This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
steve(ill) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steve(ill) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:11am
Boy has a barn/ garage/ workshop that is 40 x 50 with  10 ft walls... He had them spray foam up in the rafters onto the tin and basically flush with the perlons ( 4 inches).. That way you have the high clearance, no ceiling material cost, and feels very OPEN.... We put 1/2 inch CDX plywood on the walls afterward... nothing on the rafters.
Like them all, but love the "B"s.
Sponsored Links

Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 7:28pm
Folks,
 Well today was the final phase of digging around the shop. Added a downspout drain line to the east side of the sugarhouse. Then the final downspout from the shop out to the road. Weather has been cloudy, cold, and rainy so it was not the best conditions. Mainly moving mud, Playing in mud covering pipes in mud, filling in the trench with mud.

Back to Allis:
Here is my new toy:

If nothing else it makes a great coffee table:

Shop with orange:

Trying the new small heater in the sugarhouse. Works fine! Now to get the place insulated a little:

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 9:14pm
Nice little fork lift, nice to have in a shop!

farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:15pm
Is that a manual tilt mechanism on your new toy? Looks like it comes complete with it own little table of forks. It looks nice and they're handy to have!
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 2:34pm
farmboy520,
Folks,
I think your referring the the ratchet  binder on the top. Well the owner had that on there and I wasn't sure what was going to move or not so I did the same thing with just a chain. So I can give his ratchet binder back. And he wants the long set of forks back. My guess is they may have as much value as the forklift?
I watched and napped during several videos of working on the vaporizer and the fuel system. Have a general idea of how that all works. But it still pretty new to me. So I really should try to find a book or service manual for this unit too.
I will just keep poking around till Something breaks or works!Smile

Stay tuned, there will be more as you have come to expect from the shop!

Regards,
 Chris
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 6:18pm
Folks,
Not much happing as the weather turns rapidly to snow flurries and a chance of some accumulations today.

the 40 MPH wind and driving rain actually pushed a little water under the west facing overhead doors. I knew that was going to be a concern. We live on a hill and the west wind is brutal! It was a good test and could have been much much worse. 

My friend Brent stopped a couple days ago and he mentioned he had a trolley that he would donate to me for the jib boom. I went and picked it up this morning. It is bigger and heavier than I expected. I had to remove a spacer under the bolt heads on the jib boom assembly to allow the wheels to have clearance. It is soaking, and will get a good cleaning along with some fresh paint.  Pictures coming.
Now I need to find a electric hoist. The Harbor freight ones that pick 800 lbs might be what I end up with. Or I still have my uncles good chain falls from his shop. Which would be neat to use till I find something else.

We had rain this morning so I checked the drainage. WooHoo! Pretty exciting! (joking here). But things are working! Many gallons of water will be directed away from the buildings and the driveways too.

Thanks for checking on me.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Nov 2020 at 6:18pm
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 12:53am
that fork lift is a good idea for lifting a pool table up into the second floor area! i also think home depot rents the stuff to put spray foam in. and/or check with a rental company and see if they rent things like that, kinda like renting a paint sprayer. a buddy of mine divides his shop up in winter with heavy tarps on barn door rollers, easy to open/close and will hold heat awhile. he also just nailed plywood up in the rafters to divide the area needed so heat wouldn't just go up and thru the rafters. when room divides are not needed, just push the tarps up against the wall out of the way.  
farmboy520 View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote farmboy520 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 5:55am
This is almost like a good novel, turn in to find out what happens next!
On the farm: Agco Allis 9695, 7060, 7010, R66, Farmall H, and Farmall F20 (Great Grandpa's)
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 6:05am
re: jib crane trolley... be SURE to add TWO stops on the end ,so the trolley doesn't 'magically' go for a walkabout !!!! I have TWO sets of nuts/bolts on my garage door rails NOW as the ONE I had for 20+ years,'magically' unscrewed itself and left.....
re: hoist, yeah I HAD an 800# unit(same as HF I suppose)..somehow it left my shelf and went next door to be used in the contractor's elevator system....400 Canucks I'll never see..

I like the ditches of water,slow flow will allow the ground to firm up nicely...

My forklift will only raise up 9', mezzanine next door(my old shop)  is 10 feet. oh well
As long as yours lifts the couch/bed to my loft, I'm happy...LOL

3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 7:05am
Folks,
Humm, Not sure about the good novel thing?? Glad some folks are enjoying the ride too.
The winter weather has me inside and thinking thoughts of other projects like big old trucks! Yea I have another problem too! Dang My brain needs a rest.
Yes I hope that the yard and areas dry out good too. The slope from the neighbors and the clay soil = soggy bottom land.
Pool table in the loft, I had never though of that But it does sound good too.
I do need to get my interior walls started, so that the rough wiring can be started in the near future. Now that Nic has a couple deer in the freezer he may be able to start on this.
The trolley stops Yes they are made and have been fit up and even have the bolts ready. I agree, we dont want the trolley going out the end of the boom!
I need to clean up the trolley parts, repair one of the grease zerks, and get it in primer and re-fit up for this smaller rai. it was on a 5 inch wide H beam. This is a 3 inch wide I beam. Should be a simple as adjusting the center spacer!

