This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 4:16pm
 The new sheave was $250 ish. Again trying to make something out of nothing!

Looks good... been there , done that !! Thumbs Up   Clap
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 7:48pm
dang it Chris, WHERE do you find a WHOLE day to just play on YOUR stuff and COMPLETE a project ??? I need to KNOW your secret  !!
You got locks on the that pretty new shed ??
sigh....
all I did was
try to cut code to control furnace in garage, 1/4 dun
ripout the flakey RF wireless 'randomly open' GDO 'computer, 1/4 dun
moved 12 bundles of PEX foam boards for neighbour
work on a 'sled' for another neighbour
rewire a heater for another neighbor
put bandaid on his sliced finger, yuck....
tried working on air compressor air filter.. 1/4dun, maybe
designed SSQA electric lock/unlock system,looks good on paper, got some parts here
shovled some of Shameless 'donation'
tried installing cooling fan in oven, nope..back to drawing board
noticed rider/blower has  engine oil leak...needs pulling to fix,again...

sigh...

oh well, starting tomorrow, days are getting longer !!!!
probably gives me more time to not finish any of the above....

I did find out who has the most posts though !!

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 11:16pm
Sun is setting a few minutes later now, still coming up later in the morning for some more days though.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 6:40am
guess we should be able we can SEE the sun come up.........

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 6:56am
Jay,
Sounds like your very busy! I dont do much any more. Just happy to get up and get going most days! Try to start something that I had not done before. Thats gets lots of things started not much finished!
Our Pretty is melting!
Going to try to look at the F40 forklift fuel transformation today, again! This time we are going to look at the pump gas option! New carb kit waiting.
Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2020 at 3:22pm
  Yes I would be glad to do something. Friday my left elbow swelded up and was sore, started taking iveprfin swelling went down some this morning went to clinic cause getting to my doctor is impossible to get into cause he's only in one day a week, found out I have bursitis and red was moving out my arm towards my hand. setting around all day with elbow in the air and ice pack on it.

Edited by tadams(OH) - 22 Dec 2020 at 2:37pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 3:13pm
tadams,
 Yikes man its no fun to be hurting! We have things to do. Ok our minds say we have things to do!Smile

Folks,
Merry Christmas to all the Allis Folks!
Cheryl and I have not had a Christmas eve with just the two of us for 49 years! We had only been married 2 weeks!

On the Shop: Nic was here today and feels he is past the half way point of the rough wiring. Have a couple 220 lines to put in. One for Air compressor and a 50 Amp for the little Lincoln welder too. His plan is to come over Sat. and work on wiring too! He did get power to the two overhead doors on the west wall today! Nice!

I have to do some head scratching now on the next insulation moves. To foam the walls or not to foam the walls? That is the question?

Probably time to do a plus and minus chart along with the costs, and then throw a dart at the chart!Smile. Both systems would be good with the foam being the best draft sealing process. It would be more costly system. About a buck a day for the next 10 years.
Closed cell foam is the newer technology that was not there 30 years ago. And as far as fiberglass, I dont think they were putting R39 in attics back then either.  So good improvements in keeping the insides of a building more comfortable in all climates.

Honestly I could go either way. Sometimes I dont think about the heat of summer but I do know when its hot out, it sure is nice to not have a hot area to work in too.

Separate but related: I got my present I ordered for myself/shop today. A new chain guide for the Dayton 2 ton chain hoist! If I felt really foxy I could go put it together before I forget!

Yes mine was worn out!: (I was surprised to see this part came from West Allis Wi. Coincidence? I dont think so!)

Also delivered some maple gifts to neighbors across the road. They have to put up with me. Here is the view of our place, from their drive:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Dec 2020 at 3:19pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Gary View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 3:50pm

Chris

If you are still wiring, and I could make a suggestion.

Regarding your 220 volt comp., I recommend installing a switch for the compressor near the Exit Door and ceiling lights switch.

Then you can get in the habit of turning off comp. when you leave.

I installed a couple of electric heaters in my SHOP recently, and put the two switches by the door.

Got the switches on Amazon.

