This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
shameless dude View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:35am
maple mustard???? 
Sponsored Links

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 1:36am
oh...and i see your smiling bride...does she get the upstairs or the downstairs of the new building? don't lie to us now! lol
jaybmiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 5:49am
gee, I don't see the need for a squeegee or a drain. If you're as neat and tidy in the garage as you are making that maple mustard !!! I'd had 3 bottles knocked over and the others 'slightly' over filled.....LOL
Now, when you have 5 minutes to yourself, take good , from across the shop, pictures of every wall and floor BEFORE the pour....you might need them as a reference 3 months from now. That's one thing I wish I'd done bacj in 86 when we tore this place apart...sigh.
Sure is a pretty 'sugar shack' BTW.
3 D-14s,A-C forklift, B-112
Kubota BX23S lil' TOOT( The Other Orange Tractor)

Never burn your bridges, unless you can walk on water
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2020 at 9:58pm
Folks,
Shameless:  She gets what ever she wants! She owns it I just live here!:)
The maple mustard. A sweet/ sour sauce, used on almost any sandwich, hot dog, sausage or ham, even makes a great salad dressing! After making about a 1000 of these each year I am getting the hang of it! We have a Maple BBQ also to compliment the mustard too! Both have a spicy version. you can visit us www.mapleandhoney.com or on facebook Casbohm Maple and Honey.

Jay, Thanks for the positive note on the sugarhouse, We have a lot of fun in there making syrup. Its not filled with steam so folks can set and visit! Love boiling on a cold, windy, snowy night!

Hope to have 200-300 folks visit for the Fall in Love with Maple Event.

Back to the topic, 
The cement folks will be here in the morning! I will try to remember to take lots of before pictures! 40 yards of 4000 psi cement, 5 inches thick with mesh. Will be power troweled but then hand troweled to give a smooth, but slightly textured surface. I did not want a glass finish. I don't want a slipping hazard.

Pressure was still in the PEX lines but continues to decrease the same in both zones with the temp decreasing, as they are in the 50's.(F)

Gutters/ down spouts, should be up Friday!:) 

My missing shop window is made and will arrive in Erie on the 7th. Wanted to go to West Virginia to pick it up but plant is not allowing any pick ups due to Covid-19.

Still getting stain samples for the wood siding.  
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 30 Sep 2020 at 10:04pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 6:55pm
Folks,
 I have cement! Lots of it! I think it looks great! 
Pump truck rolls in at 7:30:
4 inch hose:

Four loads of cement approx 10 yards each:

My third cousin Ed was one of the cement finishers!

They had about 1/2 of a 5 gallon bucket left over!:

They finished around 5:00 this afternoon. Power trowel then steel trowel hand finish.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 01 Oct 2020 at 7:53pm
D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2020 at 10:57pm
did ya write your initials in the wet stuff...and date?
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:29am
Man that looks real good ! I can smell it curing...sigh.....
Just HOW does the guy NOT lose his hat ??? AND not one splatter of concrete on it either !!!
bet we see kids on bikes goin found and round today !!!
never thought but the PEX keeps the wire mesh in a good height !!! Nuther reason for PEX !!!
You gotta be smilin ! Tired, but smilin !

Jealous Jay

DMiller View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DMiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 7:54am
Looking Great!!

Started considering another Shop building, big enough for Bigger longer stuff, Cannot get lumber at a decent price where Red Iron building is now cheaper than stick build.  Can get entire kit doors and all for a 40x80x16T three OH Doors Three Man doors and four window with insulation and skin for under $50, concrete another $45-60 depending on thickness and add ons.
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 10:40am
There's a 40 x 60 Quonset hut for free about 15 miles from me.....
'some dissassembly ' required though....
sigh.... friend in airforce retired otherwise ,he'd lift and drop(er, place) as a 'practise proceedure'...

Jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 4:45pm
Folks,
 I was impressed and tired watching them work. The boss is Ryan H., the guy with the good guys hat! He never stopped, same with his crew! Few words were spoken between the crew. Just head down and get it done!
If you notice in this picture during the final hand troweling, every right hand is in motion. Just like four machines!!

My third cousin Ed finishing near the big door. He has been finishing cement for 20 plus years. 

I let Ryan do the honors to put my signature mark in the cement. Several at each walk door and one at each side of each overhead door. 

