This site is not affiliated with AGCO Inc., Duluth GA., Allis-Chalmers Co., Milwaukee, WI., or any surviving or related corporate entity. All trademarks remain the property of their respective owners. All information presented herein should be considered the result of an un-moderated public forum with no responsibility for its accuracy or usability assumed by the users and sponsors of this site or any corporate entity.
The Forum Parts and Services Unofficial Allis Store Tractor Shows Serial Numbers History
Forum Home Forum Home > Other Topics > Shops, Barns, Varmints, and Trucks
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shop Talk

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 56>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Sugarmaker View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2021 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by ac hunter ac hunter wrote:

Chris, That is one neat truck, fantastic condition and looks like the tires still hold air. And a side mount spare and look at those turn signals!!!! I can see how you couldn't pass it up. Will you restore to original, what color paint?  Does the dump body raise with a manual crank? Looking forward to watching progress on this project too. Bet you can't wait to get started.

ac, 
great questions. One tire is totaly shot but he said it might hold ait long enough to gedt it loaded!:) Yes this is one of those things that when you pass on it its not coming back around again. I remember a GTO I passed on that would have been a great classic ride!
I dont have plans for full restoration, Current initial idea is just a clean up, and leave it its "work clothes" for a while. I need to learn a lot. The value of these are actually going down. Too many antiques on the market I guess. Old farts dying every day.

The current body color is a teal blue. green. Cheryl likes that color and we had several newer Ford vehicles in similar color. Fenders are black.

The dump is hydraulically actuated with a PTO off the tyranny ( I think)
The dump is a Galion brand, same as  the road graders.

I am trying to temper any immediate actions with the fact this truck has not had a wrench on it in many years! And I have lots of work on the shop to complete. This might be a winter project??

I did try to outline some basic goals: Folks always ask "what the heck you going to do with that thing?"

1. Get this thing out in the light of day for others to look at it too!
2. Take it to some antique shows this summer, even if a static display.
3. Normal mechanical concerns, engine is stuck, find out why.
4. Brakes need complete review from pedal to pads (mechanical)
5. Have some fun along the way, meet some new folks, find some needed parts etc...

Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
Sponsored Links

tadams(OH) View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:46am
Better find a place to buy penetrating oir by the case and start soaking.
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 12:18pm
Can get WD-40 by the gallon but the refill bottles are now scarce
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2021 at 10:07pm
Allis folks,
 I did work on shop items today. End tables and coffee table.

Rounded the corners as Dave K suggested. Here laying out for the supports to be added to capture the 3.5 inch dia of the belt pulley shaft.

End table with 1.5 inch spacer block to raise them a little.

Coffee table out of the weld shop for trial fit up and testing. Seems like it will work. Pulley bases make the tables pretty steady too. 

Maybe sandblast and paint PO#1???
Regards,
 Chris

D17 1958 (NFE), WD45 1954 (NFE), WD 1952 (NFE), WD 1950 (WFE), Allis F-40 forklift, Allis CA, Allis D14, Ford Jubilee, Many IH Cub Cadets, 32 Ford Dump, 65 Comet.
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 1:27am
Ya know, put a vice on the double leg one and you have a work bench/welding table!

Edited by JohnColo - 04 Jun 2021 at 1:27am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 6:56am
John,
Well yes! Shouldn't every coffee table have a small vice mounted on it? I think that is a great idea too. I will look for a small antique vice.
 Regards,
 Chris
IBWD MIke View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IBWD MIke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Jun 2021 at 9:23am
Originally posted by plummerscarin plummerscarin wrote:

Can get WD-40 by the gallon but the refill bottles are now scarce

Where I work, they buy that crap in 55 gal. barrels!
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 10:49am
Yeah, use the vice to hold your coffee or beer, a vice for a vice!
Chris, I'm sending you a PM with info for our potential visit.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 9:08pm
John,
 i like the concept!
 Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2021 at 11:08pm
Folks,
 Had special guests from the Allis Forum fly all the way from Colorado to vist. Yep JohnColo and his friends Dale and Jimmy came up Thursday to visit and we had a real good time. Hope John got some pictures! I was too busy flapping my gums!