G

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B000HEIVZK?ref_=pe_1162070_123184320_dpLink

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 9:22pm
Gary,
 Thanks I will try to remember to mention that to Nic. Sounds like a good idea, because I am always going over and shutting the air compressor off for the night.

Folks,
 Christmas eve!
Well Since we have a place to hang out and work on things. And the chain guide arrived today, I decided to get the Dayton hoist back together this afternoon.  After the nap of course. Will be good to clear the bench.
The new chain guide and the repaired sheave look like the ticket to getting this machine back in operation! Got the gear assemblies back in place and no extra parts on the bench:

Added a thin layer of gray gasket cement and buttoned up the gear box.Then installed the electrical s. Will fill it with 90Wt gear oil in the next few days. Then do some trials.

Shameless was directing his machine towards Albion PA tonight. We got 3 inches in about 2 hours! Just awesome!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 24 Dec 2020 at 10:28pm
ORBill View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ORBill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Dec 2020 at 11:56pm
Chris
First. Thanks for the journey on your shop project!!! Enjoying every minute of it.
Second. I'll second Gary's air compressor switch suggestion.  That's what I did in my shop and the 3 small manufacturing facilities I set up and managed. The switch just needs to be in a convenient location where it's easy to use and reasonably close to the compressor. It's best to keep the length of your wiring as short as possible so you don't have to jump up a size, unless copper is cheaper in Pa. than Oregon. I would recommend a Leviton MS302-DS, it's similar to the one Gary recommended but with larger contacts and rated for motor switching. It's rated for 5 HP at 240V and has worked flawlessly on the single phase 5HP 30 amp 2 stage compressor I have.  $18.69 on Amazon, but probably less from your electricians wholesaler. I would suggest using a deep box as it's 2X larger than a std 30 amp switch. Makes it much easier to wire up.

Looking forward to the the open shop party when the Forum's Shop is completed, so please don't get too sidetracked on other projects along the way!

Bill
In snow free western Oregon
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 9:21am
Merry Christmas  everthing is looking great
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 10:47am
re: 220 for aircomp and welder.
I used the same receptacle style and wire feed for both air compressor and welder. That way either can be used at either location. Sure the welder plug on the aircomp is 'overkill' BUT it has allowed welder to be used at back of shop, an option I've used 3-4 times.

re: Shameless white... yeah, pretty til you TRY to move it ! grr..2" of white on top of 2" of VERY HEAVY watery white........

My air compressor don't leak air, so it's powered 24/7........remote switch sounds good though...

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Dec 2020 at 9:00pm
Bill, tadams, Jay, Folks,
 Thanks! Hope your Christmas Day was great! I was surrounded by family, great food and a good time!
I will try to remember to ask Nic about the electrical shut off switch too. Sounds like a pretty good idea.
My current air system leaks at the regulator, Guess I need to fix that! 
What do you guys recommend for air lines in the building?  I dont have anything except hoses from the regulator at the air tank now. I would like to have two drops at each bench in Z1 a drop on each side of Z2 (where I park my truck) and at least two drops in Z3 which is the, high bay area. So that means a hundred feet or more of piping/ joints/fittings/ drops, at least.

On my Electric Dayton hoist:  I need to make a chain bucket. It did not have one with it. I would like to use a piece of 6 inch PVC pipe about 16 inches long. Put a cap on the bottom and mount it under the hoist, to accept the extra chain. I dont think I will cut off any chain in case I want to have a longer reach for something? I do have the mounting bracket for the bucket.