Casey in blue did the troweling for the imprints:

Yes a sugar maple leaf imprint, What else would a sugarmaker do?Smile This was last minute decision, Cheryl had a plastic leaf about 4 inches across that was used. WD40 was the release agent! Happy with it!

Yes the PEX held the reinforcing mesh at least a inch off the foam. They never pulled it up at all. What it looks like as it comes up the north wall:

Casey and Scott were here to saw cut  the control seams this morning. We had to do some thinking on the cuts (1 1/4 inches deep).  No cuts could go through the proposed two post lift area. So we created a Bermuda triangle out from the drain towards the wall. The cross through bay has cuts that create a diamond shape wider at the jib crane and the drain opposite it.. 

Had a saw cut drain to drain here and we had to have at a angle since the drains were not in line. That's just the way it worked out in the north end of the shop.

Very pleased at this point with the finish and the work. They were very careful to clean up door jams and any areas that may have gotten splattered. Very nice work!

Bulkheads at the overhead door areas, will be removed over the weekend. 

Maggie was very happy she could be let out, and did a tour of the cement with me, checking everything out.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 02 Oct 2020 at 8:35pm
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 4:48pm
THAT is very IMPRESSIVE! Good job to all involved there, from start to finish!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 5:00pm
Dave,
 Thanks! As with most of my posts a little long and drawn out. But I try not to leave out any of the gory details!Smile
Stating to get concerned about the rest of the inside/outside work and costs!:)
 But really need to get the overhead doors in and the last window, and rest of the vinyl. Should be ready for bad weather at that time.  Oh and hoping we get warm weather to stain and install this lower hemlock siding too. Yea lots of moves yet to happen.
Thanks for checking in on me!
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jaybmiller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 6:26pm
Man I never thought about the saw cuts !! Someone would have had a LOT of 'rework' to do if even one cut found the PEX !!!
Looks like the crew did a FANTASITIC job and my back aches from just looking at the pictures. LOVE the maple leaf...kinda partial to them..
Hopefully you can relax, at least for one night, the worst is over....

jealous jay

Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2020 at 8:29pm
Thanks for the support Jay and folks.
I sure did not have all the details for the building in my head and I should have been more particular on the location of the drains for getting the saw cuts looking good too. But they will be fine and they are done. And will be there a long time!
I really did not have any worries about the PEX depth and the saw cuts. Staples and mesh were keeping it in place well.
Overhead door guy says he may have found my doors? Very weird stuff happening with materials during this pandemic time!
We wait and try to have things ready for the next moves in the quest to get completely dried in.
Archery season begins tomorrow. I may go out at some point in the next few week. That will be a good change of pace. 

Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 7:57am
Good luck with the deer! Bet you're ready for a change of pace.
tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 2:02pm
Yes set back and relax and do a little deer hunting that the way to go.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 2:26pm
No deer hunting for at least a week at least (I think). As I am preparing for our first ever Fall in love with Maple event. I just got done canning 15 gallons of syrup and making more Maple Mustard and Spicy Maple Mustard too.
I need to make maple peanut butter, maple candy, maple cotton candy, maple coated peanuts, and probably some other goodies too!
Then get some honey ready too. 
Thanks for checking in on me.
 Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 03 Oct 2020 at 8:39pm
DiyDave View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DiyDave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 5:41pm
Originally posted by Sugarmaker Sugarmaker wrote:

No deer hunting or at least a week at least (I think). As I am preparing for our first ever Fall in love with Maple event. I just got done canning 15 gallons of syrup and making more Maple Mustard and Spicy Maple Mustard too.
I need to make maple peanut butter, maple candy, maple cotton candy, maple coated peanuts, and probably some other goodies too!
Then get some honey ready too. 
Thanks for checking in on me.
 Regards,
 Chris

Got anything that goes on shrimp?Wink

[TUBE]4rT5fYMfEUc[/TUBE]

Just kiddin around!LOL
Source: Babylon Bee. Sponsored by BRAWNDO, its got what you need!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 8:39pm
Dave,
I am not much of a shrimp fan but I bet Maple mustard would be good on them. Just sayin....
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2020 at 10:21pm
i think i agree with that combo Sugar!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Oct 2020 at 7:06pm
Folks,
 Back to the shop! Adam helped me work on the area inside the double skirt boards. We added three layers of the 2 inch density foam, and a 2x4 nailer for the theoretical wall coverings to fasten to. That took most of the day, seems that all these details take time.
I started cutting the foam with a circular saw and it worked fine but sure made a mess. Adam suggested the small wheel of death (4-1/2 inch) grinder with the Lennox blade.
 It went about 1-1/2 through was easy to control and had way less styro-foam dust.
Some of these pieces were left over from the floor. 