Another week and I can start to put up the wood on the interior walls.

Used the jib today to lift the wheels/tires from the 32 Ford up and onto the F250.

Finishing up Jims Doodle Tug and should get his Doodle bug in the shop next week.

Also the shop works real good for working at night on the 32!

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 11 Jun 2021 at 11:24pm
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 1:29pm
Lit up like dasytime in there looks great
Dave in PA View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave in PA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 3:36pm
Chris,  If I knew that John was coming in on Thurs.  I would have left work at 2pm when I was done, been there by 330 and surely to meet another fine AC man!  Glad you guys had a good time!  Now for his pictures!!!
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2021 at 9:20pm
Dave,
 I thought of you too. That would have been good to have you come up also. John is visiting and he told me he was not real good at the picture loading.

Here I pulled through the shop to unload the 32.
(that other picture was way too big)
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 16 Jun 2021 at 8:47pm
JohnColo View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JohnColo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 10:42am
Thanks again for taking the time to allow us to visit.  We talked about all we saw on the ride home, you are such a gracious host and have a very interesting bunch of toys and projects!  I need to learn how to post pics, my significant other has offered to help, I need to take her up on the offer.  Are you still thinking about the CA?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2021 at 8:51pm
John,
 It was great I flapped my mouth so much I didnt take any pictures! Not like me! Sorry!
really enjoyed meeting you Jimmy and Dale! I had a great time. Thank you for making the trip and the drive. Hope the birthday party was good!
A CA might be a future project. I have way more than I will ever get done, and I need to continue working on the building too.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 7:03am
Folks,
As we have a new toy/project in the shop I was able to put the jib crane to work for a small task. Lifting these split rims and tires to the truck bed very easily. The jib and hoist really work well so far. The WD bearings in the pivot and nice big rollers on the trolley make for very smooth moves. Sorry this is dark.

Yea I could still pick these up and throw them in there but the jib did the job so much easier!

We have some rain today so working on the 32 and running errands will be the projects. Maybe a nap too?

Yes the hemlock is dry enough to start the interior wall project.  It has been stickered for a month. Sure glad I did that, as it would have molded between the boards! I plan to coat it with a clear Varathane product, cut to size, install with white trim screws. Yea its going to take all summer to get that done. But that is the plan. I need to get it done before October for our next big Fall in LOVE With Maple event.

I was talking with Cheryl and told her I plan to play hard this summer! Last year was head down and work on the shop project!
This year:  with tractor shows, tractor pulls, maybe hauling the 32 to some shows, helping at the Steam show grounds, trying to keep our place mowed, and the garden weeded, and working on this 32 Ford! That should take us right into winter! Looking forward to some deer hunting this year too.
Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 21 Jun 2021 at 7:07am
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 2:42pm
  That's only 4 where's the other 2, our going to make another trip with them?
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 6:39am
Originally posted by tadams(OH) tadams(OH) wrote:

That's only 4 where's the other 2, our going to make another trip with them?
t, 
Three were at the shop for a week. These are the rears. Brian the tire man is pretty sure he will not be able to save these tires. 
Many moves on the shop need to be done, and I am busy playing with big toys! 
Regards,
 Chris

Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 9:14am
Good idea on those tires Chris. Thumbs Up More brains and less brawn.  Good for your back too. Clap

Do you happen to have Microsoft Word?  Sounds like you need it.  It will allow you to 'save' your work as you go along, so when you're falling asleep, the work you've done is saved.  I've got mine set to 'save' every ten minutes.  It sure saves me a lot of headaches when you fall asleep or the puter just goes on vacation. Wink

Questions!!

