This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:49pm
Folks,
 Yes antifreeze in the  floor heating system!  Butt is dragging tonight, gathered sap and washed the containers.  Will try to take some pictures over the weekend too. Thanks for all the comments! Very helpful too! We worked in zone 1 tonight making Maple cotton candy, it was very comfortable at 62F. Have had several folks looking at the floor heating system. No one has seen a issue yet.
Maple store set up in zone 1:

Home built gear pump machine to make Maple cream:

325 gallon leg tank in the truck, with front mounted boat winch to lift tank to drain

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 12 Mar 2021 at 8:59pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2021 at 12:15am
Shop looks good! The racks looks like they're full of tasty goodies!!!

Pretty slick set up for the Sap tank, is the winch and frame a part of the tank frame or independent of it?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2021 at 6:52am
Stroken, Folks,
 Think I got some of the maple pictures in the shop thread! Anyway the frame is separate and just sets in the truck stake pockets with the boat winch mounted.

The Radiant floor heating worked very nice in the shop over the weekend! Maybe 500 folks visited and seemed to appreciate getting out of the cold wind and 30 degree temps outside too.

Dave from Pa and me

Sunday Morning a local crew that worked on steel buildings stopped in and gave me a quote on putting up the steel on the ceiling. There quote seemed very reasonable so I contracted with them to install the steel liner panels in the high bay area first, then they will quote the low bay areas after that is done. So I will need to play musical machines again and move things out of the way for them to work in there. But will be good to get that done too!
Off to gather maple sap!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 15 Mar 2021 at 7:04am
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 12:13am
Glad the shop ad boiler worked as planned and hoping the ladies wee pleased with having a comfortable necessities room!

Now the real question - did you spend more time answering questions about the shop, sugar house/ setup or fleet of beautiful tractors?!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 6:40am
Jim,
 There were a lot of parents taking pictures of there kids and grandkids on the tractors! We did several shop tours on request, and the girls and guests did not complain at all about the mid 60's temp inside when the wind chill was about 30F! 
I did spend some time flapping my gums in the sugarhouse too! 
The shop has been a nice place to set and chat! Not sure what its going to cost me! But I like the warmth!
Regards,
 Chris
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 11:45am
Hey Chris been a few pages so I thought I'd better chime in.  That truck is nice but there is one problem.  He'll have to park way out in the parking lot cause he'll need two parking spaces for it.

Neighbor friend has a two post lift.  We've had all kinds of things up on it, including another friends Chevy 4x4 with a diesel in it.  Never had a problem.  You just need to make sure you're balanced good enough.  They make them with shorter arms on the front end so it takes care of that. 

That plumbing picture mad me dizzy looking at it.  I have done some artful plumbing, but nothing that extensive.  I'm really glad every thing is functioning properly.  I was wondering if that boiler is going to be a head banger issue being by the door?

I'm glad your syrup day was so successful.  We noticed something white thru the woods down back.  I thought they maybe built something.  The other day I walked thru the woods and saw it was five gallon buckets hanging from the trees.  I guess I'll have to go over and make sure he's doing it correctly now that I have taken this online course on sugaring!!

Good luck as you continue on your venture!
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2021 at 3:12pm
John, Folks,
Yes those long beds need a zip code!
The boiler may be a slight head knocker but is tucked in more than it would have been on the north wall.
Good luck on the maple teaching event!:)

Half the red oak is gone!:

Was so comfortable I decided to can syrup in the shop today! 23 gallons of Amber Rich, Dark Robust, and Very Dark.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 17 Mar 2021 at 3:16pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Mar 2021 at 9:42pm
Folks,
 Accidently did a heating test on the shop. Left two doors open when i left today and was gone a couple hours. Temp dropped to near outside temp (46) in zone 2 and about 59 in zone 1. Was about 65F.
 Well that will use some fuel to get back up to temp! Humm need to watch that closer!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 18 Mar 2021 at 9:43pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 4:49pm
Oh no!

How quickly did it recover?
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Mar 2021 at 5:06pm
I found out the 'smartstat' in the garage WILL turn of the furnace , even when 'off', when the garage temp gets below 45*F !! Found that out last winter..turned stat to 'off' ,left garage door open,thought I'd be back 10-15 minutes, oospy,went for a ride-a-about to talk to some neighbours...3 hrs later  ,come back to furnace heating up the entire neighbourhood. I've since added a 'door open' switch in series with the 'smartstat' to furnace.No more $$$$ heating the World !!
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 8:00am
Jay Jim, Folks,
 I was up to temp the next morning. So that was ok.
Jay is so high tech I can maybe think of something like that but I cant make it happen. My brain wont go there!
Temp was 67 in the zone 1 ans 62 in the rest of the shop. Pretty comfy! Dont look at the fuel gage!:)
Love the floor heating system so far! Just remembered, need to see the furnace guy and get settled up with him today. He is going to look at my neighbors maple syrup evaporator today. Yep another syrup guy! 
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 20 Mar 2021 at 8:01am
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2021 at 3:11pm
As I said earlier in the thread, this is why I prefer my four post lift. Both the two post and four post have their advantages, but if I had a two post, I would be crawling under one of my D-17's today.

