This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 10:04am
Grandson's pickup looks great. How about some of that Camo metal paneling you had a picture of, that would also make great covering for under side of the stairs.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 12:12pm
Tom, Folks,
Nic can sneak up on us now! His RAM was deleted and straight pipe, very sweet sound! The Ford is in stealth mode! Nice truck with low miles.
 I had not thought about that camo under the stairs. Humm Would be kind of natural, yea good idea. I will think on that one. Maybe a dark green J channel I think that might look pretty good. The guys would like it anyway. I am liking the idea already! Thanks!
Some random shots as I try to move chairs on the sinking ship!:

She starts, she moves, she seems to function:

Yea we own a Ford also:

We are planing to use zone 1 and zone 2 for the 18th Annual Northwestern PA Maple Taste and Tour, maybe the girls will get some dust rinsed off about Thursday?

The money shot, Yea a lot of it lined up right there:

Almost exactly one year ago we drove some stakes in the yard! for the shop! 
Off to can some syrup for orders and the weekend!
Thanks for checking in on me!Smile
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 08 Mar 2021 at 12:18pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
*DougW View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote *DougW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 8:42pm
Cheap way to add storage space, use what is called an "Attic Truss". These trusses are a little more expensive, but the entire center of the truss is open allowing for a "room". Cheap storage for small items. A steeper roof would give more room, shed snow better, and provide a stronger building. For poles, use a laminated pole, much stronger than a solid 6x6, straighter, and the only area that is treated is in the ground. Makea a nicer looking building, easier to work with, and no worries about nails rusting in treated wood. Foam insulation, no rodent worries, plenty of lighting inside and out, ceiling fans for heat and air movement in summer, big doors, etc. You only get one shot at this, do it the best that you can.
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2021 at 9:00pm
Doug, you should have spent a little more time reading the last 37 pages... almost all of what you said is incorporated into this building.. AND MORE.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 1:35am
Yea, we all talked a lot about what kind of insulation to put in "our" shop.  Sometimes the pocketbook has the last word.  We did get the in floor heat though!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 5:20am
*DougW,
and Folks,
 Thanks for the suggestions! We must think alike. I have some of those details in "our" shop as it is now know across the Orange Belt!
 The Lochinvar boiler is to be installed today.
 Did not go with foam. Just had to make a choice, and the wallet is about empty!:)
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2021 at 7:34am
Chris,

I do really like the idea of the camo covering for under the stairs, but wonder if that will make the room seem small and difficult to light? Maybe your stealthy electrician already though of this and added another lighting outlet without anyone knowing he was there ;) that's a fine looking truck he's got, and I'd wager he and the family are going to appreciate the nicer ride and reduced front end rebuild times ;)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 6:02am
Stroken, Folks,
 Not sure about the less front rebuild thing? It is a heavy front 6.7 also. Its going to make a nice truck for Nic and his boys!
Yes the room might be too dark Already planning on another light above the sink area. Just a flush 3 inch LED. Will think about the white vs camo more?

So The heating guy will be back to complete the boiler install today. He had to get home and check his overflowing sap buckets yesterday!:)

He suggested changing the location of the install of the Lochinvar boiler. I like the suggestion and went with his idea. Moved it around to the right next to the door. 
Several items lined up perfectly, like electric, fuel and drain. Also takes up a few inches less room.

Concentric vent and air:

Happy with the install so far very clean and professional. Hope it works as good as it looks!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 10 Mar 2021 at 6:05am
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 6:31am
Looking good. Can't imagine it would not work. The tricky part is getting all the air purged on the initial fill.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 7:21am
I really like that boiler placement, not going to be shouldering it, that's for sure!
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 8:37am
That old boy is one heck of a plumber !
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 11:49am
What is the reason for using copper from the boiler to the manifold, instead of pex?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:13pm
Not sure if they make pex and fittings any larger than 5/8 or 3/4 that is listed for a radiant heat system. The supply and return from the manifolds must be larger than the runs to maintain volume if both circuits are running.
All of the components and fittings add up to a lot weight and that needs a lot of support. The copper tubing simplifies that. It’s a much cleaner looking installation this way. In some codes pex cannot connect directly to a heat source. Also, I just noticed I’m not seeing an expansion tank. Am I not seeing it, did he forget, or is this system not needing one?
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 12:16pm
That plumbing is a work of art.  I just wish you were closer so I could use a spot in "our" shop.  Guess I'll just have to be satisfied in looking at it.
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 5:50pm
Looks better'n what I've seen on This Old House...Wink
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 7:17pm
Plummers- I noticed an open T on the top copper run, above what looks to be a pressure relief.. Maybe it'll get plumbed in there?

Now, a question for ya... Why does it look like the supply and return are connected beneath the boiler without a valve?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2021 at 8:36pm
I see that fitting might be what they have in mind. As far as the tee, I don't have a good answer. Perhaps some type of mixing so as not to thermally shock the boiler with the cooler return water. The distance is to be minimum 4X the diameter of the piping. I did not do that with my setup some 8 years ago. However, I am currently putting one together for a friend of mine and it was provided with a one piece brass valve/double tee. The install directions do not explain the need. Assumes installer putting it together knows what they're doing.
Ok so I dug in a little deeper. It is called a bypass loop and yes this mixes supply and return water. Can raise return temps to avoid thermal shock to the boiler and reduce condensation in the flue which is corrosive to the boiler and flue piping. Also noted can increase energy efficiency. It's an over simplified answer as boiler and system design can be quite complex.

Edited by plummerscarin - 10 Mar 2021 at 9:15pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 5:31am
PEX does come in bigger sizes. New neighbor(one that LISTENS to me....) has 1" PEX as the feed/return lines to his ,sniff,sniff, new garage/workshop with MY heated floors....
I've been wondering about the plumbing too,seems overly 'complicated' but I'd still like to have it....

