through the building too. 
Cheryl and I used the Blue room to make some Maple Cotton Candy yesterday. Was nice having help with the 70 containers we made.

I picked up a 8 inch wide x 3/4 x 18 foot piece of Azack for trimming around the inside of the walk doors took it to the neighbors to have cut to 2.25 wide strips. This composite stuff is nice but not cheap. about $70 for that piece!

The ceiling crew arrived at 5:30 and started on the Blue room. Lots of lay out work to be assured everything is going to line up. Completed over 50% of the room and will be back tonight to complete that section of the shop ceiling. 

A nice clean look!
I may contract with this guys to complete the ceiling in the stairs, the bath, and the air compressor room. They way I move it might never get done. They can move a lot quicker than I can!

Thanks for checking on my blog! 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 07 Apr 2021 at 7:30am
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 11:06am
Looking good... glad it is coming together for ya...
Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 4:53pm

Where's the electric for the 'Garage Door Opener'?

Thought I could see a receptacle at the ceiling.

G
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2021 at 4:59pm
Looking good Chris. Yeah I went a while without openers in my shed but that got old fast.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3738394041 56>
  Share Topic