Will try to get some pictures to go along with these words too.

First snow on the building today! Sure glad to have the big holes closed up!

Regards,
 Chris

john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:13am
An observation.  Will the municipality or county give you trouble with the drains going into their ditch?  Might wanna cut them pipes back to make them less noticeable.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:18am
nuther idea...
You may want to add switches on all the doors to turn the 'furnace' off when a door is up....
I just added one as the 'smart thermostat' for my garage furnace has a 40*F 'safety stat'...so if it gets below 40, the furnace will come on( and STAY On !!) until the room is above 40*F...
I found that out by opening door, went for tractor ride, 2 hrs later, ...yup I'm heating the World !!! arrrrrgh.....

Only in Canada, eh ????

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:59am
John,
Fortunate to live on a rural, road not a state road. So should be good. If not do they let you get on the computer from a jail cell? Anyway.
I was thinking about Jay heating the world. Guess we know where all this global warming stuff is coming from now!Smile
Ever have one of those days you run around doing a bunch of nothing and get your toes cold! Where is that warm floor heat when you need it? Supposed to be 70 by Sat!
I did take a bunch of pictures as promised. Just checked they are almost ready. 

Hey on a related picture note. I checked the old Photobucket accvount. All my pictures are there and they have changed the format. Humm Wonder if I am still paying them? Cant remember. Anyway good to see those still in place too.
First Fire in the shop:

First snow on the shop:

I must say this turned out better looking than I expected!

View to the west:

Jib boom rework of bolts to get the new trolley to clear the heads inside the rail. Yea they are that big, but should roll real nice. Notice how it misses the OH door rails by a good foot too!Smile

Jumbled floor layout means something to me, but hard for you folks to see:
Thinking air compressor location where the cardboard is laying:

One foot jog in wall (where the sq is laying) for the west walk door to open: Then a 9 foot x 8 foot high overhead door (between the two pine boards) to allow large items to be brought into Z1 area:

Base of the ladder is a wall. and the level is a proposed walk door between Z1 and Z2:

Moving east, just this side of the jib tower would be a proposed door opening 12 feet wide. The idea today is to have two slider barn type doors. Each 6 foot wide sliding in both directions. This set of doors would be between the two pine boards, and could be full 10 foot high with cannon ball type track. Since this is in Z2, it doesn't have to be air tight as the proposed temp is the same in the floor area . (If I ever get to heat in the floor?)

A stub wall would be on east side of this door and would allow the slider to go past and open fully, This would allow the room where my truck is to be closed off if desired? basically dividing Z2 into two rooms. Now this could be a overhead door also.

The old heater in the big uninsulated area didn't do much other than keep me alive.
Regards,
 Chris 

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Nov 2020 at 11:51am
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 1:55pm
Lowe's used to sell insulation for blowing and rent you the blower, or maybe( been to Long since I worked there) give you blower to use free if you bought so much insulation. Then you could blow your own ceilings.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 4:21pm
Folks, tadams 
Good suggestions for doing some of this work myself too. That could be a good option.  I think I could install battons of fiberglass with reasonable success? For some reason I am not a fan of the blown in insulation? Not sure why? I guess I always have some reason to get back into the area and not sure how to deal with the loose material?
Here are the parts for the trolley. Cleaned all the caked, oily, grease off. Will shine them up and at least get them into primer.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Nov 2020 at 4:26pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by steve(ill) steve(ill) wrote:

Boy has a barn/ garage/ workshop that is 40 x 50 with  10 ft walls... He had them spray foam up in the rafters onto the tin and basically flush with the perlons ( 4 inches).. That way you have the high clearance, no ceiling material cost, and feels very OPEN.... We put 1/2 inch CDX plywood on the walls afterward... nothing on the rafters.

Steve,
 Good suggestions on the insulation! Building is similar in size to what i put up. I bet you would not want to buy the plywood now? it might be double the cost? Things are going crazy. Availability is the even bigger problem. 
Not sure what these material costs are going to do to new builds?
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Nov 2020 at 10:22pm
don't fergits to paint the jib tower A/C orange, do it before you back into it!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Nov 2020 at 5:34am
SD,
 That has been the plan. Not sure I will get that done now? I tend to get paint on everything!Smile Maybe it will warm up enough to still get that project done yet this fall. Temps are supposed to be near 70F over the weekend.