Plowed for a hour or more today. Expecting another 4-5 inches of Pretty tonight also. Should end up with 16 plus inches!
Shut it down Shameless!! 
We are good here for a while!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 25 Dec 2020 at 9:04pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 1:00am
that there shop looks all warm and cozy as the pretty falls outside! it's to cold for me to walk over and slow down the machine tonight, maybe tomarrow? them silly Canadians left the door open again up there! Ted...me thinks your stolen wind machine is somewhere up NW of us. Darrell ND? Chris...i just ran regular air compessor hose along the walls/ceiling to get air elsewhere from the compressor, since no sun can get to it, it has lasted bouts 30 years so far. comes in dif lengths. when my big compressor gave up, i replaced it with a portable upright direct drive compressor, i like it better cause i can fill it and haul it (on my crane) to anywhere on the farm i need it. and it hooks up to the air hose in the shop too. it's alot quieter than the big upright i had before. i do enjoy seeing your work in progress on your new play pen!  ole Jay makes me tuckered just reading what he tries doing in his day! whew! oh....and leave the longer length of chain on your hoist, will come in handy if you need to pull something a bit closer to your work area, or hook up farther away from the center.  
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 8:25am
Shameless, Folks,
First the "pretty"! We have maybe 20 inches out there. Slow her down! Pull the plug. Turn it west, something!Smile
Good ideas on just using air line too!
I have tried to keep Jay busy on this project!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Dec 2020 at 12:28pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 8:39am
II put my air lines in 30 years ago also. All that was available at that time was air hose in 15- 20 ft lengths so i made that system. Today the most common system is PEX... just like your floor heat. You can make the lengths any length you want. In the Sons shop/ barn I put fittings at 20 ft intervals and you never have to move the compressor.  Run a line upstairs and put 1-2 in the attic also.  1/2 inch ID pex ( .485) is plenty big compared to the fittings on the ends.

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Dec 2020 at 8:41am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 1:05pm
Folks,
On the air line I do have a bunch of PEX. It says 100 PSI max on it. My compressor will put out a little more than that but for most things 100 PSI is plenty. I may look at that a little more too. Would need to find fittings and tool to crimp. 

Plowing snow and getting the Dayton Chain falls together today.

Its 31 F in our Forum Shop! Not the best conditions. Temp out side was around 20F last night, maybe a little colder? But I have worked in worse. Hummmm? Wonder how heated floors and some insulation would be????Smile Just sayin.......

Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 4:59pm
About the 8:30 mark on the movie , it shows the crimper and clamps i bought from Menards to use on the PEX air lines.. The brass fittings are the major cost of the system, not the tool, clamps or pipe...  They have TEE, 90 degree, and end like you would put at the top of a shower head (  pex in, 1/2 inch pipe out) to get to the valve or coupler at the end of the line.

Edited by steve(ill) - 26 Dec 2020 at 5:02pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 6:01pm
Runnng air is no different than water in a house. The 'mainline' needs to be 3/4" or bigger THEN you can have runs made of 1/2". While your current pressor is only 100#, when you replace it, odds are the new one will be good for 135 or 155#, so best to install 'future rated' lines today...save the labour & cost of upgrading later,let alone the pain of looking the guy in the mirror and saying 'I told you....."
Each 'drop' or 'station' or whatever you call them should have it's own  regulator/water trap unit as well as a shutoff(before not after...) .
All lines should be sloped away from the tank so water will accumulate in the water traps. A 'drop' consists of a shutoff then T fitting then4" nipple then pipe cap. The center of the T goes to the regulator and filter then quick connect. Yes it's a lot of plumbing,but you can slowly add 'drops' as required.
Always a good idea to get a drop near every door and every corner.
Another one of those 'do as I say, not what I did' sayings....

BTW you got a LOT more of 'pretty' than I did, whew.....
Jay

EricPA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EricPA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 8:13pm
Here's the pex tool I bought when I built our house. It has all the different size dies you'll need.
Apollo     Multi-Head PEX Crimp Tool Kit
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Apollo-Multi-Head-PEX-Crimp-Tool-Kit-69PTKH0015K/202525483

">Home depot pex tool
Life is tough,but it's tougher when you're stupid. - John Wayne
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2020 at 8:47pm
Guys,
Looks like we now have a PEX information central spot! I will try to look at and absorb all of this thanks for posting! I may get the PEX crimp tooling and use the same for some of my waterlines also!
I did look at the PEX that I have from the floor. It says PEX-b on it. PSI ratings looks good at like 175 PSI IIRC. It is only 1/2 inch so there might be some pressure drop in a long run.

So I decided to work on the Dayton hoist and try to button that project up. Good news: after filling gear box to appropriate level with 90 wt. gear oil, I had no leaks at the case halves!