BTW ,just HOW long will PEX in concrete last ?
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 6:09am
Folks,
Some additional shots as Andy finished the system and its functioning now! So with outside temps at 70F I really didnt need a boiler now! But its in. May need it this weekend for the 18th Annual Maple Taste and Tour.

Expansion tank:

I will try to get some better pictures. Lots of valves!

I am pretty happy with the install! I told him it had to look good as it will be all over the internet! I believe he took some extra care and detailed it well.
 I had him do the hot and cold to the sinks. Looks great.

Better than I would have done.
Will have some work to do to plumb the shower and out to the hose reel in zone 2 (truck bay)

Nic will have the lights and outlets in place in the bath/ utility room before the weekend. A 2 foot LED over the door and a 3 inch over the sink. Sure glad I made this area 2 foot wider!:)

Thanks for checking on me! 
Have been real busy making syrup. Made 47 gallons over last two days!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Mar 2021 at 6:12am
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 7:54am
Chris,
     I don't know much about the in-the-floor heating systems. Do you use an antifreeze type of liquid to fill it? Sure would be a mess if those tubes would freeze. Russell.   
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:06am
Chris-
I completely missed the T he had in place for the expansion tank. You sure have some skilled folks in your area. Everything is looking beautiful! Hopefully it's just cool enough to utilize the boiler this weekend, not not so cold that sap quites flowing!

47 Gallons?! Holy smokes!

Plummers-
Thank you for the simplified explanation, makes perfect sense :)

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 9:28am
Looks great Chris. I start my boiler in Oct. and don't shut it off till into May that way the cement is warm when I turn it on and if you don't need heat into May it doesn't run but if there is a cold spell I don't have to work about the pipes. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2021 at 11:22am
I do the same with mine. I have a 50/50 mix of boiler approved antifreeze if I decided not to run it. Straight water is fine in dwellings as the owner will have the heat on for the season and will be there in the event the system shuts down. But PH should be monitored to prevent problems per manufacturer.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 5:47am
Folks,
 Havent been out there yet. Lazy today! 

This drain in the floor was to be my sink drain. I didnt use it as the door was too close. turns out to be in a good position for the condensate drain!

Water inlet and check valve if system needs water added:

Temp and pressure gage, 15 psi is normal temp is changing as slab heats up.

Busy corner:

Large sink in zone 1:

Supply lines:

We have water: DHW seems to respond very quick! NICE!

Drain glued for sink in zone 1. Was slip coupling to get wall panel in place:

Temp was 33 this morning. Lest see how it feels when I walk in today! Had to take my flannel off yesterday as I got warm!:)

Thanks for checking on me! The final hours to prep for the big MAPLE weekend!

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 8:23am
Ahhh, you got combi boiler for hot water too. Good call. Yes they get busy but I think they’re worth it. Looks good.
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 9:05am
Very cool!

I was wondering why there were 4 coppers coming out of the boiler, then boom! Hot water in the shop!

Great job yet again, hope you have a great turnout and time! Looking forward t pics and recap!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 12:55pm
I am so impressed with that plumbing job, and the rest of the shop too, Great work.
We are expecting a snowapoclypse this weekend, one inch this evening, 15 tomorrow, another 7 on Sunday and maybe a bit more on Monday.  A neighbor showed me a picture of the meat counter he had taken at the local grocery store, there were like 3 packages left.  Thanks Dale, hope you come through this time, we really need the water your "Pretty" has in it!
Ray54 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ray54 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 1:08pm
Originally posted by JohnColo JohnColo wrote:

I am so impressed with that plumbing job, and the rest of the shop too, Great work.
We are expecting a snowapoclypse this weekend, one inch this evening, 15 tomorrow, another 7 on Sunday and maybe a bit more on Monday.  A neighbor showed me a picture of the meat counter he had taken at the local grocery store, there were like 3 packages left.  Thanks Dale, hope you come through this time, we really need the water your "Pretty" has in it!
Wink I wish you well on da "machine" coming through for you John. Hopefully he will get back to tending the dang "machine". As he has been working on a "new fog machine" with his "special" beans.LOLLOLLOL 

Good luck John I have not been getting much here. Only a .5 inch since the flood back in Jan. Had rain go both north and south of  us here on the coast. Getting close to the end of our rain season. Last report the Sierra Nevada mts are a 65% for snow.  
WF owner View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WF owner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 4:31pm
Are you going to use antifreeze in the radiant in-floor heat ?

Personally, I would. Most of us are not 20 any more. We don't like to think about it, but we could have an "event" at anytime that changes the rest of our life. If something happens and your wife doesn't want to run the heat all the time, it's an option if you have antifreeze. If you go somewhere for an extended period in cold weather and you have a boiler malfunction, it won't ruin the in-floor tubing.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by WF owner - 12 Mar 2021 at 7:05pm
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2021 at 7:40pm
friend had the power go out on his outdoor hottub...yup, water froze, it was NOT a pleasent site....
For SURE put antifreeze in any infloor heating system. I hate to think of the true cost of PEX freezing.OK, moving all the 'stuff' outta the basement might not be too bad BUT jackhammering up an ENTIRE floor then redo the PEX and concrete ! Yikes...oopsy, forgot, what about the WALLS ? All the interior walls would have to come out  'somehow' ! Yeesh, now there's electrical runs and ugh plumbing runs and grr HVAC maybe.
Dang it'd be a friggin NIGHTMARE....
best have GREAT home insurance AGAINST FLOODS, bet 'they' don't cover 'PEX problems due to freezing weather...probably a disclaimer saying YOU should have known the power could go off and frreze the building.....
sigh....
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3536373839 56>
  Share Topic