I watched a couple videos of stair stringer layout and building stairs. I have built several sets of stairs in my life. Always good to brush up on the basics and details. Not much new in that area. Just need to do a accurate layout and accurate cutouts.
Regards,
 Chris
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2020 at 11:49pm
Taking a few days off Chris?
john(MI) View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote john(MI) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 12:43am
You need to sit down with a tee square and scale ruler and draw your interior.  Include all of the dimensions and then you can just take your blue print out and build it!  Probably use an 11 x 17 paper for the print.  It's a lot easier then the way you are trying to do it!  You want a looking down layout, and then a front view of each of the walls.  Put all of the dimensions, and any other things involved, switches, plugs, etc.  It's a pain, but it makes it a whole lot easier when it's time to build.  You probably want to insulate the walls between Z1 and Z2, so make note of those walls.  Either put in twice the receptacles you need or put in quad boxes at each location.  If you have any plans on where you plan on normally doing any work, wire in ceiling receptacles for retractable  trouble lights.
D14, D17, 5020, 612H, CASE 446
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 5:39am
As John says.. time for 'paper and pencil' ! It's a whole lot easier and CHEAPER to cut paper than buy lumber today !!
I downloaded a  1/4" square paper PDF, make a zillion copies, tpae them together to make a big, easy to see, 'building outline' Only draw in the FIXED items,like doors, walls, crane. Make cutouts for tractors, trucks, benches,etc. ANYTHING that will be in the shop( a couch and tv for my loft would be nice....).
While there are 'programs' on the Web for 'design layout' , it a whole lot easier using paper and cutouts. Even after 4 decades of staring into a CRT, I prefer REAL paper to design on !

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 7:50am
Folks,
Internet died at our place for a day or two after the rains. Yes almost went into withdrawals!
I designed the building using Google sketch up. I have worked in design for several years on drafting boards and CAD systems. I agree that a good detailed design helps a lot. But one of the things that you dont get on paper is the feel of the building and or the physical layout or the work flow or the walking paths. So Having a general Idea in my head I have been living/ working in and around the fake walls on the floor for several weeks now. This approach allows me to be a little more artistic and creative and also allows folks that come in the building to critique the layout too. I appreciate your input and your thoughts are right on the money. I have also been procrastinating a little and working on some actual projects in the shop.
Including:
-Changed the tires/ rims to winter ones on the truck. Was sooooo nice to have a smooth floor to work on!
- First welding project. Had  several spot welds on a air box for the FL40 (another thread)

- Also working on the FL40 (forklift project to see if I can get it running on LPG?) 

- Another load of 2B spread out with the Jubilee and back blade to get us out of the mud!

- Working on cleaning and painting of the rolling trolley for the jib crane. The tag cleaned up nice it is a 2000 lb trolley! Perfect! It may be PO#1 also! They will looks better! Just in clean up mode in these shots.
Replaced a broken push in zerk.
Large 4 inch wheels, should roll good.
Paint stripper is the gooey look.

- Brought the D17 home and packed it in the shop too.Sorry not a great picture.

- Worked on the TD6 hydraulic line issue. Just starting that repair project. Will not be pretty or fun. Messy, dirty, greasy, oily, ugly., heavy, lots of grunting, expensive, Perfect!

Thanks for checking on me! Hope things are good in Orange land!
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Nov 2020 at 8:07am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 11:31am
Folks,
 The jib crane trolley:

Had to replace another bad zerk. Put a nut on, clamped the old zerk in vice and turned the nut off, pulling the pressed in zerk. I wanted to be able to have grease in these!

Will get a final coat of rattle can PO.

Now to get the spacing set up (3 inch wide beam) So maybe 3.25? Then complete the assembly.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 06 Nov 2020 at 11:37am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Nov 2020 at 9:48pm
Folks,
 The trolley should come together tomorrow.

Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 6:30pm
Allis folks,

Used the Ford and old single disc to level some of the dirt around the building. Also hooked the cultipacker to the back and this helped level out some of the rough spots too.

Regards,
Chris

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 8:54pm
looks like the building is full already!
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 9:40pm
That is one slick 3pt set up on that cultipacker😉😉😉
Strokendiesel002 View Drop Down
Silver Level
Silver Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strokendiesel002 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2020 at 10:20pm
Looking great as always!

It's amazing all you get done, and how nice it all looks, every time!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:09am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

looks like the building is full already!
SD,
You are correct on that And I knew I had just enough stuff to fill it too. So I didnt want to make it any to large!Smile
Good eye you have there!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Nov 2020 at 11:11am
Originally posted by hd1937 hd1937 wrote:

That is one slick 3pt set up on that cultipacker😉😉😉
Jim,
 Just the old disc that you helped me set up as a weird 3 point with a JD 272 mower mounting system! Still working! Thanks! The cultipacker, well I may have a picture of that somewhere? I just drag it around behind. 
Regards,
 Chris
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1920212223 56>
  Share Topic