Edited by WF owner - 20 Mar 2021 at 3:12pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2021 at 7:51am
WF,
 Thanks for the picture. How would either type work for a narrow front tractor?? I can see advantages to having both types of lifts too! 
I have this feeling I am going to get a truck project to work on at some point. Maybe a big old truck??
My grandson Mike favors the 2 post, He does mechanic work for a living at Firestone in Erie PA.
Here is Mike and his daughter Bugga (2):

zone 1 gets some love:

Getting stuff ready to move out for ceiling install next weekend:

Shop pics random!:

I need to get out there, big day and it is nice!

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 7:18am
Folks,
Did a little in the utility room yesterday. Trim for the ceiling panels:

Cheryl enjoying the warm shop on a cool morning;

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 8:13pm
Folks,
 Small moves on the shop:
Choose this non wax ring seal:

The install:

That should work:

F40 doing work:

Getting ready for the crew to come and work on the ceiling in the High bay area.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Mar 2021 at 8:14pm
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2021 at 9:32pm
I like the location of the toilet next to the  PEX piping headers... Gives you something to fiddle with while you do you Business !  Wink
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 7:46am
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

I like the location of the toilet next to the  PEX piping headers... Gives you something to fiddle with while you do you Business !  Wink

You will also need a magazine rack !

IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:31am
A place to be king!
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:56am
     I'll bet your restroom is warm in the winter when the heat is turned on.
wjohn View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wjohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 12:36pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

I'll bet your restroom is warm in the winter when the heat is turned on.

I was just thinking I can imagine how nice that will be... I picture coming in to a nice warm toilet seat while working outside in January!
1939 B, 1940 B, 1941 WC, 1951 WD, 1952 CA, 1956 WD-45
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 12:45pm

Use the manifolds as towel warmers.
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 1:31pm
I was going to ask where he was going to put the roll holder. There is so much plumbing on the wall there, it would be to mount a roll holder.
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 2:14pm
get a 'free standing' one... they work nice and you can put in a handy to reach place where ever you want it.

Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 2:57pm
2 things here.  1 is them type toilets are just a pain to set.  Trying to get into them holes to tighten the bolts, impossible!  2 Chris, better be sure the door is closed, when duty time calls, or the neighbors might be watching you! LOL
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 9:11pm
Folks,
 thanks for all the comments on the new Command Central, area of the shop! They were pulling the porta Johns at the same time I was setting this toilet up. Yes they can be hard to get to the base and tank attachments. It worked real well as I was able to get behind the fixture and do most of the install easily!

TP holder is currently the copper tubing system. 

Crew was here early to begin the ceiling in the high bay area today. 

They really did a nice job with the materials I purchased for the flat spot at the peak where the two ceiling fans are going to be mounted. then they hung 1/6 of the white steel liner panels in about 1 hour. So far I am very pleased.
String line across the 36 foot ceiling showed that Nic had placed the fan boxes perfectly in line. Next was a custom Jay channel on each side of the box and the 10 inch flat panel clipped into those.
They did the work to make sure this came out with minimal seams and made the joints symmetrical in the room. Details that make things really look nice too. 

Panels are in three approx 12 foot lengths:

Last panel at the bottom was within 1/8 inch from end to end dimension.

Every other rafter got screws:

After they left I used the F40 to move the remaining panels under the area they had completed. 

Will go faster tomorrow!
I completed the remaining F&J on the north east slope.
Temp was comfortable 62 degrees with the wind and rain pelting outside at 39F! 

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Mar 2021 at 9:21pm
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2021 at 11:01pm
Holy Smokes!

That's looking sharp!!!

F40 earning it's keep is fun to see, too!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 1:42am
Maybe you shut down the maple operation too soon!  Ceiling is looking great!!

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 3:55am
better put a piece of plywood over the controls in the head, otherwise yer grand kids will fiddle with them while leaving a deposit! your shop is looking better all the time, i wonder what the next build will be? 
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:18pm
Folks,
 Thanks! Humm Next build? Maybe a 1956 Ford F800 ex fire truck? Friend has one. Not sure I need one that big and bold??
The shop was busy with activity as the crew completed the high bay area of the ceiling.
First it is Ford country here:

Crew putting up the steel:

Daughter Kel on the F40, which doubles as a great coffee table:

Friends Brent and Jim swapping fishing stories and drinking coffee with Maggie:

Oh yea the ceiling:

Three guys on the scaffolds, two of us on the ground:

Finished the ceiling and it looks great! Everything worked! Seams looks really good. Door track braces aligned off ribs. Panels tucked in all the F&J I put up:

Flat for fan came out real nice:

Contracted with them to do the other two rooms also: within next few weeks. I have the material. Just need to move everything again and put up the F&J in the zone 2 truck bay.

Regards,
 Chris

DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2021 at 8:51pm
Looks more like a church, than a shop!Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3637383940 56>
  Share Topic