This work filled the cavity and will provide some insulation value around the base of the building:

The third layer of foam was added after the nailer was in place and filled the back of the cavity.

Horizontally positioned wall 2 x 6 nailers will be added sometime in the future between the posts. These will be the areas to fasten the horizontal insulation battens to, and the future wall covering, which I have not decided on yet.

Local lumber yard has the material for the stair stringers, 2 x 12 x 18 feet long. Need three of those. I did not ask how much they were. Material prices have gone up 50% on some items it seams.

Was nice to be working on cement instead of the dirt floor! Water is still coming out of the floor as it is curing.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 04 Oct 2020 at 7:10pm
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 11:31am
     Yes, lumber prices have gone up to say the least. Priced some OSB at Lowes last week and it is about 3 times what I paid for it exactly 2 years ago when we constructed a building. Studs and other sizes about double. Some say price increase is due to hurricanes and some to the fires. A cousin in northern California says a lot of their lumber comes from Canada. Sees it on the railroad close to her house.
     Chris, your shop is looking good. Hope you get all the outside work done before it gets cold.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 11:40am
ac hunter, Folks,
 Thanks! I want to get this buttoned up before the snow flies, if possible! Lumber is crazy high. Hope it comes down. I was just lucky to get this material before the summer escalation began.
Hoping to get gutters this afternoon.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 2:49pm
   You might want to put a layer of wood over the foam. I am having trouble with the mice digging under my treated lumber and then chewing up there the styrafoam and getting into my walls on my building and layer of wood might help stop them.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2020 at 8:10pm
tadams,
 I dont like mice! In between the double skirt boards I put a layer of Styrofoam. then a pressure treated 2 x 6, then 3 more layers of Styrofoam. I hind site a piece of aluminum or steel would have been good in there near the bottom too.

So today the gutters arrived. 6 inch gutters, down spots at each corner.

65+ feet:

I had them put on the leaf guard also while they were here.

I thought it made the building more complete too!

Adam and i worked on removing the bulkheads from the doors. They were stuck pretty good! Ready for some fill.

Garage doors? Well they probably wont be here this week. So we work on other items. 
I did get the 5 gallons of WeatherSeal Rustic Pine color. Waiting for the Bug killer to add to the stain. Then I can start the application to the hemlock wainscoting.

Regards,
Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 05 Oct 2020 at 8:28pm
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shameless dude Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 1:53am
i bought 2-10x2x12's and 1-10x2x6 the other day, my bill came to $77. for them. just const grade.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2020 at 5:54am
Originally posted by shameless dude shameless dude wrote:

i bought 2-10x2x12's and 1-10x2x6 the other day, my bill came to $77. for them. just const grade.

SD,
Yes plan on lightening your wallet when you go to get materials! And dont assume they have them, best to call ahead and see. I had to use several lumber yards to find the items I needed.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 5:17am
Folks,
Its been a couple days. Still hitting at it. But added some pressure to do a Fall in Love with MAPLE event this weekend also. We have info on https://www.facebook.com/casbohmmapleandhoney
Anyway we hope to have visitors to our sugarhouse and shop for the event.
The shop, well its not done on the outside but we are making progress. The missing window came in Wednesday morning. Dale and Adam helped me install it and the remaining vinyl siding:

Here was the view to the west Looks like Persian orange to me!

Stain and bug juice came in so I brushed this on some of the hemlock:

Here is a glimpse of the finished look on a portion of the back of the building:

Hope things are good out there in Orange land!

A shot of Cooper and I on the wide front WD Yea I like Fords too!:):

The WD45 ready for the tractor show at the event this weekend:

Regards,
 Chris
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 7:28am
    Chris,
     Good luck with your maple event this weekend. Looks like good weather and a good line up of lawn tractor equipment. Is that all AC stuff? But doesn't look orange or is it just the evening light?
     The wood looks great on your shop too. Keep up the good work and pictures  so we can keep tabs on you.
     Russell. 
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Oct 2020 at 1:59pm
Yes that wood stained up nice and looks great on the building. Tom
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1415161718 56>
  Share Topic