The area that needed the chain guide and sheave repairs. Chain stripper seemed ok.

Ran out all the chain, plus tried both the up and down functions, it worked fine! No chain slipping! Set the upper limit switch.
Then ran out all the chain and assembled the chain stop about a foot from the end. Set the lower limit switch.

Rolled the Mig over and welded the chain stop sleeve back together.

Have to build the chain bucket, and get pickle cord shortened or looped to be the right length. Might actually be nice to have it longer sometimes to get a little farther away from the lift. Have a piece of cable to pull on the hoist rather than the control cord.

I think this is going to be a really nice addition to the shop! Like most of my other stuff it needed some attention to become operational again!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 26 Dec 2020 at 8:49pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Dec 2020 at 5:45pm
Folks,
 Took down the manual chain falls, preping the trolley for keeping the Dayton hoist centered.

Nic was over working on electric. I had him help me put the hoist/trolley up on the rail. Was not pretty but we got it. Several things to complete, chain bucket and the cords and pull cable.

Speaking of electric Nic went shopping for wire and lights.
This one is a dusk to dawn light, Very Bright! Lights up the whole back yard too.

We decided to put it at about the 14 foot mark, just under the window.

Its giong to be a nice addition to the building and area. He put it on a switch also just in case I want it dark back there.

Temps were a little milder in the low 40's today.
Regards,
 Chris

Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 9:18am
  Everything is coming into place nicely  

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Dec 2020 at 7:51pm
Folks,
 Daughter Kelly gave me this very nice Dewalt Shop radio for Christmas! 

Have been enjoying music through my phone using Pandora, linked to this unit! Nice and loud and clear!

Puttzed most of the day with small things. Like moving my Lincoln welder to a dolly cart. Trying to get all items to be easy to move. Since I will have to move them several times during insulation event.

Also talked to one insulation installer and they answered most of my questions about foaming the walls. (2 inches of closed cell foam would be around R15 and provides a thermal break and does not require a vapor barrier. Still in a head lock between foam and fiberglass. Well the ceiling is going to be R30 and R38 fiberglass batts. I have decided on that much of the project, which is the critical area to keep heat in the building.
Getting closer to a decision on that next big move in the continuing saga of the shop. 

Regards,
Chris

shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 12:03am
can i adopt your daughter? she gives GOOD stuff!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 9:13am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

can i adopt your daughter? she gives GOOD stuff!

Shameless, 
I did not know that this shop thread might affect your life! Just read your post about your plans to build! Wishing you and the misses the best in that adventure! And I will help you spend money..../ I mean plan/ follow your project, the best I can!
If you have just half the fun I have had it will be a hoot!
Regards,
Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2020 at 8:33pm
Last summer I was debating buying a new irrigation pump or just replacing the motor.  My 87 year old neighbor, who works harder then anyone I know, reminded me "caskets don't have pockets"!  I've been thinking and acting on that a bit more since then.  Gotta quit going to online sales tho!

Edited by JohnColo - 29 Dec 2020 at 8:34pm
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 1:06am
It's all coming together just right Chris.  So many good ideas from all the guys that I had to start a log book to write things down that I am going to do. LOL  LOTS of good ideas!!  Now if everybody would just send me some $$$ I'll be able to put them all into action.

I like that John, caskets don't have pockets.  I'll have to start remembering that.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 8:31am
Dang it why do they put the power button for the laptop right near one of the most used buttons on the keyboard? The back space button! Just lost a book I was writing! (You didnt want to read all the gory details anyway)
Well in summary:
 Getting the building insulated. Pulled the trigger with local contractor (all fiberglass) I know we can debate that till the cows come home!

Working on the jib crane/ hoist details.

Repairing items on the F40 forklift ( construction section)

Hope things are good in orange land!
 And yes I have used John's neighbors' saying several times this year! Thanks!
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Dec 2020 at 8:34am
FloydKS View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FloydKS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 8:47am
Chris... i am at the bottom of the totem pole on knowledge about commputers but if all you did was shut down the computer, your book still may be in there... hope so...

Holding a grudge is like taking poison and expecting the other person to die
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2728293031 56>
  Share Topic