WHERE and HOW did you find that 32?  I'm like Jay, I'm drooling too and VERY jealous.
Have LOTS of fun with it.  I like the idea of the work clothes.  Just some good washing and buffing compound to 'kind of' shine it up.
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 9:11pm
Ted,
 I belong to a local tractor club. They send out a news letter. The truck was advertized in there just below a Allis Model B add by another person.
I called the number and got a little bit of info over the phone. Set up a appointment a week later and went to see the truck with a friend. it was about 30 miles from me.
Looked it over. Him hawed around for a couple more weeks and made the owner a offer. Another week or so I went back with a Model A Ford expert and he agreed that the truck was pretty good. 
I bought it. 
Have been having fun working on many items. Today We worked on the brake rods for the mechanical brakes.
 Regards,
 Chris
hd1937 View Drop Down
Bronze Level
Bronze Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hd1937 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2021 at 10:13pm
Chris,
An update is needed to your signature.

Jim
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2021 at 6:49am
Originally posted by hd1937 hd1937 wrote:

Chris,
An update is needed to your signature.

Jim

Humm,
Guess I do have a new toy that could be listed in there too!
Regards,
Chris
Ted J View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ted J Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2021 at 8:36pm
Wish I had some stock in ATF and Acetone and WD40....
"Allis-Express"
19?? WC / 1941 C / 1952 CA / 1956 WD45 / 1957 WD45 / 1958 D-17
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2021 at 9:28pm
Folks,
Still out in the shop doing things! Pulled the engine from the 32 truck with the jib and Dayton hoist. Worked very good! Hope to start interior wall covering (vertical hemlock shiplap)  in next few weeks.
Stuff all over as usual with me. 17 projects seem to be started. Not many finished. Daughter just bought a Massey Harris Pony tractor and Woods deck (59 inch). Had to go through the carb and clean and set float.  Its old but cute! Should work real good in here Walnut grove.
Regards,
 Chris
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2021 at 9:48pm
Folks,
A year ago it was sticks in the dirt:

Went to town and came home with another Rigid AC9964 folding cart for the other DeWalt saw.

Also picked up 20 boxes of the white trim screws for the interior wood (upper wall covering)
 And some of the Varathane in satin for the coating on the wood:

Applied some to some prototype samples, Will see what it looks like when dry. Looks like milk going on the wood.

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 27 Jul 2021 at 9:48pm
plummerscarin View Drop Down
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plummerscarin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 7:37am
My how time flies. Great looking building
Orange Level Access
Orange Level Access

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tadams(OH) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2021 at 2:04pm
 Hope the weathers cooler over there than it is here, when 90 or so here in Ohio the last couple of days pretty hot to be over doing it.
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jul 2021 at 7:02am
Plummer, t,
Thanks! Yes a little cooler today. Has been very warm here too. Had to consume mass quantities of that Colorado mountain blue water!:)
Here is the hemlock prototype with two coats on the Varathane. Looks to be about right.

Taking the 32 engine apart today. 

Found missing Babbit, broken rings, Yea glad I did not try to start this old engine. Raining now so will finish the tear down today and get the components to the machine shop soon. This shop has been a good thing to have on the property. Haven't regretted any of it yet.
Grandson Mike in the shop with the 32:

Regards,
 Chris

Edited by Sugarmaker - 29 Jul 2021 at 7:05am
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sugarmaker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jul 2021 at 9:44pm
Folks,
Jim from Bugs & Tugs came over to the Rehab Center and helped me move some things. So I can get started back on the shop wall project.
First we rolled the 32 Ford outside for some sun:

Jim tried the F40 forklift out in the gravel drive. Nope not going to work, too soft! Had to drag it back in with the WD45:

Getting set up for wood working. 

Switched the boards around to the smooth side into the room. A nice clean look. Two coats of the Varathane Clear. Using trim screws (white) for fastening to the horizontal girts.

Regards,
 Chris
ac hunter View Drop Down
Orange Level
Orange Level

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ac hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2021 at 7:43am
Chris,
     You certainly know how to make things look nice. Keep up the good work. Russell.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4445464748 56>
  Share Topic